Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 09-26-2018, 06:57 PM   #1
Bottledbird68

Drives: 2011 2ss convertible, 68 firebird
Let’s talk drag week prep

So, been thinking about doing drag week ever since it was introduced. Next year it’s coming closer to home (I live in mass) so think it’s finally time. We have a few cars I could use but the fifth gen I think is the closest to ready so it will be easiest on my budget and probably the most reliable.
Now, I’m looking at street eliminator class so no need to run 8’s lol. But I’d like to be deep 11’s with high 10’s being ideal.
The car, 2011 SS convertible with manual trans. Currently has tsp 1 7/8” long tube headers, no cats, 2.5” mach solo exhaust, jdp anti wheel hop rear suspension package (poly all the things!), lingenfelter 9.5” rear with 4.10’s, dss 1500 horse axles, gforce one piece aluminum driveshaft. Also have zl1 fuel pump and a cold air intake (forget what brand, was on the car when I bought it. Sealed box style).
Sitting on the shelf currently is a tsp stage 3 cam, and a zex nitrous kit along with a window switch, purge, and bottle warmer. Also have a line lock sitting there to handle heating the tires. And an msd boost a pump to wire in when the nitrous is armed. Car will also be getting a cage since it has no roof. Current race weight with me in it was 4050 with heavy ass 22” wheels/tires so I expect that to go up another 100 lbs or so.
Now, here’s where I’d love input. I’m thinking 200 shot. Assuming I can drive how realistic are my goals?
I know I need to add drag oriented wheels/tires. How well do fifth gens work on a good drag radial? Or do I just plan on a set of slicks and put a trailer hitch on the car?
Thinking a progressive controller is needed as well for the nitrous, and may step up to a throttle body plate instead of the single fogger nozzle for consistency and safety. Unless I shake the money tree and just buy a blower lol.
Last question, clutch. I know stock clutch will be my weak link. What’s good these days for some hard drag use that won’t drive like total crap? I’d like to spray out of the hole if I can plant it so I’m my tank I know it’ll see a workout.

Am I on the right track here or am I completely out of my tree? Any and all input is welcome, especially educated input. My ultimate goal would be to make the bracket class at the end of the week but I believe the bump spot was a 10.80 this year so I have my work cut out for me I think?
Bottledbird68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:21 PM   #2
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
I know a bunch of folks who are on FB who have been racing Drag Week for a few years.

I've never raced it, but it seems like last few years track prep was not always consistent, so maybe a slick or a pro bracket radial should be considered.
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:52 PM   #3
Bottledbird68

Drives: 2011 2ss convertible, 68 firebird
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John View Post
I know a bunch of folks who are on FB who have been racing Drag Week for a few years.

I've never raced it, but it seems like last few years track prep was not always consistent, so maybe a slick or a pro bracket radial should be considered.
Yeah I’m leaning that way since I need to be consistent. Most only get a couple passes a day so no room for error there. Just wondering how consistent a good radial would be so I can avoid towing a trailer or putting a basket on a trailer hitch? But if I need to it’s not off the table for things to do
Bottledbird68 is offline   Reply With Quote