Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-16-2016, 09:20 PM   #337
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Just to remind everyone in a recent magazine comparison that included a CTS-V and a Hellcat, the CTS-V was faster to 60 and the 1/4 mile. If the weight of the ZL1 is where it okay to be, the ZL1 should just a bit faster still.

So th the Hellcat may not win quite so easily.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:22 PM   #338
EstebanVerde

Drives: 16 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Good catch!

Proportionally speaking, the Z06 got less expensive than the Camaro SS did, generation over generation.

And the CTS-V has a new "because Cadillac" premium, as does the whole CTS line. It's artificially expensive.
Yep that was actually one of my favorite parts of the post. I think it looks great.
EstebanVerde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:24 PM   #339
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Just to remind everyone in a recent magazine comparison that included a CTS-V and a Hellcat, the CTS-V was faster to 60 and the 1/4 mile. If the weight of the ZL1 is where it okay to be, the ZL1 should just a bit faster still.

So th the Hellcat may not win quite so easily.
And don't forget that 10 spd auto, that should make a difference after hearing how fast that thing shifts with little power loss between shifts it really hangs up there in the power band.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:25 PM   #340
RagingHawk

Drives: Fuel efficient compact sedan :)
Goddamn GM slow it down, lol. The Camaro has an amazing lineup this gen, it just keeps getting better and better. Such amazing value, the lineup is competing very well with imports, domestic and european.

Love the spoiler on it, honestly this will probably be very hard to get your hand on. It looks so damn aggressive.

Last edited by RagingHawk; 03-16-2016 at 09:35 PM.
RagingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:27 PM   #341
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Wow, amazing car. Thanks for the outstanding write-up.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:41 PM   #342
GoneBoy

Drives: '17 ZL1
I think it's pretty clear now that gm wasn't aiming for the hellcat with the zl1. That car epitomizes what a one trick pony is, albeit a bloody fine one trick pony.

Nah, gm is telling the world that's it's come to play.... And definitively and finally win. No more being a 'sloppy budget conscious' 2nd. The ss KO'd the m4. The zl1 will outduel performance vehicles that soar well above the $130k range.
GoneBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:42 PM   #343
neal_zack

Drives: 2016 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post
Sounds like I got you all agitated and mad... LOL. And of course it's normal since you do drive a hellcat. Couldn't handle the reality of it I guess.

WITH DR's key point right there. Just watch what the ZL1 will be doing on the strip let alone the actual real competitive section the road course TRACK. Not a straight line where you actually you know, turn. Which is the EXACT memo I am talking about. ALL AROUND performance. Not just on a straight line. There is always a faster car, don't involve and modding into this no matter how simple or complex it might be. I have seen in person 2 challenger and a charger hellcats get embarrassed 2.3 liters. I could also care less about "getting embarrassed by a hellcat". There are 2 of em in town, both owned by great guys, I am not anti hellcat by no means, I think it's great what Dodge did but like I said. It's good for ONE thing.

The 455hp SS has the same tire width stock as a 707hp vehicle. So not only will I spend 25k extra on top of my SS and I would have to spend extra money on a car where it should've had stuff from factory for it to actually do what it was created for? STRAIGHT LINE ONLY. I would take a viper over a hellcat any day. That I will have massive respect for. A hellcat? Meh. Feel free to keep your hellcat since it's the greatest straight line car of all time. Oh and trust me. It is NOT a financial issue for me to NOT get a hellcat.

It comes down to an all around fantastic car or a car that does one thing great? That is not even a question in my book. Welcome to the 21st Century where performance both on the strip AND road course/circuit, comfort, MPG, technology is an ALL IN ONE package. That's "what the hell" I am talking about.
well said turk!
Old 03-16-2016, 10:19 PM   #344
tdp1

Drives: 2012 SS
Too much over the top.
tdp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:23 PM   #345
tdp1

Drives: 2012 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
And don't forget that 10 spd auto, that should make a difference after hearing how fast that thing shifts with little power loss between shifts it really hangs up there in the power band.
Hahaha , he said automatic. A couple more gears and it'll be a Kenworth!
tdp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:12 PM   #346
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post
Sounds like I got you all agitated and mad... LOL. And of course it's normal since you do drive a hellcat. Couldn't handle the reality of it I guess.

WITH DR's key point right there. Just watch what the ZL1 will be doing on the strip let alone the actual real competitive section the road course TRACK. Not a straight line where you actually you know, turn. Which is the EXACT memo I am talking about. ALL AROUND performance. Not just on a straight line. There is always a faster car, don't involve and modding into this no matter how simple or complex it might be. I have seen in person 2 challenger and a charger hellcats get embarrassed 2.3 liters. I could also care less about "getting embarrassed by a hellcat". There are 2 of em in town, both owned by great guys, I am not anti hellcat by no means, I think it's great what Dodge did but like I said. It's good for ONE thing.

The 455hp SS has the same tire width stock as a 707hp vehicle. So not only will I spend 25k extra on top of my SS and I would have to spend extra money on a car where it should've had stuff from factory for it to actually do what it was created for? STRAIGHT LINE ONLY. I would take a viper over a hellcat any day. That I will have massive respect for. A hellcat? Meh. Feel free to keep your hellcat since it's the greatest straight line car of all time. Oh and trust me. It is NOT a financial issue for me to NOT get a hellcat.

It comes down to an all around fantastic car or a car that does one thing great? That is not even a question in my book. Welcome to the 21st Century where performance both on the strip AND road course/circuit, comfort, MPG, technology is an ALL IN ONE package. That's "what the hell" I am talking about.
So because I didn't add a "lol" in my post, that makes me mad and or agitated? Yes I currently drive a Hellcat, the car I had prior was a 2012 ZL1, what exactly is your point again? Once again, you are talking to someone whom has had a 2010 SS/RS, 2011 SS/RS, 2013 1LE and a 2012 ZL1.

I know the ZL1 is marketed as an "all-around" performance vehicle, that is what made me fall in love with it in the first place, it wasn't the King at anything honestly but I was content with it exterior/interior and performance wise. It was a great Daily driver as well. Then REALITY set in and I purchased the 2015 Challenger Hellcat, lol. Well you know, because I wanted to. (I added a "lol" in there for you). I will sit and watch once the numbers are released on the ZL1 and make my determination to buy one then.

Tell me something I don't know about the car I already own. I know my car is good for 1 thing, and that's the strip/straight line and pick-up and go fun which is fun. Its disadvantages didn't hinder me from making the purchase. I'm not the type of driver that is going to take my car to a road course/track. Even when I had my ZL1 it never saw a road course/track. I had the capability to do it, I just choose not to. The only fun I had was on the highway, stop and go traffic and even from the roll. You can sit here and be honest with yourself or lie to impress but as I stated only a handful of owners will take it to a road course/track, the majority will take it to a drag strip if they even decide to use it for its purpose. The others will just drive it because well you know, they just want to.

I love how you threw your finances in there, lol. (there is another "lol" in case your counting) I'm sure you could afford one, and a million other cars but REALITY is you drive a SS/RS. To each his own. You own what you own because that's your life and I own what I own because I'm living my life the way I want to. Just like I could have a Viper, which I could honestly but being 6'2 and 220lbs I don't think I'd be comfortable. Point is anyone can say they can afford a car, but ut oh, I don't want to say it, BUT reality comes to mind.

All in all, I still don't know "what the hell your talking about". I'd be happy to race you on the DRAG STRIP for pink slips in your "all around performance" SS. I'm in San Diego, CA. Plenty of tracks around for your liking.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:31 PM   #347
mxkx250

Drives: 12 ZL1, 98 Camaro SS, 67 RS/SS
Send a message via Yahoo to mxkx250
I love this car. Will have to wait till MY18 though. My 12 will be paid off then, Maybe by then there will be deals to have like there was in MY13, the second year of the 5th gen. ZL1. I love the red in the pics, would 2 red ZL1's be too strange? I like the light color cars because with a black or Gray there isn't enough contrast and the front and rear diffusers. Maybe if the gray is as light as the illustrations in the build and price site it would be allright. Silver or Blue would be my other choices.
I bought my 12 because I thought there would be no way that there was going to be this level of cars available for us for long. I thought with the EPA and the GG tax, we would not be allowed to even pay a tax and buy it. I was wrong, happily, and will have a 6th gen also. Might try and find a low mile MY17 just to have the 50. Would be kind of cool to have a 67 and a 17, 50 years apart is just mind boggling to me.
I'll be getting the M6 because I have never been an auto guy. Just my 67, with a PG and my Avalanche with the A4 are my autos. My 73 has a 4 speed, my 98 SS has a M6, My 12 ZL1 has the M6. and my Cobalt SS has a M5. I know they say the new autos are faster but I just don't like how it feels.
1998 Camaro SS, Red, M6.
1986 IROC-Z, Red, A4,
1973 Camaro Motion Tribute, Blue, 454, M4
1967 Camaro RS/SS, Black, 350/295, A2,
2008 Avalanche LTZ, Black, A4
mxkx250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:24 AM   #348
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpectre View Post
Knowing FCA (and I love the Challenger), that 'Cuda is still probably nothing more than vaporware at the moment.
Rational thinking says the Challenger, at least in the current issue has about run it's course. When Chevy didn't change the Camaro for so many years (Gen 4) people stopped buying them and Chevy stopped making them. These folks have to update their models every once in a while.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:41 AM   #349
TheSpectre

Drives: Boxster GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
Rational thinking says the Challenger, at least in the current issue has about run it's course. When Chevy didn't change the Camaro for so many years (Gen 4) people stopped buying them and Chevy stopped making them. These folks have to update their models every once in a while.
FCA released a 5 year plan in late 2014. The Challenger, as it currently exists, will cease after the 2018 production year.
TheSpectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 06:04 AM   #350
John Galtman
Banned

Drives: s coupe
I doubt that zl1 will be faster than the hellcat on a straight line.

Its gonna be a close race
John Galtman is offline   Reply With Quote