Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 12-01-2015, 07:54 PM   #1
Mach83

Drives: 2015 2SS RS 1LE
Warranty after Mods

I'm looking at a '15 1LE that has long tube headers, performance exhaust, and a tune. Gorgeous car taken on trade recently and I'm getting close to a deal. I've asked the dealer for details on the actual components, but more importantly, how does this influence the warranty? Dealer says I'm probably ok and that it's certified, but I'm not so sure.

Quoted HP is north of 500 and I've asked if this is a swag or was it on a Dyno. No response yet. Car has 5000 miles or so.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by Mach83; 12-08-2015 at 09:04 PM.
Mach83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 08:26 PM   #2
BigBlock69RS
Ed

Drives: 2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE
Headers exhaust and tune wont be 500 rwhp, its a stretch at the motor even.

If its had a tune then getting the warranty to apply is going to a up hill battle if anything happens to he powertrain. Make sure you get all promises in writing and keep in mind it will be the dealer not GM on the hook then to fix it.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:52 PM   #3
Joseph1LE

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS 1LE, 2001 Camaro SS
Im sure they were advertising flywheel horsepower to you (in which case 500hp is still a bit generous). Regardless I'd get something in writing if possible stating that the modifications and tune already done prior to your ownership of the vehicle will not result in any warranty issues for you should you ever need the powertrain warranty.

2015 Camaro SS 1LE- sold
2001 Camaro SS SOM M6- sold
1999 Firebird Formula A4- sold
Joseph1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:55 AM   #4
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
There is no "get it in writing" with this.

Your warranty is provided by GM, not any dealer. Claims are filled by GM. The dealer provides the work, but GM pays the dealer. Your car has been modified in a way that is no longer supported by GM. It's very possible that the dealership will agree to "cover you" ... in other words, they'll say that they'll eat the repair costs if something goes wrong, but if something heavy goes wrong and you need an engine replacement, expect that they are going to take you to court (betting that you're not going to be able to afford a lawyer) before they cover the cost of a new LS3. And remember that sales people will generally say whatever they think they need to say in order to get you to buy the car, so take everything they say with a Bonneville-sized helping of salt.

You are dealing with modifications that have increased the horsepower of your vehicle. Expect that they will no longer honor any parts in your rear end, transmission, emissions control, and motor. Other than that, you're good.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:31 AM   #5
Joseph1LE

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS 1LE, 2001 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
There is no "get it in writing" with this.

Your warranty is provided by GM, not any dealer. Claims are filled by GM. The dealer provides the work, but GM pays the dealer. Your car has been modified in a way that is no longer supported by GM. It's very possible that the dealership will agree to "cover you" ... in other words, they'll say that they'll eat the repair costs if something goes wrong, but if something heavy goes wrong and you need an engine replacement, expect that they are going to take you to court (betting that you're not going to be able to afford a lawyer) before they cover the cost of a new LS3. And remember that sales people will generally say whatever they think they need to say in order to get you to buy the car, so take everything they say with a Bonneville-sized helping of salt.

You are dealing with modifications that have increased the horsepower of your vehicle. Expect that they will no longer honor any parts in your rear end, transmission, emissions control, and motor. Other than that, you're good.
Maybe he can contact someone directly at GM and see what they say.

2015 Camaro SS 1LE- sold
2001 Camaro SS SOM M6- sold
1999 Firebird Formula A4- sold
Joseph1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 12:34 PM   #6
Billy10mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph1LE View Post
Maybe he can contact someone directly at GM and see what they say.
He can absolutely do that, but I will put $100 on the table right now, that they will tell him it isn't covered the instant they are told he has changed the factory tune.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:08 PM   #7
hcsi99
Cadillac Service Manager

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS, 1LE, NPP, RECAROS
The warranty on the powertrain is technically void due to the tune. This includes engine, trans, rear diff. That being said, if you were at my dealership I would only question the tune if there was a rod sticking out of the side of the block, or if you had a check engine light on that could be directly related. If the oil pan gasket was leaking, or if the water pump went out, I would warranty that. It is all case by case.

There is a lot of gray area when it comes to a tune. Unless you can prove (usually in court) that it's not directly related to the modification, then you are out of luck. Some dealers might go as far as saying the extra HP from the tune caused the water pump, or any drive line component to fail.

I would feel out the service department and the service manager and see how they respond. If you plan on getting warranty work done at the dealership you're purchasing from, now would be a good time to build a good relationship with them. Dealers tend to take care of their customers much better then if you bought it somewhere else and brought it to them for warranty work.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:32 PM   #8
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
The dealer didn't give the trade in squat for the mods. Hold them to book value.
Once you buy it, if you were to take it back to the same place, those mods mean NOTHING.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 01:35 PM   #9
hcsi99
Cadillac Service Manager

How do the mods mean nothing?
Old 12-02-2015, 02:13 PM   #10
Billy10mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcsi99 View Post
How do the mods mean nothing?
Mods have no resale value, ESPECIALLY from a dealership's perspective. The only way mods have resale value is if you find a private buyer willing (sucker enough) to pay for a modified car.

Mods actually devalue a car that would otherwise be under warranty. I go in for a used 2014 1LE and if the car has even so much as a cold-air intake ... I don't buy it unless the price comes down by a few $K to offset my potential out of pocket costs should something come up and my warranty claim is denied because the vehicle was modified.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:20 PM   #11
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Mods have no resale value, ESPECIALLY from a dealership's perspective. The only way mods have resale value is if you find a private buyer willing (sucker enough) to pay for a modified car.

Mods actually devalue a car that would otherwise be under warranty. I go in for a used 2014 1LE and if the car has even so much as a cold-air intake ... I don't buy it unless the price comes down by a few $K to offset my potential out of pocket costs should something come up and my warranty claim is denied because the vehicle was modified.
+1
Old 12-02-2015, 02:35 PM   #12
hcsi99
Cadillac Service Manager

Quote:

I agree. I thought you were implying the mods didn't mean anything as far as the warranty.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:03 PM   #13
Mach83

Drives: 2015 2SS RS 1LE
Mods were done by a well known local shop and didn't include a tune according to paperwork. Mods were done at 500 miles and the car now has 5000. Paperwork actually states that the tune was electively not done, and warns of CEL. Car currently isn't showing a CEL. DT LT's and high flow cats with Borla ATAK.

They won't put anything in writing, wanting to leave this in the murk. I'd be hanging my hat on 'you will probably be ok'. Its a real nice car but I'm just not sure I'm comfortable because if something happened I just know how fast they might run from power-train warranty work. The claim is there is no more room on price due to it being certified and the cost of mods.

She is a 2SS 1LE with RS, Recaros, NAV, NPP, and the cupholder/foot lighting.
Mach83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:05 PM   #14
hcsi99
Cadillac Service Manager

Walk away.