Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-25-2021, 08:11 PM   #15
PaulsSS

Drives: 15SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyz28 View Post
Buy a new uncut key fob from either amazon or keyless remotes. Take to locksmith and have cut. Programming is easy. Turn key to on position and off with your working key and remote. Now put in your new key fob and again turn to on and then off. Key fob should be programmed. My car has let me program an additional 3 keys.
I can't get it to work. I bought another fob from ebay but it won't program to the car.
PaulsSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:06 PM   #16
PaulsSS

The battery in the new fob was dead.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:43 AM   #17
mbesman
Great White

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
I had 1 working fob and key. Bought new ones online and made sure I bought a fob with the same serial number. Had the keys cut for 35 apiece at a locksmith shop. Higher price because laser cut. He then programmed 2 fobs for 75. Basically took 5 minutes to do. I could not program myself because I own a 2015 but older models you can program yourself using a distinct pattern. So now I have 3 fobs and keys working and the cost was about 175 with all labor and parts. The bottom line if you can is to try to buy fobs with the same serial number as your working fob.
mbesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 01:55 PM   #18
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulsSS View Post
The battery in the new fob was dead.
Good catch. Chinese things often come with weak or not working batteries. Can't assume it's new so that couldn't be a problem.
Same can be said for when they sell "new" batteries online, including on amazon. Or fake duracells and energizers sold on above. Worst are any coin type batteries.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 02:32 PM   #19
PaulsSS

Actually I believe its a fake battery, made to look real. I don't think it has anything inside it because its concave on the outside. I probably tried programming 10 times before the light bulb went on.
Old 02-27-2021, 03:42 AM   #20
AlanRubin
Banned

Drives: 2010 LS
START OVER; ALL NEW KEYS, NEW ECU, OR RESET METHOD:

If you lost your keys, and get new ones, this is the method you use. This is what you would also need to do with your existing keys if you get a replacement ECU.

This initial reset method can take up to 30 minutes, so be sure you have a good battery in the car, or hook it up to a battery charger.

1. Insert your new key into the ignition.
  2. Turn the key to the “ON” position (don’t start the car)
  3. Wait 10 minutes for the security light on the tachometer to turn off.
  4. Turn the key to the “OFF” position.
    Repeat steps 2 through 4 until the security light remains ON during step 3. — Usually after the 3rd time.
  5. Once the security light no longer turns off after waiting 10+ minutes, turn the key to the “OFF” position.
  6. Turn the key the "ON" position (don't start the car).
  7. If the process was successful, the number of keys programmed (=1) should be displayed on the Driver Information Center and your new KEY will be ready to use.

ADD A KEY:
  1. Insert your working key into the ignition and turn it to the “ON” position (don’t start the car)
  2. Wait for the security light on the tachometer to turn off.
  3. Remove your key.
  4. Insert the NEW key (the one that hasn’t been programmed yet) into the ignition and turn it to the “ON” position.
  5. The number of keys programmed should now be displayed on the Driver Information Center and your new KEY will be ready to use.
You can only have five working keys/remotes programmed to the car at any given time.
AlanRubin is offline   Reply With Quote