Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-13-2015, 04:13 PM   #1
Inferno2SS

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Forced to trade in Camaro

I have been working from home the last 5 years and was able to schedule meetings around the weather so my Camaro's lack of mobility in the winter wasnt a big issue. I recently got promoted and need to go into the office a bit more for meetings etc so sadly I had to trade in my 2010 Camaro 2SS.

I narrowed my search down to 3 cars the BMW 4 series, Lexus RC 350 and the Cadillac ATS coupe. I basically wanted something with around 300 HP and AWD. Looks wise I liked the Lexus the best, but after driving all 3 of them the decision was pretty easy. I ended up going with the 2015 ATS Coupe 2.0T AWD. Ive had it about a week now and so far so good. It is very comfortable, the handling is great and the interior is very nice.

Hopefully in a few years I will be in a position to add a 2nd car to drive around during the summer as I am really going to miss the smile factor of my SS.

I will say if the new Camaro drives as nice as the ATS on the alpha platform people are going to be extremely pleased.

Inferno2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:19 PM   #2
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
Good luck sweet car
Old 01-13-2015, 04:21 PM   #3
Blackchevyroarin

Drives: 2012 camaro 1ls 3.6 LFX
Congrats on the new car! I love the ats!! When shall the mods begin?
Blackchevyroarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:23 PM   #4
Inferno2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackchevyroarin View Post
Congrats on the new car! I love the ats!! When shall the mods begin?
Thanks! Does tint count? I did that yesterday.

Also just ordered a new set of wheels today.

Old 01-13-2015, 04:25 PM   #5
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
My buddy's wife owns a sedan clone with the awd. He switched to the Continental DWS tires and it does even better in the snow. Drastic improvement, I guess.
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:25 PM   #6
Blackchevyroarin

Drives: 2012 camaro 1ls 3.6 LFX
I hear tint adds at least 40 Hp to the back right wheel! I love the hell out of those wheels though. Cant wait to see the after pictures
Blackchevyroarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:31 PM   #7
Inferno2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef-beavis View Post
My buddy's wife owns a sedan clone with the awd. He switched to the Continental DWS tires and it does even better in the snow. Drastic improvement, I guess.
That is good to know, I actually got the Continental DWS tires with those new wheels I ordered.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:57 PM   #8
King T

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2011 Buick Regal Turbo
Congrats Inferno2SS!

The ATS coupes look great, and that is a very nice wheel choice you selected too!

In for more pics (now and when you get your wheels installed) and driving impressions
Old 01-13-2015, 07:12 PM   #9
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
nice car, but seriously I would have kept the Camaro and just put on good snow tires..

everything I have read and seen, RWD with the proper tires performs better than AWD with the wrong tires.

I don't drive my Camaro in snow, as I live in Southern California, but I grew up in NYC and drove many RWD cars with no traction control crap in the snow and with snow tires never had an issue.

Now the only snow we see is in the 4x4 when we go to the mountains to ski, but I seldom if ever put the truck into 4x4, having the right tires and the truck does fine in the snow.

here's a video of an AWD vs. RWD in the snow.

RWD BMW M3 with snow tires.

AWD Subaru Forester with summer tires:

Old 01-14-2015, 12:25 AM   #10
Inferno2SS

Summer tires come loose on cold roads let alone wet / snowy ones. All season tires is another story. I agree that good tires make a huge difference and RWD is fine until, that is until you get stopped at light or stop sign on a hill. Than all bets are off.

We dont get a ton of snow here in Denver, but when we do get it, it comes on pretty hard and pretty fast. Ive had RWD cars with snow tires and they do ok, but it really can be a disaster at times as well. If you do get caught on a hill in traffic, the only way to get moving again is for some one to give you a nudge from behind. No way would I want some one doing that to my Camaro.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:37 PM   #11
TastyBake

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno2SS View Post
Summer tires come loose on cold roads let alone wet / snowy ones. All season tires is another story. I agree that good tires make a huge difference and RWD is fine until, that is until you get stopped at light or stop sign on a hill. Than all bets are off.

We dont get a ton of snow here in Denver, but when we do get it, it comes on pretty hard and pretty fast. Ive had RWD cars with snow tires and they do ok, but it really can be a disaster at times as well. If you do get caught on a hill in traffic, the only way to get moving again is for some one to give you a nudge from behind. No way would I want some one doing that to my Camaro.
Have to admit, this is true.

I have snow tires and I only got stuck once. Its a tank and I never felt more safe. But I can see areas where even I will get stuck, like a hill or thick snow. AWD does resolve that.

How's the power from the 2.0T? I drove a Regal GS and it wasn't bad but I wasn't blown away from the power.
TastyBake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:22 PM   #12
Muscle Car Memories

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS,6 Speed,NPP Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno2SS View Post
I have been working from home the last 5 years and was able to schedule meetings around the weather so my Camaro's lack of mobility in the winter wasnt a big issue. I recently got promoted and need to go into the office a bit more for meetings etc so sadly I had to trade in my 2010 Camaro 2SS.

I narrowed my search down to 3 cars the BMW 4 series, Lexus RC 350 and the Cadillac ATS coupe. I basically wanted something with around 300 HP and AWD. Looks wise I liked the Lexus the best, but after driving all 3 of them the decision was pretty easy. I ended up going with the 2015 ATS Coupe 2.0T AWD. Ive had it about a week now and so far so good. It is very comfortable, the handling is great and the interior is very nice.

Hopefully in a few years I will be in a position to add a 2nd car to drive around during the summer as I am really going to miss the smile factor of my SS.

I will say if the new Camaro drives as nice as the ATS on the alpha platform people are going to be extremely pleased.

Damn good looking Caddy!!
Muscle Car Memories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 04:04 PM   #13
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Life happens. Enjoy the new car!
Old 01-16-2015, 05:58 PM   #14
Inferno2SS

Here are a few picks with the tint and new 19" wheels.

Last edited by Inferno2SS; 01-19-2015 at 04:49 PM.