Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-18-2012, 01:44 PM   #1
Mud
In Mud We Trust

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Eibach Wheel spacers

Looking at various ways to get 18's on my SS and keep the brembos.

Saw Eibach makes hubcentric, high quality aluminum spacer. Has anyone done this? It will give it 25mm of space. Is that enough to clear the brembos with most wheels?

Thanks.

Bolt Pattern 5x120.65
Hub Center 66.5mm
Spacer 15, 20, 25, 30 mm

-American Racing Torq Thrust/Anthracite
-CAI Intake
Mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #2
FEN

Drives: BLACK 2SS/RS
Not sure what you will need (depends on the wheel) but keep in mind that the stock wheel studs will probably protrude thru the adapter and the new 18" wheels will need reliefs in the back so they will mate up properly.
Eibach 1" Pro Spring Kit
Factory GFX
MPD1 spoiler
painted bowties
15% tint
FEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:44 PM   #3
Mud
In Mud We Trust

Thanks for the tip, Fen. I really want to keep the brembos but have a selection of 18" wheels to choose from and it appears that this is the only way I can do it.
-CAI Intake
Old 01-19-2012, 01:15 AM   #4
JohnZ

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT V6
will there be enough length on the bolt after the spacer in order to have the lug nuts on safely?

BMR Bushing Inserts,Pedders Radius Rod Inserts, Pfadt Sway Bars and Endlinks, LSR Front Subframe Brace

SS Brembo Brakes, Racing Brake Stainless Lines
JohnZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:06 AM   #5
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
If you look at the pictures, the spacer bolts to the wheel hub just like the wheel. Then the wheel bolts to the spacer. IMO this is the only safe spacer to use because of the way it is designed.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:00 PM   #6
Mud
In Mud We Trust

Yes, these are specific spacers designed to fit specific cars. The 2010 Camaro has its own hubcentric spacer made by Eibach.

They are not cheap, Over $100 each but I'm going this direction because there are only a handful of 18" wheels that will fit the SS brembo calipers. And I don't really care for the style of the 18's that do fit.

Going to get these and get the 18's I want. I've waited long enough. Don't like 20" wheels, never have, never will.
-CAI Intake
Old 01-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #7
GlennP

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
How would the stock studs fit behind the wheel? Especially if you use a small spacer like 15mm?
GlennP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:04 PM   #8
FEN

Drives: BLACK 2SS/RS
The wheels need reliefs on the backside to accomidate the protruding factory studs.
Eibach 1" Pro Spring Kit
Factory GFX
MPD1 spoiler
painted bowties
15% tint
FEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #9
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
If i remember correctly you want a deep dish look. That means low offset wheels, which means if you add a spacer you might end up with wheels that look like this.

SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:19 AM   #10
Mud
In Mud We Trust

Indeed, that's why I have to do some research with these. Since they make them in various widths, I will have to determine 1) the wheels I will use, 2) the proper width of spacer that will work well with that wheel so it doesn't look like the photo above.

I'm still considering the Drift-R 19" wheels but they have not been 100% confirmed they will fit the SS brembos.

Of course, if I had a few 18" wheels to choose from that fit the brembos, I wouldn't be going through all this, but, noooooooo...

And you're right sux2bu, I do want some deeper dish wheels. I can't emphasize enough the dislike I have for wheels where the spokes meet the outer edge of the wheel. In a 20", anyway. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

But I digress, I want 18" wheels for my SS. I will do this come hell or high water if I have to build one myself.

Spacers are one way to attempt to tackle the issue. I just wish more manufacturers made 18's that fit these calipers. But perhaps I'm in the minority as one who wants an 18", wide lipped musclecar wheel. I don't care for the eurolook mesh wheels. And I certainly don't care for the stock 20's that are OE. Anthing over that... in my opinion.

The best one I've seen at a reasonable price is the Drift-R wheel. If I KNOW that the 19" will fit, I'll consider those even though I'll have to buy new tires.

I'd prefer to put something like the AR Torq Thrusts in an 18" These brakes are very nice, I don't want to downgrade.

Back in the day, we all had wide tires extending past the rear fender lip of the car. In fact, that's the look you wanted!
-CAI Intake
Old 01-20-2012, 11:02 AM   #11
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud View Post
Indeed, that's why I have to do some research with these. Since they make them in various widths, I will have to determine 1) the wheels I will use, 2) the proper width of spacer that will work well with that wheel so it doesn't look like the photo above.

I'm still considering the Drift-R 19" wheels but they have not been 100% confirmed they will fit the SS brembos.

Of course, if I had a few 18" wheels to choose from that fit the brembos, I wouldn't be going through all this, but, noooooooo...

And you're right sux2bu, I do want some deeper dish wheels. I can't emphasize enough the dislike I have for wheels where the spokes meet the outer edge of the wheel. In a 20", anyway. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

But I digress, I want 18" wheels for my SS. I will do this come hell or high water if I have to build one myself.

Spacers are one way to attempt to tackle the issue. I just wish more manufacturers made 18's that fit these calipers. But perhaps I'm in the minority as one who wants an 18", wide lipped musclecar wheel. I don't care for the eurolook mesh wheels. And I certainly don't care for the stock 20's that are OE. Anthing over that... in my opinion.

The best one I've seen at a reasonable price is the Drift-R wheel. If I KNOW that the 19" will fit, I'll consider those even though I'll have to buy new tires.

I'd prefer to put something like the AR Torq Thrusts in an 18" These brakes are very nice, I don't want to downgrade.

Back in the day, we all had wide tires extending past the rear fender lip of the car. In fact, that's the look you wanted!
One problem is that The camaro uses high offset wheels, the other related problem is that you only have about 2" to work with from the caliper to the outside edge of the wheel on the front. Anything more than that and the wheel WILL stick out. That is why you see all the mesh designs with the spokes going to the edge of the wheel, because that design works great with minimal space. The deep lip look you want is very difficult to achieve with only 2" of depth to work with especially in a diameter that just barely clears the Brembos.

Look at this offset picture. Our cars are like the positive offset wheel on the left. You see how steep the spoke has to curve in to meet the hoop on the wheel? The smaller the wheel diameter the steeper the spoke has to go. Now imaging throwing a giant caliper in there, The spoke now can't go as steep as it should for a deep lip look.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:58 AM   #12
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

My front 18s match up PERFECT with the fender. Any more spacer or lower offset and they would stick out.
I took my front wheel off and did a bunch of measuring. Here is what I came up with. It is a quick sketch of an 18" wheel on the front. All dimensions are very accurate. I didn't draw in what the spokes look like just to show you exactly how much room you don't have to play with. You can play "design my own wheel" and try to draw in something that will clear the front Brembos.

You can see that the deep lip look is impossible on our cars with an 18" wheel and Brembos unless you make a wheel stick out with spacers or a lower offset.

I did have to mess with the image settings so the grid lines would show up. Each little square is 1/2" x 1/2".
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2012, 01:26 PM   #13
Mud
In Mud We Trust

I see your point. I'll look into all this and if a compromise can't be reached with the spacers I'll do one of two things.

a) Go with a wheel like a 19" Drift-R (if they fit, not yet confirmed if the 19's fit these brakes)

b) I'll be forced to downgrade the brakes to the LS version.

Saw the stock wheels on an older 2005-06 or so Mustang GT sitting next to me at a light today. They were absolutely perfect. Very similar to the Torq Thrust but they were factory. I've seen them before.

Granted, he didn't have massive calipers as they weren't on those Mustangs from the factory. But they were beautiful. Perfect balance of tire sidewall and rim size.

245's are plenty of tire for me in the front and rear.

I saw a Camaro the other day with what I think were 22's. Good grief, I wanted to hurl.
-CAI Intake
Old 01-25-2012, 10:51 AM   #14
Group-A Wheels
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS
Give us a call, we can help you. But, call us. It is way easier then emailing, especially when trying to go over information as in depth as this.
Group-A Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote