Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-24-2012, 11:07 PM   #1
Heath901

Drives: SS/RS
Dash Kit, Stereo, Car Speakers

Hello,

I'm leaning towards getting a Scosche dash kit and possibly a Pioneer radio. I was curious if anyone out there already has this dash an a Pioneer stereo and could tell me which Pioneer radios fit/look good in the Scosche dash kit. I already have 2 JL Audio w3 12" subs and a JL audio amp 700 or 750 watts. Also, anyone have any suggestions on any brand/ car speakers to upgrade too from the BA system? My BA system speakers are always blown out or distorted?

Thanks a bunch
Heath901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:29 PM   #2
alaskacamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS 45TH Anniversary
I had a Scosche put in initally with my Pioneer 4400 but the shop did not have the module for Onstar so I was without it for 3 weeks. When the part finally came in, the kit completely stopped working after they installed it. They told me they have had a few Scosche kits fail and were not recommending them until the bugs were fixed. Not a bad looking kit but for me, the touch screen was hard to use and it partially blocked the view of the auxillery gauges. Went with a Metra kit and like it but still having issues coming up and the "professional" shop and am now forced to use (since they did the initial install) can't figure it out. Had all this done BEFORE checking this site and there don't seem to be too many people having install issues with the Scosche.....
alaskacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:13 AM   #3
Caddyroger

Drives: 2011 RJT Camaro LT2 RS auto shift
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath901 View Post
Hello,

I'm leaning towards getting a Scosche dash kit and possibly a Pioneer radio. I was curious if anyone out there already has this dash an a Pioneer stereo and could tell me which Pioneer radios fit/look good in the Scosche dash kit. I already have 2 JL Audio w3 12" subs and a JL audio amp 700 or 750 watts. Also, anyone have any suggestions on any brand/ car speakers to upgrade too from the BA system? My BA system speakers are always blown out or distorted?

Thanks a bunch
I will say this right away. I had to have my lcd unit replaced 3 times with a 1 time replacement of the Onstar module. I will get this back Thursday. I have the Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH unit. It does look and fit good In the Scosche dash kit.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:21 AM   #4
Johng57
Mid-Wife Crisis

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS / RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyroger View Post
I will say this right away. I had to have my lcd unit replaced 3 times with a 1 time replacement of the Onstar module. I will get this back Thursday. I have the Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH unit. It does look and fit good In the Scosche dash kit.
+1 - my only issue is that it's really hard to see the display in bright sunlight.
Johng57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:00 AM   #5
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS, 2015 Sierra Denali
My setup has been perfect so far. I will agree that the display of both my radio and HVAC controls can be very difficult to see when they are in direct sunlight, but that is typical of any touch screen.

As far as replacing speakers - do you have the Boston system?
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Exterior Mods * Black Phantom Grille * 22" T.I.S. 537MS wheels w/ Nitto INVO rubber * OEM body kit Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Mosconi 6to8v8 w/ RCD * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:34 AM   #6
camarograna2
Car Enthusiast

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow Camaro 2SS A/T
Send a message via MSN to camarograna2
Ive had my schosche replaced once because of a failed firmware upgrade causing TPMS interference. Mine came from the second batch of productions though.

I do not have a pioneer but i do have the kenwood 9990HD that has reverse tilt. That helps a bit for the sunlight issue.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:40 PM   #7
CrutchfieldBrooke

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 1968 Camaro
As far as speakers go, what type of budget do you have in mind? There are tons of great option for speakers depending on what you want to put into them.
CrutchfieldBrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:09 PM   #8
Heath901

John & Darkrider :

Problems with display in the sunlight. Is your car tinted? If the car was tinted(15% tint on mine I think) would that help or not really? (Just curious)
Yes, I have the Boston system currently.

CrutchfieldBrooke:

I've gone by local shops to listen to Polk, Infinity, and Kickers which all sounded pretty good. I thought the Polk and Infinity sounded better than the Kickers though (Just personal opinion). I also went by the shop where I got my subs installed to check out the JL Audio, JBL, and Memphis speakers. Out of the six speakers I listened to the kickers were my least favorite. The other five brands I listened to sounded pretty damn good/decent. I'm not exactly sure what I'm willing to spend exactly yet. Been looking into upgrading to the Scosche dash kit possibly ( I've never been crazy over the Metrakit ), Pioneer 4400 BH stereo / Pioneer avic z140, and then car speakers. I'm really just trying to plan a budget because I thought it might be best just to do it all at once? To do any of that though it seems like I better be ready to spend $1000 - $2000.

Thanks

Last edited by Heath901; 07-26-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:18 PM   #9
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS, 2015 Sierra Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath901 View Post
John & Darkrider :

Problems with display in the sunlight. Is your car tented? If the car was tented(15% tent on mine I think) would that help or not really? (Just curious)
Yes, I have the Boston system currently.

CrutchfieldBrooke:

I've gone by local shops to listen to Polk, Infinity, and Kickers which all sounded pretty good. I thought the Polk and Infinity sounded better than the Kickers though (Just personal opinion). I also went by the shop where I got my subs installed to check out the JL Audio, JBL, and Memphis speakers. Out of the six speakers I listened to the kickers were my least favorite. The other five brands I listened to sounded pretty damn good/decent. I'm not exactly sure what I'm willing to spend exactly yet. Been looking into upgrading to the Scosche dash kit possibly ( I've never been crazy over the Metrakit ), Pioneer 4400 BH stereo / Pioneer avic z140, and then car speakers. I'm really just trying to plan a budget because I thought it might be best just to do it all at once? To do any of that though it seems like I better be ready to spend $1000 - $2000.

Thanks
My car is not tinted. I'm pretty sure tinted windows would help though.

As far as replacing the speakers, I would urge you, if you're on that tight of a budget, to just buy a quality amp first. I really thought the factory speakers sounded decent when I had an old 25Wx4 Alpine hooked up to them. They got plenty loud and sounded pretty clean. I had terrible issues with speaker pop (caused by stupid factory head unit) that you'll be avoiding by replacing the head unit. The speaker pop is the only reason I took out that old Alpine. I really think you'd be very surprised with the factory speakers if you get rid of that lousy head unit and terrible, terrible, terrible factory Boston amp. That factory amp is junk.
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Exterior Mods * Black Phantom Grille * 22" T.I.S. 537MS wheels w/ Nitto INVO rubber * OEM body kit Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Mosconi 6to8v8 w/ RCD * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:15 PM   #10
Heath901

Yea I plan on buying new amp with everything else . I'm just trying to wait till I had the funds to do everything all at once.