Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-24-2015, 01:52 PM   #1
Flashpoint135

Drives: 2016 SS
OnStar funny fail

Short summary of a long funny OnStar mess (wife's vehicle):

OnStar stops working. It won't connect to OnStar no matter what button I push (just beeps, never connects).

Call OnStar on cell phone, explain it, they have me push all the buttons on the mirror, etc., go through all that twice on different calls to Customer Service. They finally tell me I have to take it in to the dealer.

Dealer runs all the diagnostics, checks wires, etc and tells me the whole Module needs to be replaced which will cost me hundreds of dollars. Nope, not doing that.

Call OnStar on cell phone to cancel. They are very understanding but have to read me a paragraph about the functionality I'm losing by cancelling, which of course I've already lost because the hardware is broken. I interrupt to point that out and the rep takes it well.

Weeks later I get an email from OnStar saying my OnStar has been cancelled but they are having trouble disabling my hardware and could I please get in the car and push the blue button to connect to an advisor and .... etc. The email is signed by the COO.

So since obviously I can't do that, I call the OnStar number per the email if I have questions (mostly just for fun now). I tell the first advisor to read the extensive notes on my account about the hardware being broken and that I therefor can't comply with the email to push the blue button so they can disable my hardware that is already broken. This is too much for him so he transfers me to tech support.

I explain it to the tech support lady, she sounds like she gets it but doesn't know what to do. I suggest she indicate on their system somewhere that the hardware is already disabled so they stop trying to disable it and so they stop sending me emails about trying to disable my broken hardware. She has to put me on hold for awhile.

Returning from hold, she says she is changing some setting on my account so I no longer receive emails from OnStar about that account. Then she ask me if I also want to stop receiving OnStar in-vehicle messages about reactivating. ??? So I ask for clarification - does she mean OnStar phone calls to my vehicle with the broken hardware that won't connect to OnStar or send or receive any calls? Why yes, that exactly what she meant. Surprisingly, I don't care.

The thing is, I like the OnStar personal calling, navigation, vehicle locate, and hopefully never-to-be-used accident response functionality, but dislike other aspects and can completely understand why people hate it. I feel like it could have been a great product if implemented correctly.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:58 PM   #2
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
You are a far more patient man than I... when I am dealing with them (or Sirius XM, or Verizon Wireless, or fill- in- the- blank- with- almost- any- company), I lose my cool after dealing with and dealing with and dealing with and dealing with utter nonsense... the intellectual void exhibited by 95% of the "Customer Service Representatives" (Damn... that is HARD to even type with a straight face) just sucks the life, and the politeness, right out of me in big, whooshing, disgusted hurricane of my best swear words.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:05 PM   #3
Cam_Cam

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS
The problem with reaming out customer service people is that all it does is make them ignore you or help you less, and in turn makes you more frustrated.

Most of the people in customer service call centers are set up with inadequate technology, poor training, lack of authority, etc. Yelling at them probably just makes them hate a job they already hate even more.

Patience is all relative. 100 years ago it would take weeks to travel across the country and half the people you were with would die of disease. Today you can call someone from your couch and get angry with them if your problem isn't fixed in two minutes.

Edit: By the way, that really sucks about your OnStar. I know the OnStar people are very focused on customer service... I just wish knew someone I could send you to.
Cam_Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:08 PM   #4
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
The only company I've completely lost my mind dealing with was AT&T voice services and being put through their automated attendant. 5 minutes to get nowhere and literally screaming responses into the phone... it infuriated me even more when dropping a string of F-bombs returned "I didn't understand that. Please try again"

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:10 PM   #5
Cam_Cam

Most of the time, if you get an automated system, just slam the 0 key until it connects you to a real person. Very rarely this will cause some systems to hang up on you, but for the most part, it gets you right to a person. I never use those automated systems.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:10 PM   #6
Splitter
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 RRM 1LT/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post
You are a far more patient man than I... when I am dealing with them (or Sirius XM, or Verizon Wireless, or fill- in- the- blank- with- almost- any- company), I lose my cool after dealing with and dealing with and dealing with and dealing with utter nonsense... the intellectual void exhibited by 95% of the "Customer Service Representatives" (Damn... that is HARD to even type with a straight face) just sucks the life, and the politeness, right out of me in big, whooshing, disgusted hurricane of my best swear words.
I deal with very short fused customers like you all the time.

Generally the frustration comes from the user simply not understanding the problem. Then when I try to explain the problem, using as dumbed down language as I possibly could, they get more confused and more angry. Which doesn't help either person resolve the problem. Hell, 99% of the time the problem is the user's fault. But we can't tell you that.

Sounds like a hardware problem w/ the local unit in the Camaro. No fault of the user this time. GM should replace the unit free of charge, IMO. You're paying for a service. Its like if your Comcast cable box wasn't working. Comcast wouldn't charge you to replace it, they just would replace it.
Splitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:15 PM   #7
Cam_Cam

Hey Flash, what's the make and model year of your wifes car?
Old 02-24-2015, 02:20 PM   #8
Flashpoint135

Drives: 2016 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam_Cam View Post
Hey Flash, what's the make and model year of your wifes car?
2008 Chevy Trailblazer.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:25 PM   #9
psm3234

Drives: 2016 2SS hyper blue metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter View Post

Generally the frustration comes from the user simply not understanding the problem. Then when I try to explain the problem, using as dumbed down language as I possibly could, they get more confused and more angry. Which doesn't help either person resolve the problem. Hell, 99% of the time the problem is the user's fault. But we can't tell you that.

Sounds like a hardware problem w/ the local unit in the Camaro. No fault of the user this time. GM should replace the unit free of charge, IMO. You're paying for a service. Its like if your Comcast cable box wasn't working. Comcast wouldn't charge you to replace it, they just would replace it.
directv actually tried to get me to pay to replace box. I said.."i rent this box from you correct??" they answered yes. I said "then why would I pay for you to replce your box?" . they sent me a free box.
psm3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:33 PM   #10
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Quote:

My short fuse only gets ignited when I'm treated like shit. "Can I put you on hold?" Sure, I'll reply politely.

After two hours (Yes, Verizon wireless has done this multiple times, even up to three hours on occasion) of the occasional, "We'll be right with you, please continue to hold!" my fuse is lit.

Or, say, with Sirius XM: "I've been offered the program in which the 'connection fee' has been waived, so I'd like to accept that offer."

"I'm sorry, sir, we'll still need to charge you the fee."

"But, my offer waives that fee..."

"That is correct, sir... the fee has been waived, but we will still need to charge you the fee, and you will need to pay it."

"So.. you are telling me that the fee has been waived, and I do not need to pay it... but I still need to pay the fee?"

"Yes, that is correct."

Or, the cable company: "We'll be there between 8AM and 5PM on Monday."

So, I take the day off work.... to receive a phone call at 4:55PM telling me that, dang it, not gonna make it. But, we'll do it tomorrow.

So I take another day off work. Same thing again on Tuesday: 4:55 PM phone call. Try again tomorrow.

So I take another day off work... at 4:55 on Wednesday, the guy shows up. These are the things that piss me off.

Or, Vonage: Three months--- THREE months--- I pay for Vonage (they "automatically" deduct it from my bank account... back before I figured out THAT little scam), and Vonage does not work. At all. I have no home phone. None. They can't figure it out. They can't fix it. Even their tech can't fix it. They won't stop billing me, though... because, well, it's automatic. Sorry, sir.

Or, Charter Cable, when the picture was not available using their new digital boxes... the service rep from India was PRETTY sure that I simply did not have my TV plugged into the wall... and there wasn't any convincing her otherwise. THAT was the problem, and she knew it. There really wasn't any other way of explaining why there was no picture, so THAT was the answer. End of story.

These are the things that my "short fuse" gets lit up over. It would have gotten lit up with OnStar, had I been in the OP's position, if OnStar had continued that inanity. Not the customer's fault, not the customer doing anything wrong... OnStar unable to grasp that concept that his hardware had failed, and would not connect. Simple concept: But OnStar couldn't grasp it. So, yeah... I would have been shorter- fused than the OP, thanks to the fact that I have experienced this WAY too many times.

I could really go on all day long. Sure, Comcast and Sprint and Verizon and Time Warner have really good reputations for treating their customers well, but my experience has rather jaded me.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:34 PM   #11
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:

Except when the problem is actually the company/service/ not the user's fault. Seems impossible to get a single person off-script that can diagnose and solve the issue. This is probably a local hardware issue, but there should be a process for canceling service when the unit is non-functional and can't "phone home" to complete the deactivation. This scenario should be in the knowledge base / help text / whatever for the call center employee to look up.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:40 PM   #12
gpskinzhut

Quote:
Most of the time, if you get an automated system, just slam the 0 key until it connects you to a real person. Very rarely this will cause some systems to hang up on you, but for the most part, it gets you right to a person. I never use those automated systems.
Believe me, that's typically my first key punch "That option is not valid. Please select from the following options:" AT&T is the only one that's truly maddened me to that point. I haven't had to call their service line in about 2 years though so knock on wood.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
Old 02-24-2015, 02:44 PM   #13
Cam_Cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpskinzhut View Post
Believe me, that's typically my first key punch "That option is not valid. Please select from the following options:" AT&T is the only one that's truly maddened me to that point. I haven't had to call their service line in about 2 years though so knock on wood.
Oh no sir, you don't just do one key punch. If I get an automated system, I hit it about 20 times right away. The system will get confused for a minute and either hang up, or send you to a person. If it responds with "please use the automated system" or whatever, I just repeat.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:49 PM   #14
gpskinzhut

Quote:
Oh no sir, you don't just do one key punch. If I get an automated system, I hit it about 20 times right away. The system will get confused for a minute and either hang up, or send you to a person. If it responds with "please use the automated system" or whatever, I just repeat.
I'm going to remember that. The other one I like is getting through the system "now transferring you" and hangs up

2017 ZL1 A10