Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 03-29-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
Mud
In Mud We Trust

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Steve @SubT, Question for you...

I've read your posts and looked at the products...very nice. Just have some questions.

I listen to classic rock and country. I would like a system with good, tight bass so I can reproduce the music without any boominess.

I'd definately want to upgrade the amplifier. I can live with the existing BA speakers for now (I have a 2SS/RS).

Steve, what parts would I need from you to upgrade the amplifier right now?

Also, if I were to upgrade to a subwoofer, what kind would you go with for the type of music I listen to? Can I get a forward firing sub (I never use the back seats) that gives well defined bass? Upgrade the 6x9's?

Right now I just need some clean RMS power/headroom in the power dept. I know I'm clipping the factory amp and want to upgrade.

Any suggestions from you or others would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
sjmorrow
LSC Photographer

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS w/ RS & M6
Steve aint the only one around these parts that knows about car audio! haha.
You will need THIS to replace that factory amp with something better (like an XD400/4, which is what Steve and most others would recommend). This will give you louder / cleaner sound without clipping the amp. It will NOT make your bass response any better. The stock speakers just don't handle low notes very well.

Dont bother upgrading the 6x9s just to get well defined bass. Go with a sub or two. It sounds like you dont want it to hit real hard, jsut sound good, so I would go with THIS. As far as making it sound real right and punchy, this is mostly in how you adjust your crossover and bass boost as long as you get a decent sub and amp.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #3
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmorrow View Post
Steve aint the only one around these parts that knows about car audio! haha.
You will need THIS to replace that factory amp with something better (like an XD400/4, which is what Steve and most others would recommend). This will give you louder / cleaner sound without clipping the amp. It will NOT make your bass response any better. The stock speakers just don't handle low notes very well.

Dont bother upgrading the 6x9s just to get well defined bass. Go with a sub or two. It sounds like you dont want it to hit real hard, jsut sound good, so I would go with THIS. As far as making it sound real right and punchy, this is mostly in how you adjust your crossover and bass boost as long as you get a decent sub and amp.
+1 on the FARK harness, as well as the xd400 for the amp.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
Mud
In Mud We Trust

Thanks, guys. Checking it out now...
-American Racing Torq Thrust/Anthracite
-CAI Intake
Old 03-29-2012, 05:07 PM   #5
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS IOM Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud View Post
I've read your posts and looked at the products...very nice. Just have some questions.

I listen to classic rock and country. I would like a system with good, tight bass so I can reproduce the music without any boominess.

I'd definately want to upgrade the amplifier. I can live with the existing BA speakers for now (I have a 2SS/RS).

Steve, what parts would I need from you to upgrade the amplifier right now?

Also, if I were to upgrade to a subwoofer, what kind would you go with for the type of music I listen to? Can I get a forward firing sub (I never use the back seats) that gives well defined bass? Upgrade the 6x9's?

Right now I just need some clean RMS power/headroom in the power dept. I know I'm clipping the factory amp and want to upgrade.

Any suggestions from you or others would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
The parts you need have been mentioned above. That is: To simply upgrade the stock amp, you need our fark kit, mounting plate, 4 ch. amp, and some power and ground cable. Doing this will give you a much better stereo, but won't add a lot of bass. Some but not a ton. I would recommend an amp small enough to fit in the factory spot so you won't have to find an alternate location. I carry the Polk pad40004 class d 4 channel and it works very well in that location.

Now if you want to add a sub from there, you would need a box, sub(s) and wiring kit. The harness mentioned above will give you the input signal since it will supply multiple amps. What you need to decide on is how much bass you want. That is not something I can answer for you. You should know yourself well enough to answer that. Once you decide on that, then we can help you select the rest of the equipment to finish out the system. Then once you are done, if you decide to replace any of the speakers, we have some really nice Hybrid Audio speaker kits that will make your system sound even better. But I would save that for very last.

Last edited by Steve@Subthump; 03-29-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Steve@Subthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:09 PM   #6
Mud
In Mud We Trust

I really want to upgrade the stock amp. I'll check out that Polk, too.

edit: I can't find the Polk amp, on your site or in google. Polk pad4004, right?
-CAI Intake
Old 03-29-2012, 05:15 PM   #7
Mud
In Mud We Trust

Is it this: Polk/MOMO C400.4
-CAI Intake
Old 04-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #8