Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 05-04-2010, 01:38 AM   #15
urr2slo

Drives: 2010 2ss ss/rs abm, 2016 2ss/rs hbm
i'm voting hurst, thats what i got and its the best out there since i said so. ask my girlfriend, she says i'm a know it all, so i must be right.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:06 PM   #16
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
I'm contemplating a short shifter, but I'm on a budget. The Barton shifter fits the budget, but from watching the Barton video of the guy shifting, they throws look way to short for what I want... I'm wondering if maybe we shouldn't have people try to measure the shift throw front to back so we can compare the different brands "easier" for what a guy is looking for?
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:22 PM   #17
darenf02

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6SP LS7 swapped
This was one of the very first things I looked into as soon as I got mine. That factory shift knob is....is.....I can't even describe it. A white elephant maybe?? It's like they spent Years designing everything else to near perfection (ok ok except the omission of the dash ABL--seriously??, speakers suck, and the exhaust is too quiet), had some left over junk in a pile and said, "What the Hell are we going to do with this stuff??? OHHH crap we forgot to design a shifter!!!" and that was the extent of it. After much thought and research, I've actually yet to make a purchase. I have narrowed it down to two, and I *may* decide to get creative. Not going to spill the details on that just yet since I haven't fully decided if I'm ready to spend Several hundred bucks on an experiment. All I can say is that you'll probably be happy with ANYTHING other than the stock one! lol

*Thinking to self: I don't know if I made it clear I hate the stock shifter. Oh well, Maybe, just Maybe, I've gotten the idea across.*
darenf02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:23 PM   #18
steeleshark2

Drives: 2010 Transformer 1SS Camaro
I vote MTI!! I love my MTI six shooter. It has a 25% shorter throw with no extra effort to shift gears from stock. It gives a great control feeling and really lets you know if you are in gear. There are shorter throw shifters out there however, it gets very hard to shift the gears because you have to fight the transmission synchros. That is very annoying in traffic. Go with MTI, you WILL NOT be dissappointed. Here is a video I did to show the throw:
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:23 PM   #19
11flat

Drives: 2010 camaro ss/rs m6
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeleshark2 View Post
I vote MTI!! I love my MTI six shooter. It has a 25% shorter throw with no extra effort to shift gears from stock. It gives a great control feeling and really lets you know if you are in gear. There are shorter throw shifters out there however, it gets very hard to shift the gears because you have to fight the transmission synchros. That is very annoying in traffic. Go with MTI, you WILL NOT be dissappointed. Here is a video I did to show the throw:

OBVIOUSLY you have never Driven a car with the Barton in it. There is nothing "annoying" about it. The Barton shifter is one of my favorite mods I have made. Not to mention they dont charge a Camaro TAX
11flat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:36 PM   #20
HINEY1
TRANS4MR

Drives: Camaro's & Corvette's

I went to Camaro5fest to buy a Hurst shifter!
After talking with george at MGW, I was convinced that it was the way to go.
Barton, MTI and Hurst have great products and I can't see why any of these wouldn't be a better choice than stock.
MGW gives you the whole shifter, not just the shaft and ball.
George even installed it a week later on my way home.

It's like driving (shifting) a different car!
Awesome!
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2010, 07:38 PM   #21
steeleshark2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11flat View Post
OBVIOUSLY you have never Driven a car with the Barton in it. There is nothing "annoying" about it. The Barton shifter is one of my favorite mods I have made. Not to mention they dont charge a Camaro TAX
No Camaro tax when you have free install!!!
Old 05-04-2010, 07:53 PM   #22
11flat

Drives: 2010 camaro ss/rs m6
It took me 30 minutes to install the Barton on jack stands. If you paid $180 MORE then I did.. I would say it wasnt a "FREE" install Im not saying yours isnt a great shifter, im sure it shifts great and your happy with it and thats all that matters. But your comment about "fighting" with a shorter throw isnt correct... at least with my experiance from the Barton.
We both chose a different route and we are both happy.. I just have more money left in my pocket...Im just messin with ya
11flat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:22 PM   #23
steeleshark2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11flat View Post
It took me 30 minutes to install the Barton on jack stands. If you paid $180 MORE then I did.. I would say it wasnt a "FREE" install Im not saying yours isnt a great shifter, im sure it shifts great and your happy with it and thats all that matters. But your comment about "fighting" with a shorter throw isnt correct... at least with my experiance from the Barton.
We both chose a different route and we are both happy.. I just have more money left in my pocket...Im just messin with ya
I have just tried shorter throw shifters in other camaros and could feel the transmission synchros and took a bit more effort to shift. Others have reported it on this site also. I do not know what brand but I didn't like it. I never said I didnt like Barton, actually I was in between MTI and Barton when I made a decision. The main reason I went with MTI is they had the free install at C5 fest with a quality shifter. I love the feel now and am very happy with the purchase. Thats all, as for putting the car on jackstands and doing it yourself, not with my hands lol!! I would be getting someone to do the install. Anyway, heres one to ya right back!!
Old 05-04-2010, 08:43 PM   #24
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
<3 my Hurst