Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 01-13-2018, 09:58 AM   #29
Doug Halsey
Toy Collector

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
I hope that the speculation for the new Z/28 is wrong. Why? I'm way too competitive to let that car go by and not want to buy it. Problem is I love the look, sound, and driving capability of my 2015 Z/28. So please don't make another.

With that said you can find internet articles (like Car and Driver) that support the idea that there is "distinct possibility that the Z/28 could use a 750-ish-hp version of the supercharged pushrod small-block V-8 slated for the 2018 C7 Corvette ZR1."

I personally think they might just do it, but then I will never buy a new performance car again because they no longer hold their value. FYI - yes most cars lose their value, but I never had a car lose so much as my Z/28!

Basically, the ROI is not worth the HP / performance value of these modern muscle cars bring to the table to justify buying the next model year.- at least not the ones made by GM.

So lets some other fool be parted with their money. In the end it is all about having fun while driving. I can't always be the fastest, but I can be a more intelligent buyer.

Old 01-13-2018, 11:33 AM   #30
roost3r
@ElHefeZ28

Drives: 2015 White Z28
I think we are all looking at this the wrong way. Even though they couldnt sell them last time Chevy will go with a new approach to mass producing and marketing the car.

Think about this... Fred Gibbs basically created the ZL1 with the special order COPO. Yeah Chevy rode the horse but they didnt birth it. Chevy is behind it now and its clear the ZL1 is the top dog. They built it to compete across all levels of motorsports whether you want to prove your CAR is faster in the straight or if you want to prove YOU are faster in the turns. Chevy did birth the Z28 and I believe you cant argue that the Z28 has been the flagship of the Camaro line since 1969.

My thought is that Chevy goes the route of a more palatable street car than the ZL1 to attract those buyers that want more than the SS but dont want to go as deep as the ZL1. Something that isnt necessarily a track car like what we have but a hot street car, 600 (+/- 25) NA that you can still carry the kids to school in. Is there a market to compete against the GT350 crowd while the ZL1 takes on the GT500?

The 14/15 is Z28, arguably the 14 more so that the 15 given the low production number is a special car. You dont see them on every street corner and I rarely see them another at a show. My Z beat out 2 ZL1 1LEs at the last car show at Rick Hendricks race shops. The Z28 is just a special car and while I believe there WILL be another one. There wont be another one like ours. I believe the Z28 as we know it is dead and what will be born is something that sits in the middle.

Shows like Street Outlaws and the popularity of street racing (right or wrong) along with turbo and supercharged cars has birthed a new generation of performance car enthusiasts. The trash talk between the Kitty Cat/Demon versus the GT500 and the ZL1. Those are the cars that will continue to see developmental dollars. Is there room for a Z28? A car that fits a crowd that wants to play the part but not necessarily partake in it? You have to believe so and you have to believe they would likely sell more than they did last time.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:35 PM   #31
Norris Camaro

Drives: Camaro Z/28
Jesus it's a Car. It's a Car.
Norris Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:37 PM   #32
aris

Drives: Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
No, the original ZL1 was an aluminum 427. It could be ordered in COPO cars. The first production ZL1 had the LSA, so the ZL1 car was never n/a.
The ZL1 was used on concepts through every generation of Camaro except the 3rd gen (I think). There was even a 4th gen ZL1 that had an N/A 572.

My point is, that every time the ZL1 designation has been used on a Camaro, it has had a large N/A motor.

aris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:04 PM   #33
Zslash28
Jumanji

Drives: '14 Z/28 - AGM - No A/C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norris Camaro View Post
Have you posted in the owners list thread at the top of the forum yet?
I track wrecked Z/28s Total lost -41
Zslash28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:14 PM   #34
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zslash28 View Post
Have you posted in the owners list thread at the top of the forum yet?
Lol, sounds like your starting to think he doesn't even own a Z/28 and is just on here to monkey with the Z/28 crowd.
Moreno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:37 PM   #35
MrRaZ28
@MrRaZ28

Drives: 2014 Z28 #80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreno Motorsports View Post
Lol, sounds like your starting to think he doesn't even own a Z/28 and is just on here to monkey with the Z/28 crowd.
I would say that's a far assumption at this point lol. Anyone that has one of these never says "It's just a car" because it isn't. It's THE car.

I think roost3r has valid points across the board on this, as does DRKS1D3. All bases are covered, BUT we'll see I guess.
MrRaZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:23 AM   #36
Doug Halsey
Toy Collector

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norris Camaro View Post
Everyone has their reason for buying their car. For me I had a 1969 Camaro SS when I was 24 (in the early 90's) – it was what I could afford since my dream car was a 1969 Z/28. Until then I only had practical cars. When my wife died two years later I had to sell it to pay for the funeral – Long story, I was in the military and didn’t have a lot of money & her company said she declined her insurance coverage a month earlier (yeah right).

So many years later when the new gen 5 Camaro debuted I prayed they would make a Z/28. When they did and the price was a crazy $75K I thought there is no way I could get one. However, I justified it by doing my research and I read the engineer comments on how this would be the last true Z/28. And with the new emissions and how they just supercharged the Z06, it made sense that this would be the last naturally aspirated Z/28.

So you ask why I care? It’s just a car? For those who think a car is just for transportation then yeah it’s a car.

For others a car represents freedom, art, and an engineering masterpiece. - That's me.

But if you think that the Z/28 is just a car why are you writing in this forum? Unless you’re a troll.

I'm sure you will now say you love the car, but..... At this point it doesn't matter what you say, because to you its just a car.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:35 PM   #37
Norris Camaro

Drives: Camaro Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Halsey View Post
Everyone has their reason for buying their car. For me I had a 1969 Camaro SS when I was 24 (in the early 90's) – it was what I could afford since my dream car was a 1969 Z/28. Until then I only had practical cars. When my wife died two years later I had to sell it to pay for the funeral – Long story, I was in the military and didn’t have a lot of money & her company said she declined her insurance coverage a month earlier (yeah right).

So many years later when the new gen 5 Camaro debuted I prayed they would make a Z/28. When they did and the price was a crazy $75K I thought there is no way I could get one. However, I justified it by doing my research and I read the engineer comments on how this would be the last true Z/28. And with the new emissions and how they just supercharged the Z06, it made sense that this would be the last naturally aspirated Z/28.

So you ask why I care? It’s just a car? For those who think a car is just for transportation then yeah it’s a car.

For others a car represents freedom, art, and an engineering masterpiece. - That's me.

But if you think that the Z/28 is just a car why are you writing in this forum? Unless you’re a troll.

I'm sure you will now say you love the car, but..... At this point it doesn't matter what you say, because to you its just a car.
May God bless you my good friend
Norris Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:14 AM   #38
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by aris View Post
The ZL1 was used on concepts through every generation of Camaro except the 3rd gen (I think). There was even a 4th gen ZL1 that had an N/A 572.

My point is, that every time the ZL1 designation has been used on a Camaro, it has had a large N/A motor.
The ZL1 moniker has been used twice by GM: First in '69, then brought back to life in '12. All these other so-called "ZL1" prototypes were nothing more than a one-off, engineering brainstorm that never saw the light of day. They were never produced for sale. The only other ZL1 allotted for sale was the '11-'12 SLP ZL1 and that was a 3rd party car, not even produced by GM.

The Z/28 has ALWAYS been a track-focused NA machine and is one of the most popular names in pony car history. IMHO, GM should keep it true to its heritage and go NA...if it is indeed being made.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:39 AM   #39
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
I think will see it this year and it will go on sale next year, starting to save for this new ride.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote