Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-30-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Design Improvement to Cold Air Inductions Inc. CAI (you asked, we listened!)

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to make a quick post to inform you all of a slight design change/improvement that we have made on our CAI's. This change will be present on all of our CAI applications, and is something that has been suggested from many of our customers.

As you probably already know, our CAI's include a removable lid which features a filter inspection window. The lid is held into place with stainless steel spring loaded 1/4 turn fasteners which allows the lid to be easily removed as well as secured into place with only a 1/4 turn. Up until this point the head on these 1/4 turn fasteners has always been a flat head slot for a screwdriver, however many people suggested that we look at changing the head style due to the screwdriver being prone to slipping off and possible scratching the lid of the airbox.

The 1/4 turn fasteners we use will now have a recessed hex style head which will allow your hand tool to lock into place more securely, thus greatly reducing the possibility of a slip of the hand causing a scratched product during installation. The recessed hex head will fit an 1/8" allen wrench (aka hex key). Other than the head being different, it is still stainless steel and spring loaded. Although the design change is now active for current production, there are still CAI's on the shelf as well as on the shelves of our dealers that will have the flat head faster style, don't fret if you get that style, we have successfully used that fastener for nearly 10 years.

We hope this change allows for an easier installation as well as reduced odds of slipping the tool off the 1/4 turn. Although this is just a small change, I thought that many of you would be glad to hear about it. We are always looking for ways to improve our products, and always encourage customer feedback and reviews so that we can continue to supply you with the highest quality CAI available!

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions, thanks!

Picture of new 1/4 turn fastener to show the new head style:

Picture of new 1/4 fastener installed on a textured black lid:
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:17 PM   #2
blkngldbabe
Barossa's handler

Drives: 2LT/RS RJT
Nice!
Old 04-30-2013, 02:51 PM   #3
akonechn

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS
My lid is fine, but can this new one be retrofitted on the older style CAIs in case someone does scratch or break their old lid?

EDIT: Saw the answer in your V8 post. Anyone who wants the new lid call CAI.

2012 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
Black | RS Package | Hurst Short Throw Shifter | Sunroof | Polished Wheels
Pfadt Tri-Y Headers | Solo Mach X Catback | C.A.I. Intake | Vmax | Apex Intake Scoop & Washer Tank | Tuning by Mike Norris
Polished OEM Strut Brace | Black Front Bowtie | C6 Flags Rear Emblem | Black Tail Light Bezels | Window Tint | Stealth Turn Signal Bulbs
Ghosted Black LED Sidemarkers | Plasma LED DRL | DRL Harness | ABL LED Dome Light | LED Trunk & License Plate Lights

akonechn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:42 AM   #4
Sales @ CAI Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by akonechn View Post
My lid is fine, but can this new one be retrofitted on the older style CAIs in case someone does scratch or break their old lid?

EDIT: Saw the answer in your V8 post. Anyone who wants the new lid call CAI.
Just to be clear, no one needs a new lid, other than the fasteners they have not changed. Some people are wanting to buy just the new fasteners to swap out with their current lid, in which case they can call us to order a set.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:29 AM   #5
camaro_RS
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: A lot of show, not much go.
Yup...I've scratched my lid with those old screws...even after painting

camaro_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #6
hworth18
Jus' Cruzin

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS Krypton Green
Glad to hear CAI is listening to it's customers, although I would have suggested a thumbscrew so you wouldn't need a tool at all. I just bought a CAI intake from Apex so I'll see what it comes with, probably the old fittings.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:27 AM   #7
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Drives: ZL1 19 White; Jeep 5.7 GC 15
Good Job.

I was having a trouble with those screws. They seem not to sit properly.

They do with couple of punches
Old 05-03-2013, 09:44 AM   #8
Sales @ CAI Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Gray View Post
Good Job.

I was having a trouble with those screws. They seem not to sit properly.

They do with couple of punches
They are not siting properly because of those punches. I know you were joking, but in reality if the lid is not properly aligned it will not seat all the way down, therefore the fasteners would not lock into the retaining clip. By forcing them down (or punching them ) you are actually bending the retaining clips down and therefore making the fasteners have an even harder time to lock into place.

**Remember that when you received your CAI the lid and box were already together and the fasteners easily came unlocked and will re-lock again. This tells you that the 2 pieces fit together perfectly. If you have trouble getting the lid on after installing the box it is nothing to do with the fastener and everything to do with the lid not being aligned properly with the airbox. this can happen if the lid is not positioned inside the groove on the inner fender well, sometimes due to the rubber seal from the factory that lines the engine bay being pushed to far up.**
Old 05-03-2013, 02:40 PM   #9
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Drives: ZL1 19 White; Jeep 5.7 GC 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales @ CAI Inc View Post
They are not siting properly because of those punches. I know you were joking, but in reality if the lid is not properly aligned it will not seat all the way down, therefore the fasteners would not lock into the retaining clip. By forcing them down (or punching them ) you are actually bending the retaining clips down and therefore making the fasteners have an even harder time to lock into place.

**Remember that when you received your CAI the lid and box were already together and the fasteners easily came unlocked and will re-lock again. This tells you that the 2 pieces fit together perfectly. If you have trouble getting the lid on after installing the box it is nothing to do with the fastener and everything to do with the lid not being aligned properly with the airbox. this can happen if the lid is not positioned inside the groove on the inner fender well, sometimes due to the rubber seal from the factory that lines the engine bay being pushed to far up.**
OK no more punching. I will only give it a warm tap on the shoulder .
Old 07-16-2013, 10:04 PM   #10
ENV US

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green RS, 1999 Camaro
Interested in the new fasteners! Cost? Or are you replacing them out of customer satisfaction??
ENV US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:30 AM   #11
hworth18
Jus' Cruzin

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS Krypton Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENV US View Post
Interested in the new fasteners! Cost? Or are you replacing them out of customer satisfaction??
I just bought mine in May and it came with the old style screws so I would like to know this as well....
Old 07-17-2013, 07:06 AM   #12
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
It's nice to see that you guys are listening to your customers. I got to say I was one that was never a fan of the flat head. I have had them slip a few times but luckily nothing that ever scratched my lid.
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #13
Sales @ CAI Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENV US View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hworth18 View Post
I just bought mine in May and it came with the old style screws so I would like to know this as well....
If you guys really want the new screws give us a call and I can get your info, but they are not free. The only difference is the head, so the way they work is the same, just a different tool to loosen/tighten them is used. If it were an issue where what we were using before was not working properly or something it would definitely be swapped for free, but since these are not needed, and are just for ease of installment, we do charge for the replacements (they are cheap though, most of the cost is in shipping.

Thanks!