Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 04-21-2015, 09:41 PM   #505
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSoon View Post
Yep. No regrets!

Auto tranny is holding up remarkably well. I am surprised, personally. I am not easy on it.

Heat is okay but I am not sure it will remain cool in really hot weather, so we will swap out my old oil cooler for a supersized one. I was trying out shifting consistently around 7k rpm and the oil was up around 230. Not bad but I wonder what happens when the temps are 105 outside instead of 80. Better safe than sorry. Pete
230 is actually very good. Do you have a thermostat on your oil cooler? My oil cooler is pretty big, yet I can hit 230s even at the street since I have 212 degrees thermostat and it obviously does not open all the way at 212; takes a while.

As long as it never exceeds 280, I think it's pretty good.
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:06 AM   #506
IOM Black Diamond
HT5 COTW 1/21/13

Drives: 2010 Camaro Inferno 2SS RS 6M
Wow this is a great build very nice.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:01 AM   #507
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by X25 View Post
230 is actually very good. Do you have a thermostat on your oil cooler? My oil cooler is pretty big, yet I can hit 230s even at the street since I have 212 degrees thermostat and it obviously does not open all the way at 212; takes a while.

As long as it never exceeds 280, I think it's pretty good.
As I have said before, every build has a budget, so we reused his old cooler hoping that improved air flow through better placement may get us by. With cool weather to start the season, we knew we had time to see how it performs on track. Now we know. It does not have the capacity required to keep the oil in the range we want for the long term health of the engine.

As Peter gets more seat time, he'll be spending more and more time at high RPMs generating more heat in the higher summer temperatures. We want to be able to run close to WOT in 100 degree heat and not exceed 280 degrees. The motor is built to run Mobil 1 15/50. We could run as hot as 300, but we re more comfortable under 280.

Thermostats are restrictive, even when fully open. There will be no thermostat. We are installing a race ready oil cooler. It is 21" x 5 7/8"
x 3". The new cooler makes the old one look like a postage stamp.

What more is there to say. Oh. Yeah. racecar
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 11:21 PM   #508
RJT2SSRS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
SSSoon your car build is the stuff of dreams or so my wife tells me:-)

Does the honeycomb material in front of the radiator restrict airflow,and is the honeycomb material available to us laymen?
2010 2SS/RS L99 CAI intake Stainless Works headers and Hi-flow cats CORSA cat back exhaust livernois motorsports dyno tune VMAX throttle body ELITE catch can GM clean side catch can 2014 lca BMR rear toe links PEDDERS Supercar suspension PEDDERS poly subframe bushings JPSS BLACK MAGIC rear sway bar DSS 1000 hp axles 1LE wheels Michelin 285/35 tires CTS-V front brake upgrade fuel rail flip heater hose relocation
RJT2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:45 AM   #509
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT2SSRS View Post

Does the honeycomb material in front of the radiator restrict airflow,and is the honeycomb material available to us laymen?
Peter hunted down the protective material. It would defy all logic to say there was no restriction, but the mfg says it is minimal. Perhaps Peter can provide a source and spec?
Old 04-24-2015, 07:50 AM   #510
SSSoon

Drives: RY 2011 2SS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT2SSRS View Post

Honeycomb was from Summit Racing: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aa...FU1o7AodCikAYw

In other news....

Engine start knocking late in the day last Sunday at the track. Packed it in and dropped the car off at JPSS for diagnosis. Turns out a rocker got damaged - looks like a bolt pulled through. On further investigation the conclusion was that the MAST billet rocker stands and Harland Sharp rockers were not up to 7000 rpm road course abuse. We are switching to Comp steel rocker stands and bars, Comp rockers, and new steel retainers and keepers.

At the same time as its all open, we are swapping out to better pushrods and going from MAST valve springs to higher rate Comp race springs. Goal is to improve high RPM operation and valve train stability. Pete tells me that the old stuff would have lived a long time on the street or in a drag application, but I guess I am kinda hard on the engine on road courses.

Aaaand here are also some pics of the new oil cooler. It's huge, and 3 inches thick! I think we are going to remove the OEM crash bar and weld up one in aluminum or chrome moly and then mount the oil cooler to that, so it hangs right in the lower opening for lots of air flow. Cool = good.

Pete
Attached Images

Dry sump LS7, cage, JPSS suspension, Wilwood brakes, fire suppression, ARH 3" headers/exhaust, Z/28 DSSV coilovers, Kirkey seats, TeamTech 6-point harnesses, 19" Forgeline GA3R, 325/30R19 Re11 tires, oil cooler, monster JPSS splitter/wickerbill, CAI, brake ducts.
SSSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:53 AM   #511
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
So you are going with the shaft mount set up? What's the valve cover requirement for that set up?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2015, 07:54 AM   #512
Firefighter

Double tap...
Old 04-24-2015, 08:00 AM   #513
JusticePete

We are in the middle of the installation and hoping we get the new push rods in today. Once we have those, we'll double check the cover clearance. We think we are OK as we removed the splash covers/ baffles for the Harlan Sharp rockers. We'll know after we get the new rods.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:11 AM   #514
Synner

Drives: cars
Don't even bother with an aluminum bumper brace, it won't be adding any safety. Use plain steel, chromemoly doesn't flex that well so not worth a few lbs in savings if safety is your goal. Just my 2 cents which are worth what you paid for them.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:20 AM   #515
Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
We are in the middle of the installation and hoping we get the new push rods in today. Once we have those, we'll double check the cover clearance. We think we are OK as we removed the splash covers/ baffles for the Harlan Sharp rockers. We'll know after we get the new rods.
Thanks for getting back to me Pete. I'm curious how these fit, I'm planning my top end in my quest for some legit N/A power from my 1LE right now. Waiting on the latest and greatest manifold to come out. MSD? Vararam? FAST? We'll see...

I still need to call you and discuss the suspension. I thought I had all my parts needed then you talked about the Knuckle Drop. I feel like I need those to make the package what I really want it to be. I hope I can afford it though. LoL

Other than SOON how is it looking for the knuckles?

Old 04-24-2015, 08:54 AM   #516
JusticePete

Knuckles are so close and yet so far. At least 90 days.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:58 AM   #517
Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Knuckles are so close and yet so far. At least 90 days.
Damn... I need to call you soon then and go over some things. 90 days will kill me to wait. I know you are doing your best though. Don't get me wrong.

I might do a stop gap with the parts I have then do the knuckle after they come out.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:21 PM   #518
RJT2SSRS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
SSSoon thanks for the quick info and the URL.
2010 2SS/RS L99 CAI intake Stainless Works headers and Hi-flow cats CORSA cat back exhaust livernois motorsports dyno tune VMAX throttle body ELITE catch can GM clean side catch can 2014 lca BMR rear toe links PEDDERS Supercar suspension PEDDERS poly subframe bushings JPSS BLACK MAGIC rear sway bar DSS 1000 hp axles 1LE wheels Michelin 285/35 tires CTS-V front brake upgrade fuel rail flip heater hose relocation
RJT2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote