Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 07-26-2009, 01:04 AM   #29
markssylver

Drives: 95 bbb impala ss
put the housing in the oven to warm up the glue and it will come apart
markssylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:15 PM   #30
Mohrg Beast
TURBO HUNTER!!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro Lt Vin #1974
yeah im going with the green ones..the glue is no problem for me..i was just telling others that havent taken theirs apart yet about the glue..im gonna make my own halos here this week and install them to see how they look..and if they turn out good ima put them on here and if people like them then ima sell them dirt cheap for those on this forum. ive looked everywhere for some and cant find any so ima do them myself and for others that want them..that is if they turn out right.
Mohrg Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:30 PM   #31
Rickscamero

Drives: Infiniti G35 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohrg Beast View Post
WARNING!!!!!
Before you buy Halos for a non RS packaged car you need to take your headlights off and check them..mine WILL NOT come apart. they are glued together and i cant take them apart..im going to buy some replacement glue then try and take them apart.ill keep you guys posted on this upgrade. but im not even gonna start making the halos till i find out if it is safe to take the headlights apart..we took the housing completely out of the car and i was holding just the housing, without the light. and like i said it was completely glued up. so it may not even come apart. if not that means for us non RS owners well have to pay the mega bucks for the lights that come apart just to take out their halos that we are paying for to replace them with halos that HEY we just paid more money for..LOL...ILL keep you guys posted on if i can take em apart or not and how annoying it was to do so.
You have to bake the headlights to take them apart - just make sure that when your baking them, they are not touching any of the walls inside the oven otherwise you can warp the headlight..
Rickscamero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:32 PM   #32
Evil_SS
Kitt's in my driveway

Drives: 08 Silverado ltz,84 T/A
Here is a tut on it.Well it's really for truck headlights but it should work the same to open and reseal them.

Opening and resealing
Evil_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:05 PM   #33
daphatgrant
June '10

Drives: '10 2SS/RS RJT
I'm pretty new to all of this but what I got from the above post is that headlights on the RS are made to come apart? Therefore changing the Halo's is much easier? I'd love to eventually swap them out to orange and put them on a switch.
daphatgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:25 PM   #34
Rtoups

Drives: RJT 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by daphatgrant View Post
I'm pretty new to all of this but what I got from the above post is that headlights on the RS are made to come apart? Therefore changing the Halo's is much easier? I'd love to eventually swap them out to orange and put them on a switch.
Pretty much any headlight housing on any car can be opened with the direct application of heat.

What they are saying is that it is much easier to put new Halo lights in the RS because the wiring is all there. I assume you simply have to put in a new LED of whatever color you want.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:43 PM   #35
daphatgrant
June '10

Drives: '10 2SS/RS RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtoups View Post
Pretty much any headlight housing on any car can be opened with the direct application of heat.

What they are saying is that it is much easier to put new Halo lights in the RS because the wiring is all there. I assume you simply have to put in a new LED of whatever color you want.
Gotcha, thanks for the info. I was hoping that the RS would have a "easy" open housing . Anyways, I'll look into opening them more and also look at wiring diagrams to figure out how I'm going to do the dash mounted toggle to turn the halos on and off.
daphatgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:41 AM   #36
Jericho
Come see me.

Drives: Chevrolet Line-up
Send a message via Yahoo to Jericho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hot SS View Post
To add on to this, if you spend just a little extra (about $1100), you get the halos, color molding, darker tailights, and a neat little badge.

Its this special package that Chevy offers to the most exclusive of exclusive VIPs. Not many people know about it.

I forgot the name though.
A name would really be helpful with this info.

Quote:
yeah i watched the best diy video on youtube..i may start making halos for our cars and if they turn out as good as the guys on the video ima start selling them in all colors and styles for 10 camaros dirt cheap just to help those who want to modify their cars..
You got a link to this vid Mohrg?

Quote:
WARNING!!!!!
Before you buy Halos for a non RS packaged car you need to take your headlights off and check them..mine WILL NOT come apart. they are glued together and i cant take them apart..im going to buy some replacement glue then try and take them apart.ill keep you guys posted on this upgrade. but im not even gonna start making the halos till i find out if it is safe to take the headlights apart..we took the housing completely out of the car and i was holding just the housing, without the light. and like i said it was completely glued up. so it may not even come apart. if not that means for us non RS owners well have to pay the mega bucks for the lights that come apart just to take out their halos that we are paying for to replace them with halos that HEY we just paid more money for..LOL...ILL keep you guys posted on if i can take em apart or not and how annoying it was to do so.
Good lookin' out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_SS View Post
Here is a tut on it.Well it's really for truck headlights but it should work the same to open and reseal them.

Opening and resealing
This looks very doable and safe.
Vin#30271
Jericho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:59 AM   #37
Rtoups

I think the hardest part will be installing the Halos into the non RS car, not making the Halos themselves. Also, the stock halogen bulb will have to be changed to match the RS cars.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:16 AM   #38
Jericho
Come see me.

Drives: Chevrolet Line-up
Send a message via Yahoo to Jericho
Not really, if you want a change just get some HID's.
Vin#30271
Jericho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:23 AM   #39
Rickscamero

Drives: Infiniti G35 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by AACstyle View Post
Would you mind sharing how you plan on "making" the halos? We have to put thousands of $ into moulds for each 4 layer PCB Halo design we come up with. Each of our rings has over 90 high powered SMD LEDs electronically soldered in series onto the PCB within a 1mm tolerance of each other. This is not a DIY type project, but I dont want to deter you from trying... just wondring what you are planning to make...
Presumably....

Rickscamero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:29 AM   #40
Evil_SS
Kitt's in my driveway

Drives: 08 Silverado ltz,84 T/A
The more info the better
Evil_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:18 AM   #41
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by AACstyle View Post
Here is a quick side-by-side comparison of our rings next to a stock camaro ring. You can see not only is the ORACLE ring about 12 times brighter it has a cooler hue and a more consistent illumination.

I am impressed you got the stock halo out. Did the lamp survive?

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:40 AM   #42
Rtoups

AACstyle, that is a good looking light. However, many people want the Halos to match the stock Camaro ones, with the top and bottoms blacked out. Are you planning to do this for the Camaro?