Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-12-2019, 09:40 AM   #1
Capster78

Drives: 2011 Cyber Grey Metalic 2SS
LT's / Exhaust options

I've been out of the hobby for awhile and was looking for some recommendations. I know they will vary widely as everyone has personal preferences. Maybe if I explain what I am looking for it will make it easier.

I have owned 3 F-body's (99, 00, and 01 TA's) in the past. I currently own a 2011 Camaro SS automatic. When I owned my previous cars they all had SLP loudmouth exhaust and headers. Seeing that was nearly 20 years ago, I'm sure better things exist. However, I did love the way SLP's loudmouth / LT's sounded. They droned at 3-4k RPM with the 3500 Yank stall converter I had but that didn't bother me that much.

My plan is to do this in stages. First, Id like to do long tubes / exhaust. Then I would like to go with a supercharger / stall converter and probably wont go much further then that. Just want a drivable 500+ hp car to have a small amount, but not too much fun with. Price is not an issue and there is no such thing as too loud... However, I don't want it to sound too raspy.
Capster78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:54 AM   #2
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I’m running Stainless Power LTs with their high flow cats, full Z28 system with NPP (2 3/4 vs 2 1/2) with a X pipe from a C7 Corvette sounds awesome a little raspy but I leave the valves open on my 2010 SS. PM me a your cell an I’ll send you a sound clip from the front stretch of NCM.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 08:49 PM   #3
Bow94z

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
I’m running Stainless Power LTs with their high flow cats, full Z28 system with NPP (2 3/4 vs 2 1/2) with a X pipe from a C7 Corvette sounds awesome a little raspy but I leave the valves open on my 2010 SS. PM me a your cell an I’ll send you a sound clip from the front stretch of NCM.
Basically running same setup as you. I have factory LS3 resonators still on the car before the NPP mufflers. Big fan of the sound. Zero drone. I can also provide a video if you want.
Headers and a tune make the biggest difference on these cars.

NPP exhaust is GM’s performance exhaust option that has a “flap” that can open and close on one of the tips on each side of the quad tip setup

Automatic cars have the huge resonator in the middle
Attached Images

4:10's, Trutrac
Solid Cradle Bushings, BMR Toe and Trailing arms
Bow94z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 11:52 PM   #4
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Z28’s don’t have the resonators either.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 08:30 AM   #5
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
I'm running Kooks LT's with high flow cats and Solo's Mach XL catback. Before my cam it was done free. After my cam I'm playing with the J pipes to get rid of the last of the drone. It cruises quiet as a church mouse on the highway, but step on it and it is beastly. The only place it has some drone left (again, I've almost got that tuned out) is about 1,200 rpms. A little more tweaking and it will be gone.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 11:02 AM   #6
kamkam1

Drives: 2ss
I’m running TSP 2” long tubes with front cat delete wit no other changes and the sounds awesome. You don’t know they are on there except for cold starts and spirited driving. I couldn’t be more pleased... And zero drone at any RPM....
kamkam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 09:08 PM   #7
antman

Drives: Victory Red 2013 Camaro SS/RS, L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
I've been out of the hobby for awhile and was looking for some recommendations. I know they will vary widely as everyone has personal preferences. Maybe if I explain what I am looking for it will make it easier.

I have owned 3 F-body's (99, 00, and 01 TA's) in the past. I currently own a 2011 Camaro SS automatic. When I owned my previous cars they all had SLP loudmouth exhaust and headers. Seeing that was nearly 20 years ago, I'm sure better things exist. However, I did love the way SLP's loudmouth / LT's sounded. They droned at 3-4k RPM with the 3500 Yank stall converter I had but that didn't bother me that much.

My plan is to do this in stages. First, Id like to do long tubes / exhaust. Then I would like to go with a supercharger / stall converter and probably wont go much further then that. Just want a drivable 500+ hp car to have a small amount, but not too much fun with. Price is not an issue and there is no such thing as too loud... However, I don't want it to sound too raspy.
I'm selling a Solo Mach XL catback with j-pipes that fits a 5th gen auto if you're interested. Can get loud with headers but with zero drone. Has less than 100 miles on it. Nothing wrong with it just wanted to try something else. Check the listing in the members classifieds for pictures.
antman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 01:14 AM   #8
Athletics101

Drives: 5th Gen L99
I have kooks long tubes without cats and a borla atak catback and it sounded good before the cam. After the cam and heads, the car sounded amazing better than I could have expected.
LSA conversion 2.5 upper 10% lower, L99 converted to LS3. TSP 229/244 cam, TSP LS3 ported and milled heads milled .015,Kooks LT’s no cats, Roto Fab, Borla arak cat back. 3200 stall,Forgestar F14 18’s and drag radials, pedders coil overs, BMR trailing arms & adjustable toe rods, mildly stripped Interior 685/613 on E 610/571 on 91
Athletics101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 09:07 AM   #9
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
If you are doing this in stages, as you say, start with any popular brand headers, hi flo cats on stock cat back. Despite popular belief, these cars sound great this way.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote