Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 07-12-2013, 03:04 PM   #43
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post
As a ZL1 owner and as one who is extremely interested in the Z/28 I think that depends on your definition of "Word Class Sportscar". If you definition is solely on performance, there is no sane argument that the ZL1 should be excluded from the conversation. It performs as well as or even better than many Italian or German sportscars.

If your definition includes things like fit and finish like Italian leather, etc..etc, the expense of purchasing, the expense of maintaining, the club you are now welcome in, the place they park your car outside the restaurant, the girls that you can get to ride in the car with you, and the arrogance you are not entitle to since your name is on the title....then you are absolutely right...the ZL1 is not in the conversation.

I choose the first definition as it is the only definition that removes subjectivity, opinion, and personal preference. Definition one is measurable and when those measurements are compared...the ZL1 is pretty damn good and should be in the conversation.
The ZL1 is not a world class sports car, the Z/28 will not be a world class sports car either. Sports cars have 2 seats only everyone knows that lol.

My definition of a sports car is light weight 2 seat car with great handling and performance. Corvette is a sports car, Camaro is a Pony Car/Muscle Car.

In terms of performance cars in general, the ZL1 is an impressive package, but IMO a sports car it is not.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:12 PM   #44
EastWood-SS
Born To Run

Drives: 2013 BRM SS/RS LS3
won't be that much.

Some forget how stripped down the car is. Big engine, and Jack-squat else. shouldn't be too bad.

2013 Blue Ray Metallic 1SS/RS
Dual Mode Exhaust + Fuse Pull / CAI inc. CAI/ 1LE Strut Tower Brace/ ACS T4 Splitter/ SunRoof/ BA Audio/ Performance Shifter/ White Rally Stripes

EastWood-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:25 PM   #45
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyTrunkMusic View Post
won't be that much.

Some forget how stripped down the car is. Big engine, and Jack-squat else. shouldn't be too bad.
Well there are those carbon ceramic brakes and the racing wheels and tires oh and the tunable suspension... Seems there is a lot more than just the LS7
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:31 PM   #46
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Drives: 2013 2SS Dusk Edition
Lots of zl1 talk.. but this isn't a zl1.
This is a new animal.

Why are so many people comparing it to a completely different car.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
530/520 SAE
DuskSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:34 PM   #47
ssr2003

Drives: 2010 toyota tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
Well there are those carbon ceramic brakes and the racing wheels and tires oh and the tunable suspension... Seems there is a lot more than just the LS7
who says they are only building 300 -400 units?
ssr2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:36 PM   #48
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskSS View Post
This is a new animal.

You can find many articles like this describing the ZL1 as a supercar.

The Camaro ZL1 stakes its claim as a supercar on the Ring

http://www.torquenews.com/106/camaro...-supercar-ring
Old 07-12-2013, 03:41 PM   #49
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
The ZL1 is not a world class sports car, the Z/28 will not be a world class sports car either. Sports cars have 2 seats only everyone knows that lol.

My definition of a sports car is light weight 2 seat car with great handling and performance. Corvette is a sports car, Camaro is a Pony Car/Muscle Car.

In terms of performance cars in general, the ZL1 is an impressive package, but IMO a sports car it is not.
So if I pull my backseat will it meet your definition?
Old 07-12-2013, 03:44 PM   #50
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskSS View Post
This is a new animal.

The Z/28 is a completely different car than the ZL1? We use the ZL1 because it is the closest and we have data to go by, now if the Z/28 was 3 seconds faster than the ZL1 on the short track I would say they are very comparable.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:54 PM   #51
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
won't be that much.

The cost of the car doesn't depend on what's in it or what's not. It's the car itself. A lot of R&D has gone into this vehicle. Just because it doesn't have AC or wires for the fog lights doesn't mean this car isn't gonna pull a premium price. It's not like they said "we'll we can subtract the cost of the AC and speakers from the cost of the vehicle".

Personally I think if this car sells for under 70k it's a hell of a deal!
Old 07-12-2013, 03:57 PM   #52
trz174

Drives: Used to Drive Blue Camaros
I confess I am a Z28 bubble guy. My response is about me and my kids. I do not know if I will buy a Z28 (assuming I have a chance) or not. The comparisons with other cars bore me and I work very, very hard for every dollar I earn. I only want a true heritage Z28 and I define what that means to me. Everything I see in the Z28 is exactly what I want. The Team that put this togeather is listening. OK, I will get A/C because I live in sunny FLA but otherwise no options. I admit, cost is a really big deal but life is short. Truthfully, my biggest concern is that I do not have anyplace close to my home to track it. By that I obviously mean a road course but also that includes the folks who can teach me (and my kids) how to drive it hard, then harder and then be able to relax and have fun on the track by youself and just enjoy.
trz174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:34 AM   #53
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
won't be that much.

What???
Old 07-13-2013, 11:49 AM   #54
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
Why do ZL1 owners feel compelled to come to the Z/28 forum and make posts like this? It makes no sense. It would be like me posting in the ZL1 forum how perfectly happy I am with my SS. It's irrelevant and nobody cares.

I think the Z/28 will be +/- $75K and they will sell all they make. I also think that most of the people who buy them will not need to finance them. They may finance them just to take advantage of the low interest rate, but they will not need to.

I also agree with the person who stated that if they only make 300 - 400 there will be bidding wars. If production really is limited to 300 - 400 they will sell for crazy money. Crazy to a normal person, that is. To the people who will buy them it won't be that much or any big deal.
I say this because when the Z/28 was announced it seems like SOME who did not own a ZL1 was quick to say how the ZL1 was no longer the top dog Camaro. They seemed to almost be happy that those of us who did decide to buy a ZL1 where some how or in some way wishing we had waited or something to that extent. I posted this because the more I read about the Z/28 the happier I am with my choice of a more well rounded car in the ZL1. Period. No stab at the Z/28. No stab at 1LE, SS, RS or any other Camaro owner. It is how I feel about the "perceived" competition within the family that I think is ridiculous.

By the way, if you feel compelled to post how much you love you SS in this or any other section, please do. I would be proud to own one as well

Last edited by mkorgan; 07-13-2013 at 12:31 PM.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #55
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post
I say this because when the Z/28 was announced it seems like everyone who did not own a ZL1 was quick to say how the ZL1 was no longer the top dog Camaro. They seemed to almost be happy that those of us who did decide to buy a ZL1 where some how or in some way wishing we had waited or something to that extent. I posted this because the more I read about the Z/28 the happier I am with my choice of a more well rounded car in the ZL1. Period. No stab at the Z/28. No stab at 1LE, SS, RS or any other Camaro owner. It is how I feel about the "perceived" competition within the family that I think is ridiculous.

By the way, if you feel compelled to post how much you love you SS in this or any other section, please do. I would be proud to own one as well
I cannot stand unproven inclusiveness. "You always, you never, everyone does, everyone doesn't." Not "everyone"...probably very, very few. And I doubt you heard that from any of the Z/28 faithful's (self included). If you read through some of the older Z/28 threads you'll see why we wanted what came to be the Z/28 and didn't feel the ZL1 fit our needs or the name Z/28.

BTW, I've said it over and over and over again, the ZL1 is a great car.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #56
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
I cannot stand unproven inclusiveness. "You always, you never, everyone does, everyone doesn't." Not "everyone"...probably very, very few. And I doubt you heard that from any of the Z/28 faithful's (self included). If you read through some of the older Z/28 threads you'll see why we wanted what came to be the Z/28 and didn't feel the ZL1 fit our needs or the name Z/28.

BTW, I've said it over and over and over again, the ZL1 is a great car.
Relax, I did not quote you. I enjoy reading your comments in the forum. EDIT: remove "everybody"...replace with "some". Geesh.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote