Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 06-28-2014, 02:29 AM   #1
YoungMulaBaby

Drives: Camaro 2014 2LT
Steering wheel Bezels

I was thinking of spray painting the bezels of my steering wheel. However after looking through all the DIYs, is it easier to just mask everything on the steering wheel leaving only the bezels uncovered, and aerosol spray paint that? Any tips would be appreciated.
YoungMulaBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:25 AM   #2
Forcer

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
the steering wheel bezel does not take long to come off, i have not removed a 2014 steering wheel, but im sure its the same steps...

Disconnect the negative on the battery, wait 15 minutes for any power to turn off.

Put a small screw driver or allen wrench in the small holes in the back of the steering wheel, find the spring and press and pull gently (and some aggressive) till it pops on one side, then do the other hole.

gently disconnect the blue/yellow wires that plug into the airbag and lay face up on your passenger seat floor.

Disconnect the side button pigtails, and start removing the bezel by pulling towards yourself.

It sounds complicated but it is really easy, the biggest thing i can stress is be careful about the yellow/blue wires plugged into the airbag, dont pop off the locking tab on them. That will make your airbag light come on.
Forcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:34 AM   #3
CamaroI

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro
One thing I would leave everything alone for 30 min just to be safe once battery disconnected. Better safe than sorry. Very easy to take steering wheel off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CamaroI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:25 AM   #4
YoungMulaBaby

Drives: Camaro 2014 2LT
This may sound like a stupid question. But where exactly is the battery, and how do I "disconnect" it? I realize its below the trunk floor. So, when I disconnect the battery, and connect it back (after I'm finishing with the bezels and I do everything right), will the air bag pop out? That's the only thing I'm afraid of.
YoungMulaBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 02:48 PM   #5
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungMulaBaby View Post
This may sound like a stupid question. But where exactly is the battery, and how do I "disconnect" it? I realize its below the trunk floor. So, when I disconnect the battery, and connect it back (after I'm finishing with the bezels and I do everything right), will the air bag pop out? That's the only thing I'm afraid of.

Battery is in the trunk as your mentioned. Remove the carpet, and the cover to get to it. To disconnect it, just remove the positive cable with a 10mm socket. The airbag won't pop when you hook it back up. Just remember to not close the trunk after you unhook the battery, otherwise you'll be crawling in through the backseat to release it manually.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:30 AM   #6
GAHDOOSH
GAHDOOSH

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS
Anyone that has done this before that could take the time to get some photos or make a quick video of the airbag removal would be greatly appreciated. This seems to come up a LOT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 1SS 6.2L LT1 Manual 6-Speed, Front Emblem Blackout, Rear Bowtie Delete, Side emblem delete, Phastek Side Marker Tint, GM Black Taillights, $23.57 of Premium Gas this morning

GAHDOOSH is offline   Reply With Quote