Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 06-17-2020, 07:12 PM   #1
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Anyone here run at gateway in st.louis?

I'm thinking I'd like to take my car up to gateway and try out this road course racing thing maybe later this year. I've been involved in drag racing forever and have no clue where to even start in these type of events. Looking for advise and pointers as I'm completely lost right now on what's what..... literally. Here's the remaining schedule for this year.

https://www.wwtraceway.com/ovaltrackroadcourse/
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 01:39 PM   #2
Silveradoss573

Should a person start with autocross events before a track day event? What about the skip barber racing school? I'll start looking at trailers in the near future. Unfortunately, mid Missouri doesn't have squat in terms of racing. So the nearest track for myself is gateway a little over 2 hrs away.
Old 06-18-2020, 05:17 PM   #3
SS Performance

Drives: 02 Camaro B4C
Go with a track day. Many organizations start you out with a coach. I did a AutoX first and felt a bit lost. I then started doing track days with NASA & Chin Motorsports and loved it. Nothing beats have an experienced driver in the car with you.

1969 Camaro SS
1970 Camaro SS
2002 Camaro B4C
2014 Camaro SS Dedicated Track Car
2015 Camaro 1SS 1LE
2008 HHR SS
1996 Silverado Crew Cab Long Bed Dual Rear Wheel
SS Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 05:26 PM   #4
Silveradoss573

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Performance View Post
Go with a track day. Many organizations start you out with a coach. I did a AutoX first and felt a bit lost. I then started doing track days with NASA & Chin Motorsports and loved it. Nothing beats have an experienced driver in the car with you.
Thanks. I was leaning towards a track day, but I had seen where experienced drivers that'll help and ride with you at a autocross events too. So I wasn't sure which one would be easier and lower stress to try out.
Old 06-18-2020, 05:42 PM   #5
SS Performance

I prefer the track day. Depending on which organization you go with you 20-30 minute sessions. I also like being on the track with other cars. I like to watch the line they are driving as opposed to the one I think is best. I also like passing and being passed (although passing is the best). Depending on what track you go to and how it is layed out You can get some really nice straightaway speeds.

I found AutoX a bit frantic.

But you should try both and decide for yourself, that's why there is chocolate and vanilla.

1969 Camaro SS
1970 Camaro SS
2002 Camaro B4C
2015 Camaro 1SS 1LE
2008 HHR SS
Old 06-18-2020, 07:28 PM   #6
Silveradoss573

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Performance View Post
I prefer the track day. Depending on which organization you go with you 20-30 minute sessions. I also like being on the track with other cars. I like to watch the line they are driving as opposed to the one I think is best. I also like passing and being passed (although passing is the best). Depending on what track you go to and how it is layed out You can get some really nice straightaway speeds.

I found AutoX a bit frantic.

But you should try both and decide for yourself, that's why there is chocolate and vanilla.
Thank you!
Old 06-19-2020, 11:03 AM   #7
jksynergy

Drives: 11 SW SYNERGY SERIES/14 1SS 1LE
I have run the road course at Gateway a few times. It's a fun course to run. The St Louis SCCA runs what they call a PDX event on various Tuesdays through out the year. Instructors are available for first time drivers, though Covid 19 may cause an issue with that. The other nearest road course is Putnam Park in Indiana. A fantastic place to learn and build up some confidence.
I'm an hour west of STL so I understand the limited availability.

Sent from my SM-T377T using Tapatalk

2014 1SS 1LE. Bama, sporting Red Rock Metallic demon's horns, when we are ready to get naughty and open a can of whoopass! Airaid, Spectre, Xpel,Bowler shifter Peddars, UMI, Ult Perf. Diode Dynamics, JRE Tune, XS Power battery,
Hooker Headers Blackheart exhaust,Powerbrake
InstaGram & Twitter: @jlouie62
FB: hangtimeracing
jksynergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 02:26 PM   #8
Silveradoss573

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksynergy View Post
I have run the road course at Gateway a few times. It's a fun course to run. The St Louis SCCA runs what they call a PDX event on various Tuesdays through out the year. Instructors are available for first time drivers, though Covid 19 may cause an issue with that. The other nearest road course is Putnam Park in Indiana. A fantastic place to learn and build up some confidence.
I'm an hour west of STL so I understand the limited availability.

Thanks! Do you trailer your car to the track? I'm trying to figure out if a enclosed is worth it or just to go with a decked out open aluminum trailer. It looks like at most of these events, all the cars park in designated area with no trailers to be seen?
Old 06-19-2020, 06:07 PM   #9
SS Performance

I use a trailer. It is rare but s**t happens. Last year I put my car into the tire barrier and tor up the front end pretty bad. I had my trailer so getting the car and myself home wasn't an issue.

Another advantage of trailering is I can have my car my car fully track ready when I leave the house.

What trailer to get depends a bit on what you have to pull it with. For most people and only goin to local tracks an open trailer is fine. If you are planning more extended tips you might want an enclosed. If you get an open you might want to look at one with a large tool box (some call it a track box) on the front. This will allow you to carry more stuff and the large box protects the front of the car from any road debris kicked up by the tow vehicle.

Good luck
Craig

1969 Camaro SS
1970 Camaro SS
2002 Camaro B4C
2015 Camaro 1SS 1LE
2008 HHR SS
Old 06-19-2020, 09:20 PM   #10
jksynergy

Drives: 11 SW SYNERGY SERIES/14 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveradoss573 View Post
Thanks! Do you trailer your car to the track? I'm trying to figure out if a enclosed is worth it or just to go with a decked out open aluminum trailer. It looks like at most of these events, all the cars park in designated area with no trailers to be seen?
I do and I don't. Depends on the event and time away from home. For Gateway I usually drive it there. Anything over 3 hours, which is pretty much everything, we trailer. We have done 2 Optima events at NCM and 3 LSFest events in which we drove there, competed and drove home. Makes for a long weekend in some cases. We run a 26' enclosed and that great for weather and spare parts (wheels,tires, etc)

2014 1SS 1LE. Bama, sporting Red Rock Metallic demon's horns, when we are ready to get naughty and open a can of whoopass! Airaid, Spectre, Xpel,Bowler shifter Peddars, UMI, Ult Perf. Diode Dynamics, JRE Tune, XS Power battery,
Hooker Headers Blackheart exhaust,Powerbrake
InstaGram & Twitter: @jlouie62
FB: hangtimeracing
jksynergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 11:37 PM   #11
Captn_epic

Drives: 2014 2ss
Any of you guys still active? Mid Mo... will be doing a few Solo events at gateway to finish off the year since I moved back
Captn_epic is offline   Reply With Quote