Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-11-2021, 10:19 PM   #15
EJSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
I have a gpi ss1 camshaft as well. Ryan did a remote tune for me and had it dialed in on the first try. His tuning is pretty incredible. Only thing I would suggest is going with a high end lifter. I used the gm performance racing lifters and they are kinda noisy in my engine. But other than that it runs awesome.
I realize this is an old thread but since you already brought it back from the grave I figured I'd chime in since this is what I was about to post about anyway.

So I want to get a stage one cam and it seems that most people love the GPI ss1 vvt cam. Is this the best route? I want to get rid of the afm lifters but I want to keep vvt. I want a mild cam because this is a daily driver and I want to keep this car forever, I dont want to break it or have to spend thousands on supporting mods. Basically I'm just looking for some solid gains that wont break the bank and also wont break the car.

So far I'm catless with a z28 intake. No tune.. yet.

And for my main concern.. I'm near new orleans and I dont know of any shops around here. Does anyone know a reputable shop and/or prices for an install? I want to spend as little as possible obviously but my max is probably around 3k
EJSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 02:53 AM   #16
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJSS View Post
I realize this is an old thread but since you already brought it back from the grave I figured I'd chime in since this is what I was about to post about anyway.

So I want to get a stage one cam and it seems that most people love the GPI ss1 vvt cam. Is this the best route? I want to get rid of the afm lifters but I want to keep vvt. I want a mild cam because this is a daily driver and I want to keep this car forever, I dont want to break it or have to spend thousands on supporting mods. Basically I'm just looking for some solid gains that wont break the bank and also wont break the car.

So far I'm catless with a z28 intake. No tune.. yet.

And for my main concern.. I'm near new orleans and I dont know of any shops around here. Does anyone know a reputable shop and/or prices for an install? I want to spend as little as possible obviously but my max is probably around 3k
Your not going to get it done for $3000. I spent around $2400 just on parts alone with the trunnion upgrades and another $3000 on labor. But as far as the gpi SS1 camshaft goes It's a pretty rowdy camshaft. Mine bucks in gear at a stop and shakes the car quite a bit. If you don't mind that then it is a great camshaft for power. It definitely wakes the engine up. I think the power gain was substantial with the long tubes and tune and if had to do it again would probably just stick with that set up. Unfortunately if I was going to do the camshaft again I would probably go with the LS9 for better idle quality and daily drivability.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 01:16 PM   #17
EJSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
Your not going to get it done for $3000. I spent around $2400 just on parts alone with the trunnion upgrades and another $3000 on labor. But as far as the gpi SS1 camshaft goes It's a pretty rowdy camshaft. Mine bucks in gear at a stop and shakes the car quite a bit. If you don't mind that then it is a great camshaft for power. It definitely wakes the engine up. I think the power gain was substantial with the long tubes and tune and if had to do it again would probably just stick with that set up. Unfortunately if I was going to do the camshaft again I would probably go with the LS9 for better idle quality and daily drivability.
Thank you for the thorough response, answers my question perfectly. I'm shocked that it costs this much... I've always thought that a cam instal was somewhere in the $2k range, I had no idea I'd be looking at that much. And I didnt realize the shaking would he that noticeable either. Maybe I'll have to reconsider completely..
Old 04-12-2021, 03:00 PM   #18
Coops

Drives: 2010 camaro ss white
think i payed $1700 for install and tune, parts where $1700 from gpi, that was last year, car made 90 hp more and is a blast to drive
coop
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 03:08 PM   #19
morepowerjoe

Yeah the $2400 I spent in parts included the remote tune as well.

Sorry I was incorrect on this amount. $2400 was just in parts plus another $775 for the tune.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Last edited by morepowerjoe; 04-12-2021 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-12-2021, 04:31 PM   #20
Modernmusclecar

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Im in Canada and paid alot with the ls3 conversion and Frankenstein heads. Everything had to come from the US.
EPS CUSTOM GRIND CAM....K@N CAI....VMAX PTB.....FRANKENSTEIN STAGE 2 HEADS ...1 7/8 STAINLESS POWER CATTED LONGTUBE HEADERS...CORSA XTREME 3 INCH CATBACK.....CIRCLE D 3800 Pro Series stall...391 gears.....Ported/modded GPI intake .Forgestar drag pack with Mickey Thompson ET street drag radials AGP PERFORMANCE DYNO TUNED. 463 WHP 428 FTLBS TORQUE.
Modernmusclecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 04:37 PM   #21
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Yea it is not cheap to do on these VVT engines. I think all said and done mine ended up costing about 5500 parts and labor, and we did an LS3 conversion on mine and AFM/DOD delete, and that was with the tune, then we threw in a converter and cooler for another 1000 bucks. And on the cam choice if you like a certain cam for it's performance you can have it ground with a wider LSA to "settle down" the shaking a bit so it is not so radical.
Old 04-12-2021, 09:09 PM   #22
EJSS

Thanks guys, I really want to do it but I'll probably hold off for now.. I know I read about few people who got the cam kit for right over a thousand (not the conversion, just the vvt cam kit) and did the work themselves so I might go this route and follow a guide and just pay for a tune after. But i need to do lifters which means heads have to come off... when I think about all of that, i think I'd rather just stay slow for now lol...
I'd get long tubes but I feel like it will be barely noticable difference from catless, I dont want to spend over a grand on like 10 hp..
Old 04-13-2021, 02:03 AM   #23
morepowerjoe

Quote:
Thanks guys, I really want to do it but I'll probably hold off for now.. I know I read about few people who got the cam kit for right over a thousand (not the conversion, just the vvt cam kit) and did the work themselves so I might go this route and follow a guide and just pay for a tune after. But i need to do lifters which means heads have to come off... when I think about all of that, i think I'd rather just stay slow for now lol...
I'd get long tubes but I feel like it will..be barely noticable difference from catless, I dont want to spend over a grand on like 10 hp..
I think long tubes and a tune add like 50 - 60 hp maybe someone else can confirm. And it's definitely a noticeable gain. Like I said I kinda wish I would of stuck to a ls9 cam which I don't think it is a big deal over stock and long tubes and my tsp exhaust system because it was absolutely noticeable. I think you should go with a long tube system and a cat back exhaust system. And then once you get the tune you can have the afm turned off if you don't want it for the time being until you can do your cam. I think the cam swap is doable yourself, the only reason I didn't do mine myself was I have a bad back and couldn't see leaning over the car for two days. I think that you'll be very happy with long tubes. I'm a little bit biased but I really like my TSP long tubes and 3" cat back exhaust system. I did it all myself in my garage with jack stands and a creeper in like 3 hrs.

Old 04-13-2021, 05:07 PM   #24
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
^^^ Yes, with the LT's and a good tune you should see 35-40rwhp gains, I got 37rwhp, sometimes even a bit more, and you WILL notice it for sure!! Really wakes up the car and makes you want to get more with a cam swap. The power is out there to be had, that's for certain, LT's without a tune around 20-30 and a possible CEL.
Old 04-13-2021, 05:47 PM   #25
EJSS

I see, those gain seem significant, but I'm already making about 18 additional hp just with the catless midpipes so if I were to make +40 with long tubes and a tune, that would be approximately an additional 20 hp from where I'm currently at, give or take a few. I think decent long tubes with a tune would probably end up costing me somewhere a little north of $1,000. Which that's fine, but I'm wondering if my thousand should be better spent on those additional 20 hp or if I should put that toward a cam. Unfortunately I have a limited budget as I am the sole provider for my household including 3 young ones. Sucks to be me, I know..
Old 04-13-2021, 08:48 PM   #26
Modernmusclecar

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
I see, those gain seem significant, but I'm already making about 18 additional hp just with the catless midpipes so if I were to make +40 with long tubes and a tune, that would be approximately an additional 20 hp from where I'm currently at, give or take a few. I think decent long tubes with a tune would probably end up costing me somewhere a little north of $1,000. Which that's fine, but I'm wondering if my thousand should be better spent on those additional 20 hp or if I should put that toward a cam. Unfortunately I have a limited budget as I am the sole provider for my household including 3 young ones. Sucks to be me, I know..
When you cam your car longtubes are needed to move that exhsust better. Where did you hear youre getting 18 hp by being catless? With a limited budget a cam is hard to do. Get your longtubes and a tune and enjoy the nice bump in power and sound. They are a fav bolton for a reason.Do tbe camwhen funds allow.
EPS CUSTOM GRIND CAM....K@N CAI....VMAX PTB.....FRANKENSTEIN STAGE 2 HEADS ...1 7/8 STAINLESS POWER CATTED LONGTUBE HEADERS...CORSA XTREME 3 INCH CATBACK.....CIRCLE D 3800 Pro Series stall...391 gears.....Ported/modded GPI intake .Forgestar drag pack with Mickey Thompson ET street drag radials AGP PERFORMANCE DYNO TUNED. 463 WHP 428 FTLBS TORQUE.
Modernmusclecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:52 PM   #27
morepowerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modernmusclecar View Post
When you cam your car longtubes are needed to move that exhsust better. Where did you hear youre getting 18 hp by being catless? With a limited budget a cam is hard to do. Get your longtubes and a tune and enjoy the nice bump in power and sound. They are a fav bolton for a reason.Do tbe camwhen funds allow.
I agree. You'll fall in love with long tubes. Do you still have the factory exhaust?

Old 04-13-2021, 10:14 PM   #28
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
think i payed $1700 for install and tune, parts where $1700 from gpi, that was last year, car made 90 hp more and is a blast to drive
coop
That's very close to what I paid getting everything from GPI, including tune and an HP Tuners device. I think.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote