Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 06-22-2012, 04:32 PM   #127
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
I just ran with that new tune, got it to 354 hp at the wheels and just over 300 tq. However my afr was literally all over the place. Fluctuating REALLY weird.
Let me guess, start off fine, goes lean, levels off then shoots off the scale?
Old 06-22-2012, 05:45 PM   #128
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT

This was my first TT run at 3psi's and a bad tune. So don't feel bad Baylor. My torque sucked so bad on this run. But this was the log that got Vince to tweak me to where I'm at now. This when I ran to 15-17 AFR's.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2012, 06:35 PM   #129
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
**UPDATE**

Ok guys, here's where I'm at right now. After that dyno pull I called Vince and we talked for about 20 mins, the guy is extremely nice and I cannot stress enough how helpful he is. Anyways, he was saying that my 354 hp pull looked a lot better and has no idea why my afr looked like it was going all over the place. By this time the shop needed to get my car off the dybo because they were closing. So when I get off the phone with Vince, and pay for my dyno time, the guy goes "Oh so when we took OUR wide band (which is about a $6,000 wide band) off your car it looked like it was barley making connection, which would explain the erratic afr. The guy that was doing my dyno pull was watching my wide band and said things looked good. Anyways, My car in the end made about 360 hp and 305 tq to the wheels, and Vince said he wanted to make some tweaks to the tune because he can get more power, so I need to load that tune in now. I just won't be able to dyno it. However I would expect about 370 rwhp and 310 rwtq.

Vince did mention that my MAF is at the max reading and he is trying to see if he can figure a way to increase it, but he's not sure. Hopefully the JET MAF is legit and not a pos mod, because it sounds like we might need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
We now use a 3.5" MAF housing and it has improved the MAF's ability.
Was this used in my car? Because Vince said this is another way to get around my issue with the MAF. It would just require another tune..
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:43 PM   #130
GretchenGotGrowl

Update from me (Baylor, tell me to shove off if I'm intruding your thread too much). We got the HPFP on and it was running way too much pressure (2400 psi) at idle. We ended up just removing the codes and it no longer went into limp mode. Fuel trims are a bit off to the rich side, so it looks like it is pumping more fuel. We called it quits for today and will resume in the morning. Hopefully it won't be 100 degrees again.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:03 PM   #131
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Update from me (Baylor, tell me to shove off if I'm intruding your thread too much). We got the HPFP on and it was running way too much pressure (2400 psi) at idle. We ended up just removing the codes and it no longer went into limp mode. Fuel trims are a bit off to the rich side, so it looks like it is pumping more fuel. We called it quits for today and will resume in the morning. Hopefully it won't be 100 degrees again.
No worries.

Yeah I was talking to Vince on the phone and he said that he still hasn't figured all that out yet, lol.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:25 AM   #132
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
I have a question as well. I'm not bashing either, promise. I'm looking to start my research on fi as I save up the money and decide on a system. At this point I want either tracy's supercharger or his twin system. The only thing I want to ask is why does the ipf super seem perfectly fine and the rx having a little bit of trouble. Could it be the tuning? Any ideas? I don't know nothing about FI so I'm looking to learn.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:51 AM   #133
ASH@IPF-TUNING

Drives: 4x4 Turbo
Hello !

IPF-Tuning spend countless hrs of Software design on the EVOMS Mustang Dyno and on the road with the 3.6 LLT and LFX Supercharger Camaro until the SC-Camaro was driving like a normal factory produced car , just with much more power .

Our working experiance with Audi 4.2 V8 Twin Turbo and Supercharger and Lambo Gallardo 5.2V10 Supercharger ECU applications over the last years helped al LOT to create an outstanding Software for the Camaro LLT , that is using the SAME ECU BOSCH ME9 like the Audi and the Lambo !

The keypoints for the hardware design followed by the software application were :

1) AFM MAF located with much bigger Housing on the INTAKE side of the SC to prevent intercooler humanity , oil spray and signal max. out effects
2) charge air dump recirculated into the intake system after AFM MAF
3) intake must get cold air from fender housing not from engine bay

greets ASH@IPF-TUNING
ASH@IPF-TUNING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:57 AM   #134
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINI HLK View Post
I am not trying to bash on RX or anyone else. I just have some question about the SC system. So the MAF failure is that something seen as just owning a Super Charger? Is the kit still in the R&D phase with owners being part of the R&D? I wonder about the dyno test and if vince had this much of an issue with Camaro21's build. This is not to say RX has any control over others and the dyno process.

I do appriciate others taking the time and improving the system as they go. I am not sure if I could pay 6 grand for a system that may break down before I get home. I really hope these things get worked out. I really want a SC or Turbo system, though with these issues I may give up. Perhaps 6 grand would be better spent on a 1LE than a SC or Turbo system. I really hate saying it. ...

Maybe after a few others get the system those kinks will be worked out. Perhaps by September all the numbers will be in. By this I mean the new numbers on 1/4 miles and/or dynos. I have read about butt dynos and thats fine for $500.00 modifications. But for 6 grand modifications I need something more than a butt dyno.
Everyone has to remember, boost is just a measure of force (POUNDS per square inch). You can apply 8 pounds psi to a marble and make it roll really fast or 8 psi to a bowling ball and see it barely move. What makes the engine have more power is the amount of air that got moved by that PSI. Some things move more air at 8 psi than others.

This is where the MAF sensor problem Baylor and I are having is coming from. They aren't broken, cracked, faulty, we are just maxing them out. The ECU has a preset limit build in that Vince can't alter. Once we go beyond that amount of air flow it can no longer calculate an accurate air/fuel mixture.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:07 AM   #135
ASH@IPF-TUNING

Drives: 4x4 Turbo
Hello !

One of the BASIC ECU engine protection functions of the BOSCH ME9 ECU that is used in the Camaro LLT is to run the engine in safe mode when the AFM (MAF) is maxed out for longer then 0.1sec

In the safe mode the ECU is pulling the ignition advance away and mostely closes the trottle body to a low value to protect the engine !

NOBODY should change that basic funcion because of wrong or inapplicable hardware design of the AFM system !

Only way from the engeneering side is to install a propper designed AFM (MAF) housing of 100mm (4") diameter , that the AFM (MAF) Sensor is NEVER maxed out even at lowest altitude and lowest ambient temperatures at full load with max boost in use with with low backpressure exhaust systems !

Hopefully could clear the situation friendly wise with true technical explanations !

Greets ASH@IPF-TUNING
ASH@IPF-TUNING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:08 AM   #136
Rhino79

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99/Auto
Well, a larger intake tube would be an easy task, I just want to see if this pump will keep up with the boost!
Rhino79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:48 AM   #137
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASH@EDS View Post
Hello !

One of the BASIC ECU engine protection functions of the BOSCH ME9 ECU that is used in the Camaro LLT is to run the engine in safe mode when the AFM (MAF) is maxed out for longer then 0.1sec

In the safe mode the ECU is pulling the ignition advance away and mostely closes the trottle body to a low value to protect the engine !

NOBODY should change that basic funcion because of wrong or inapplicable hardware design of the AFM system !

Only way from the engeneering side is to install a propper designed AFM (MAF) housing of 100mm (4") diameter , that the AFM (MAF) Sensor is NEVER maxed out even at lowest altitude and lowest ambient temperatures at full load with max boost in use with with low backpressure exhaust systems !

Hopefully could clear the situation friendly wise with true technical explanations !

Greets ASH@IPF-TUNING
No problem and we appreciate the input. We just underestimated the amount of air we would flow at these low pressures (my mistake). Definately going to change out the intake tube, but right now we want to get the fuel flowing. Even with the MAF working right up top, we are still going lean in the middle RPMs and my beautiful torque is getting ruined. Hopefully we can solve that problem today. Looks to me like the pump is definitely flowing more fuel, but waiting on Vince's verdict. He probably won't be in until about 10:30 our time, though.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:06 AM   #138
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
No problem and we appreciate the input. We just underestimated the amount of air we would flow at these low pressures (my mistake). Definately going to change out the intake tube, but right now we want to get the fuel flowing. Even with the MAF working right up top, we are still going lean in the middle RPMs and my beautiful torque is getting ruined. Hopefully we can solve that problem today. Looks to me like the pump is definitely flowing more fuel, but waiting on Vince's verdict. He probably won't be in until about 10:30 our time, though.
Hit my cell up when you get things going. I'm waiting on this base tune to get mine installed. This week I am going to slap back on the RX 3.5" intake pipe. Then Vince can tweak the tune enough to get a log off of it. Because it rev's too high at all times for a proper log.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:10 AM   #139
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't_C_Me View Post
Hit my cell up when you get things going. I'm waiting on this base tune to get mine installed. This week I am going to slap back on the RX 3.5" intake pipe. Then Vince can tweak the tune enough to get a log off of it. Because it rev's too high at all times for a proper log.
Will do man. May be tomorrow though. Have to leave here at about 2:30 for another engagement. Probably won't be back to the house until late. DON'T LET ME TO FORGET!
Old 06-23-2012, 10:54 AM   #140
Goo

Drives: Cayman S
I kinda like seeing the issues and the solutions... as long as there are solutions. Its way better than things being hidden from potential future owners.
Goo is offline   Reply With Quote