Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 04-24-2012, 06:31 PM   #1
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
Why do we not see many large displacement FI engines?

I have always wondered on this. ITs pretty easy to make a +460 CI engine using the LXS blocks. They are certainly strong enough to open up this big and some even up to 500 CI with the tall deck version.

Why is it that we do not see any large displacement engines used with a blower setup up for even mild boost?

I would think a 460-480 CI engine with 6-7 lbs of boost would be scary powerful.

Do we not have any blowers that can keep up with the volumn needed for this size of displacement.

Just curious why its not done. I was reading up about an LSX build that was 500 CI that produced 717 HP and around 650 Ft/LBs of torque and thought, wonder what 6 lbs of boost would do to those numbers.

Certainly am not an expert, maybe there is a very important reason why we do not see this from a mechanical set up reasoning. Just curious and would like to be educated by those that know.

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:40 PM   #2
camarostar2010

Drives: 2011 SS
I am no expert but bigger engines usually seem to rev less on the rpm band. I mean as in less total rpm capability in general. So it a trade off mostly. They give more torque but rev a lots less. Plus the long stroke put stress on the block and the sides of the pistons. again this is what I have seen written on some similar articles.
camarostar2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:53 PM   #3
Padre
Only drives on Sundays

Drives: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC NGray
I'm guessing mainly longer stroke is unfriendly, especially because of the compromises you have to make with the pistons on such builds.

Also, as you say, the extra volume would require a bigger blower, which makes it difficult for the guys going the upgrade route. For me, going from a D1 to an F1(n) would require all new pipes (bigger diameter), etc.

E.g. in my build, if I went forged but stock CID, I would be pushing close to 15lbs through my D1SC and making over 800rwhp - through stock heads, stock intake manifold, stock TB, and shorty headers!

Why do I need to go bigger again?

Now, if I started from scratch, 427 with an F1X and all supporting mods would be the way to go, but right now I don't need a freight train.

Padre

OLD HOTNESS: The "Heretic": '11 2SS/RS L99 A6 Black/Inferno. Build Journal, Videos
D1SC GT9 JBA-LT = 720/680 | 10.330 @ 133.61, 1.546 sixty... Camaro King at ECS V, Darlington.
NEW HOTNESS: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC. Bone Stock, 1/8th: 8.051 @ 89.44, 1.919
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:40 PM   #4
Synner

Drives: cars
It's a recession?

Easy enough to run out of traction on stock cubes so going huge is just added money. Only good if you want a dyno queen, bragging rights, or do lots of sheetmetal work to get huge tires. If I had the cash for 500 cubes I'd leave it all motor.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:20 PM   #5
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
The longer the stroke and wider the bore, the less friendly to high cylinder pressures.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:37 PM   #6
LSX-80MM
Ghostly Unknown

Drives: Silver Ice 2010 SS/RS A6
All the above, plus a 500 inch motor would be a pig on fuel,I like the fact of making plenty of "USABLE" power,and getting 20+ mpg............
TS416,GMPPLSX-LS3 6 Bolt Heads,Custom 80mmComp Turbo,ID850 Injectors, Lonnies Twin Pump Setup,Level 3 4L80E,DSS,3in Magnaflow Exhaust,CoolingMist Meth,RX Dual Catch Can,InnovateWB,Aeroforce Interceptor,AEM Truboost Controller,matte black CF5 Forgestars.700rwhp/712rwtrq
LSX-80MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:48 PM   #7
thebeast916

Drives: Blown G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSX-80MM View Post
All the above, plus a 500 inch motor would be a pig on fuel,I like the fact of making plenty of "USABLE" power,and getting 20+ mpg............
Agreed on that. I'm a 6.0 362ci on 9.5 lbs making a lot of power and still getting 16 city 25 highway.
thebeast916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:06 PM   #8
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
We actually started with a 454, then 440, 427, 416, 408 and settled on 388. With the large bore and short stroke it is very strong, loves pressure, gets really good mileage and has a boost range upwards of 40 psi. Drives like a little old lady car if you keep your foot out of it.

A while back it took a stout 540 with an F-2 to make similar power and it really chews through fuel.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:36 PM   #9
Hendrix-Engineering
Account Suspended

Drives: First 9 inch-12 bolt IRS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
We actually started with a 454, then 440, 427, 416, 408 and settled on 388. With the large bore and short stroke it is very strong, loves pressure, gets really good mileage and has a boost range upwards of 40 psi. Drives like a little old lady car if you keep your foot out of it.

A while back it took a stout 540 with an F-2 to make similar power and it really chews through fuel.
Wise choice ,when will it be on the track?
Hendrix-Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:22 PM   #10
Fiftydriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarostar2010 View Post
I am no expert but bigger engines usually seem to rev less on the rpm band. I mean as in less total rpm capability in general. So it a trade off mostly. They give more torque but rev a lots less. Plus the long stroke put stress on the block and the sides of the pistons. again this is what I have seen written on some similar articles.
The Maggie and Whipple do their best work at low RPM.....

I can see the added stress on the pistons but I thought the LSX and RHS blocks were designed specifically for long strokes and full piston support?

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Old 04-24-2012, 10:25 PM   #11
RSBAD454
Procharged

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via Yahoo to RSBAD454
Here you go, 509 CI with Procharger.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:26 PM   #12
Fiftydriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
It's a recession?

Easy enough to run out of traction on stock cubes so going huge is just added money. Only good if you want a dyno queen, bragging rights, or do lots of sheetmetal work to get huge tires. If I had the cash for 500 cubes I'd leave it all motor.
There are 500 camaros here on Camaro5 that fit that discription Not that that makes them any less impressive, just saying. Lots of our cars are project cars.

With the cash some guys are putting into their cars today, I hardly think we do not see these set ups because of financial reasons but I can understand the mechanical stand point.

More to come!!
Old 04-24-2012, 10:30 PM   #13
Fiftydriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeast916 View Post
Agreed on that. I'm a 6.0 362ci on 9.5 lbs making a lot of power and still getting 16 city 25 highway.
I agree that its much more practical to stay smaller in cubes but I think we would all agree that some just want to be way outside the box!!! Just wondering why we do not see more of this, even extreme displacement NA engines are not all that common.

Again, I know we make smaller displacement engines make huge power, just surpised we do not see some of those extreme guys doing something with wild cubes.

Just comes down to not being practical or reliable or it likely would be more common.

More to come!!
Old 04-24-2012, 10:33 PM   #14
Fiftydriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post

So you started with a 454 and simply shortened the stroke to end up with a 388? Interesting!!! I have always wondered, for example, would a 388 combo with long stroke, small bore produce the same HP/Torque as a 388 combo with short stroke, large bore?????

I would think your set up would rev like wild and be hell for stout!!!

More to come!!