Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 01-29-2015, 02:00 PM   #1
NJScorpio

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LT Hyper Blue Metallic
Question about those manual transmissions...

I've owned a 5 speed manual transmission, but it was in a sub compact, not a performance car. So I know how to drive one, I understand the concepts, and I get in what ways it can allow for greater driver control.

So now that we got that out of the way...

My question is for the older drivers here, or those familiar with older vehicles....how does the advent of 6+ speed manual transmissions impact driving compared to the 3 speed manuals of yesteryear?

On one hand, it seems like 5th gear+ is all overdrive, designed for high MPG numbers at highway speeds...but how does that impact all the shift points? Do you spend less time shifting in a 3 speed? Or does it make no difference because those added gears are typically higher?

I ask because there are many "traditionalists" who say that manual is the way to go, all the time, no matter what, in any car that is at all to be considered performance oriented. I'm not debating that claim. But I'm wondering if that mindset was developed starting with older cars, with less gears, resulting in more time spent utilizing each gear's power band (and less time shifting).

NJScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 02:09 PM   #2
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
I'm hoping the 6 Gen has a '6' on the tree

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 02:12 PM   #3
hot_rod

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
5th & 6th, think overdrive......

"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

"Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Unknown
hot_rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 02:16 PM   #4
snymat68

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray 1LS M6
The V6's have the Aisin AY6 trannys. With those, 5th is 1:1 and 6th is overdrive.
The V8's have the Tremec TR6060 trannys. With those, 4th is 1:1 and 5 & 6 are both overdrives.

I have a V6 (for now) and don't spend much time in 1st. Second really starts to pull. Jump to third pretty quick, then I usually just go straight to 5th for cruising the secondary roads. I keep 6th for the highway as the V6 doesn't have the torque to lug along in 6th on secondary roads, usually. Even the V6 has no problem pulling out in 2nd, which is what I tend to use when the roads are bad in the winter.

I can't speak for the V8's but I'd imagine it would be similar, just with loads more torque at the ready.
Elite Catch Can | CAI Intake with Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | MRT v2 Axle-Back Exhaust | MagnaFlow Resonated X-Pipe | Resonator Delete | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | GM Strut Tower Brace | JDP Tow Hook | Vitesse Throttle Controller
Aesthetic Mods
Chrome Peek-A-Boo Door Handles | Interior Accessories Kit | OEM RS HIDs w/ 6000k Bulbs & 5000k LED Fogs | Tail Light, Marker Light, & Turn Signal Tint | Tru-Sequence Sequential Turn Signals & Brake Lights | Silver Fade Gill Stripes | Carbon Fiber Bowties | Various Chrome/Painted/Carbon Fiber Items
snymat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 02:19 PM   #5
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
I hit 140mph in 5th gear the other day....
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 02:21 PM   #6
gMcizzLe

Drives: 2014 2SS RS LS3
In the SS, 5th is overdrive and 6th is double overdrive. 4th gear is 1:1. I'm not that old and this is my first manual, so I'm not sure how it compares to old school stuff. My guess is that all the gears are typically shorter than an old school 3 or 4 speed though.

Mods:
CAI Inc. CAI
Elite Engineering Catch Can
gMcizzLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 02:26 PM   #7
NJScorpio

Hmm, thanks for the informative posts guys...I thought that in both the V6 & V8, 4th was 1:1. I tend to drop into 4th at highway speeds (65mph+) for passing speed.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:36 PM   #8
thegreatwhite

Drives: 2014 SS
what do you guys prefer for quickest launching and accelerating from starting at say 0-15mph. i know 1st is good from a stop but my car likes to slide around in the back once i get to the top of the rpm in 1st. to me 2nd feels like it has almost just as much torque at this low of speed, i guess i can go do some more testing lol but im still curious what other experienced drivers think. im driving a 14 2ss/rs LS3
thegreatwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 02:54 PM   #9
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
In my car which is a 1LE so the trans gearing for 1-3 is a little different I essentially feel and treat it like a 4 speed. She will still pull in fifth at higher speeds but 5 and 6 are essentially to get the rpm's down to save gas.

Seriously think 1000 rpm at 40 mph.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-2015, 03:08 PM   #10
NJScorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
Try 3rd. You should blow into triple 1s before you can think.
I use 3rd on the on ramps...never tried to see how far I can push it in 3rd...now I want to on the way home

EDIT: I saw your post in this thread here where you posted a screen shot of the top speeds for each gear...would you happen to know where I could find that for a 2LS?
Old 01-29-2015, 03:09 PM   #11
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
In my car which is a 1LE so the trans gearing for 1-3 is a little different I essentially feel and treat it like a 4 speed. She will still pull in fifth at higher speeds but 5 and 6 are essentially to get the rpm's down to save gas.

Seriously think 1000 rpm at 40 mph.

For what its worth, first, fifth and sixth in a 1LE and a standard SS are almost identical rations. Second through fourth is the difference.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 03:11 PM   #12
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
For what its worth, first, fifth and sixth in a 1LE and a standard SS are almost identical rations. Second through fourth is the difference.
4th is still 1:1 I was thinking about it after I wrote that I think it might just be 2 and 3... IDK honestly. I should probably look into it just to know.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:35 PM   #13
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
4th is still 1:1 I was thinking about it after I wrote that I think it might just be 2 and 3... IDK honestly. I should probably look into it just to know.

Your right, fourth is 1:1 in both, just the different rear ends. I will say that as soon as I can without lugging the engine, I am going to a high gear for fuel economy. If I am playing, I will use the first four primarily as you stated. When you watch the videos of 1LE's at the track, it seems it is primarily 2, 3 and 4, and 5 every so often.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 03:41 PM   #14
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
I've owned a 5 speed manual transmission, but it was in a sub compact, not a performance car. So I know how to drive one, I understand the concepts, and I get in what ways it can allow for greater driver control.

So now that we got that out of the way...

My question is for the older drivers here, or those familiar with older vehicles....how does the advent of 6+ speed manual transmissions impact driving compared to the 3 speed manuals of yesteryear?

On one hand, it seems like 5th gear+ is all overdrive, designed for high MPG numbers at highway speeds...but how does that impact all the shift points? Do you spend less time shifting in a 3 speed? Or does it make no difference because those added gears are typically higher?

I ask because there are many "traditionalists" who say that manual is the way to go, all the time, no matter what, in any car that is at all to be considered performance oriented. I'm not debating that claim. But I'm wondering if that mindset was developed starting with older cars, with less gears, resulting in more time spent utilizing each gear's power band (and less time shifting).

It developed for the reason you stated. Some of that truth has changed today with the development of electronically controlled automatics and DCT's (and number of gears), but manuals historically had more gears than automatics, with tighter ratios, allowing the driver to better keep an engine in its power-band over a changing course. Engine technology was a lot more basic back then. Automatic transmission technology was really basic too. In the days of the 3-speed manual, there were 2-speed automatics!

Electronically controlled automatics in passenger cars only became a thing about 25 years ago, and it wasn't until the last 10-15 years when automatics really started becoming interesting (IMHO). Things like DCT's, hydraulic automatics that rev-match, different shift programs, electronic line locking, launch control, and shifting speeds that cannot be out shifted by even the most skilled drivers. Skip-shifting is much improved, but not perfect.

There are people like myself that will be holding onto a manual gear shift lever until the day I die... I find them more fun to drive, I like them better off-road, so I stand here to say to all the pro-automatic people, "get off my lawn!" It's what I prefer, not what is always better, but I think we the "traditionalists" still have a very valid point. It's been about the greater number of gears, and now that the tables have flipped in that regard, it's still about driver control.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote