Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-05-2014, 04:48 PM   #1
Bigtime53

Drives: 2013 ZL1
TRADE MY ZL1 FOR A COPO?

I have found a COPO camaro and I am thinking about selling my Z or trading it in. I know trading is not good cause I could get more by just selling it. Do you think the COPO will gain in value in say 10 years? I know the ZL1 is not going to gain any value in 10 years unless GM stopped today making them but that is not going to happen. I imagine the ZL1 will be around in 2015-16 so I think these cars are going to be like any production car and not like the "limited" COPO which should gain over the course of time. Now I know the COPO cannot be driven on the street and cannot be titled but I am thinking in the long term here. What do you think?
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:58 PM   #2
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
I hate to state the obvious, but you know you can't just drive around in the COPO. Don't know what you do with your ZL1 now. But unless you simply garage the COPO you'll need a trailer and a capable vehicle to take it anywhere.

I'd love to have one. Same as with the Z/28, I personally am not willing to give up my ZL1 to get one.

Value, sure, a garaged COPO might be worth something sooner, might. Generally no car is actually a good investment. Sounds great to get a '69 matching numbers SS and invest in it for a while. Problem is you have to pay to keep them up. Only the rare exceptions end up being worth more than you've got in it.

All I'm saying is if I were you I wouldn't get one because I looked at it as an investment. If I had the means I would get one because I wanted it knowing that if I ever got rid of it I'd lose money, same as the ZL1.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:59 PM   #3
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I can think of better ways to increase my net worth than to buy a car and park in the hopes that it will return an investment. For me I would rather have a car that I can enjoy.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:05 PM   #4
I call it Vera

Drives: ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime53 View Post
I have found a COPO camaro and I am thinking about selling my Z or trading it in. I know trading is not good cause I could get more by just selling it. Do you think the COPO will gain in value in say 10 years? I know the ZL1 is not going to gain any value in 10 years unless GM stopped today making them but that is not going to happen. I imagine the ZL1 will be around in 2015-16 so I think these cars are going to be like any production car and not like the "limited" COPO which should gain over the course of time. Now I know the COPO cannot be driven on the street and cannot be titled but I am thinking in the long term here. What do you think?
I see no point in buying a COPO unless you are going to the drag strip. I do not see it as a collectible. You'll pay a lot more for it.

Better to drive you ZL1 into the ground, and put the difference in a low yield CD. you'll come out ahead.

Do you go to the strip alot?

It doesn't even have a VIN. I wouldn't buy anything I couldn't put on the street.
I call it Vera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:15 PM   #5
Bigtime53

Quote:
Originally Posted by I call it Vera View Post
I see no point in buying a COPO unless you are going to the drag strip. I do not see it as a collectible. You'll pay a lot more for it.

Better to drive you ZL1 into the ground, and put the difference in a low yield CD. you'll come out ahead.

It doesn't even have a VIN. I wouldn't buy anything I couldn't put on the street.
I know it does not have a vin and all of the other stuff. I would not race it I would put it in my climate control building and store it. I simply was wanting thoughts of the forum if it would be collectable in say 10 years and increase in value. 25 to 30% would be great in that amount of time,{I don't know if it would increase that much}and that is sure more than any cd would pay.
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:26 PM   #6
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by I call it Vera View Post

Low YIELD CD = close to nothing - inflation and you are in negative territory , just like the COPO CAR
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:35 PM   #7
Fast92RS

Drives: 2013 Zl1
IMO the ZL1 and Z28 will be worth more in the future as a collectible
Old 01-05-2014, 06:36 PM   #8
onewaydave
Innocent Bystander

Drives: 2013 ZL1 BRM/2002 35th SS/2009 GMC
Keep the ZL1, later add a COPO!

Living on the RaGgEd EdGe!
onewaydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:52 PM   #9
nitto85
Caffeine Injected

Drives: 13 Ram - 05 Widebody 1050rwhp Vette
Buying a car as a investment is a bad idea, unless you get something that is already 40+ years old and in good condition.
COPOs are cool, but guys on here have built just as fast if not faster, nicer, for less and can be driven on the road.
nitto85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:56 PM   #10
jayb53guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast92RS View Post
I agree with this. The COPO quite honestly is just a race car, and something to just say "I have one" in my opinion.
jayb53guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:23 PM   #11
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast92RS View Post
In my opinion buying the COPO as an investment over a ZL1 or Z28 is not a good idea. Historically the only race cars that have increased in value have a winning lineage with multiple NHRA / AHRA championships with well known winning drivers. Holding onto a non raced Race Car that cannot be street driven will not increase in value as much as the ZL1 and even more so the Z28. There will be over 10,000 ZL1's built by the time the run is over. With Z28's costing over $75,000.00 each the number purchased will be far less than 10,000. If it was my money and wanted to store a car without driving it, I would pick the Z28. However, that is not what these cars are built for. Drive your ZL1 and enjoy it and find a better way to financially invest your money if your goal is to have your money work for you. Good luck with your decision.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:38 PM   #12
cdjnight

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6
my 2 cents is by an SS cut it up and make a fake COPO. beat the living crap out of it for half the money, end the end sell it, some clones bring pretty penny just because they can be titled and driven on the street which is what most enthusiast want to do now and then
Old 01-05-2014, 08:53 PM   #13
Zl1 #586

Drives: 2016 Z06/07
My .02 listen to everyone on here that is warning you not to buy one as an investment there are many more practical way to invest in the future.
That is unless you have discretionary income that allows this choice
I personally buy unique vehicles to drive and enjoy and to mod till it hurts
Here's the latest
Attached Images

Zl1 #586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:56 PM   #14
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
I like what Jay Leno said one time. Cars are meant to be driven and enjoyed. Enjoy it until it gets run down then restore it and drive it some more. Not a direct quote.
Keep your Z and enjoy it.