Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-19-2019, 11:03 PM   #15
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
White has nothing to do with it. I've been restoring antique cars for year
and detailing modern cars for as long. I use Mequires Cleaner Wax followed
up with New Car Wax, detailing a panel or two every week on my '10 SS. 10
years later not one scratch, parking lot dent, wheel rash, etc. I know what it
takes to keep a car looking new.
I submit you’d spend less time keeping it looking new without those car wash brushes. I like to detail and maintain my car too but I’m not looking for that kind of challenge every week. I never use the same micro fiber rag twice to remove wax and it still scratches.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:17 PM   #16
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Quote:
What's Going too happen? Nothing I've been using brush car washes
on my 10 year old SS since new. No damage and still looks like new.
As long as you use cleaner wax/polish every week to work out the fine scratches right?
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:16 AM   #17
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
I submit you’d spend less time keeping it looking new without those car wash brushes. I like to detail and maintain my car too but I’m not looking for that kind of challenge every week. I never use the same micro fiber rag twice to remove wax and it still scratches.
I'm in Florida now so I can clean my car in my driveway year around. But up
in Ct I had to use the local car wash in the winter. I drove this car year round
up there as long as the roads were dry. Not saving it for anyone.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:21 AM   #18
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveradoss573 View Post
As long as you use cleaner wax/polish every week to work out the fine scratches right?
Yes, and like I said I only do a couple panels at a time. My Camaro stays real
nice and nobody believes its 10 years old. Down here Camaros, Mustangs and
exotics are everywhere so It's nice to still get compliments on my car.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:48 AM   #19
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

Drives: 15 2lt RS Top Gun Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
CAR WASH WITH MOTORIZED BRUSHES? NEVER!
Years ago we had a 89 Camaro that my wife took through the Car wash with brushes once a week. It completely ruined the paint on the car. I didn't notice the damage until the clear was pretty much scratched beyond saving. We go to a brushless wash now, it doesn't always get the surface film off if its bad but its better than ruining the paint. Now once in a while if its really nasty I'll take it to the local spray and wash and wash it by hand.
152LTRockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:56 AM   #20
DvKillar

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro 2LS
I have a nice, bright yellow paint job. very hard to se fine scratches, but I do use the car wash a couple times a year.

I also do not have factory stripes which I would imagine take a noticeable beating in a car wash!
DvKillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 12:45 PM   #21
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
The last time it was OK to use a brushed car wash:

Name:  carwash.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  192.0 KB
Old 05-20-2019, 04:14 PM   #22
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Not saving it for anyone.
I agree with this statement. Too many times I have seen friends and family go to great pains to care for their car and go out of their way to not drive it, so that it stays pristine.
Enjoy your ride... you only live once.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:24 PM   #23
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 152LTRockin View Post
Years ago we had a 89 Camaro that my wife took through the Car wash with brushes once a week. It completely ruined the paint on the car. I didn't notice the damage until the clear was pretty much scratched beyond saving. We go to a brushless wash now, it doesn't always get the surface film off if its bad but its better than ruining the paint. Now once in a while if its really nasty I'll take it to the local spray and wash and wash it by hand.
The '89 Camaro's didn't have very good factory paint to begin with. Those were made at the Van Nuys assembly plant that had that terrible '80's era GM water-based paint. In addition, there were a lot of problems with the water-based basecoat adhering to the factory ELPO primer on many cars during that time.

The Norwood built cars typically had much better paint since they did not have the same strict regulations for paint emissions that the Van Nuys built cars had. However, that all ended in '87 when production moved entirely over to Van Nuys for the '88 model year.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:07 PM   #24
SummitWhite11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Paint coming off of mirrors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roader View Post
Passenger side been like that for about 4-5 years. It was built dec 09

Mine is doing the same on 2010 passenger side. Plan to get it resprayed at MAACO if I can find one around here when the time comes. It's only the mirror so it is not so much a huge concern. However - my car is painted black so it is not as noticeable as it would be on other Camaro's of different colors.

Without flash and with flash. Name:  IMG_9958.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  123.7 KBName:  IMG_9959.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  194.3 KB

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:16 PM   #25
SS376

Drives: 2013 1SS LS3
Quote:
White has nothing to do with it. I've been restoring antique cars for year
and detailing modern cars for as long. I use Mequires Cleaner Wax followed
up with New Car Wax, detailing a panel or two every week on my '10 SS. 10
years later not one scratch, parking lot dent, wheel rash, etc. I know what it
takes to keep a car looking new.
Offense not intended but no competent detailer or restorer would ever run a car through a conventional brush car wash. It's literally nonsense to claim that car wash brushes don't damage paint.
SS376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:46 PM   #26
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

Drives: 15 2lt RS Top Gun Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitWhite11 View Post
Mine is doing the same on 2010 passenger side. Plan to get it resprayed at MAACO if I can find one around here when the time comes. It's only the mirror so it is not so much a huge concern. However - my car is painted black so it is not as noticeable as it would be on other Camaro's of different colors.
Face it, that paint is coming off the car when you are accelerating. This v6 cars are too quick for the paint!
152LTRockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:50 PM   #27
SummitWhite11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 152LTRockin View Post
Face it, that paint is coming off the car when you are accelerating. This v6 cars are too quick for the paint!

not fast enough!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:11 PM   #28
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
I am also guilty of using a brushed or 'Touch' car wash. I think 'Touch Free' washes are a waste of money, as they only blast off the surface dirt and leave a lot behind. Because of that, I have a ton of swirl marks. They are not super noticeable, but they are definitely there.

If you are using a car wash with brushes, you are going to get swirl marks. Simple as that.

I just bought a new pressure washer and a nice foam cannon. I will be using that and hand washing with a microfiber mitt/sponge from now on.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote