Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-30-2015, 10:32 PM   #1
iosigma

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, 1991 Camaro RS
Front Brake pad "Roller skates?"

Okay guys,
I'm looking to replace my pads and rotors on my 2011 SS. When i got websites some of the front pads have the "Roller skates" on the top of the pad and some do not. I imagine these "wheels" on the upper side of the caliper are for vibration dampening or something. However, when I look at some pads online, they don't have these on the pads themselves. I know the a lot of times you'll have generic pis when your buying something online, but I guess I'm a little concerned if my new pads don't have them. Ive been looking at a Powerstop 1 click pad and rotor combo kit from rockauto and some other places ( mostly for the price). Heres a description and a link to the page.

POWER STOP Part # K5603 Z23 Evolution Sport; Incl. 13.99 in. Front & 14.37 in. Rear Silver Zinc Plated Cross-Drilled And Slotted Rotors w/ Z16 Ceramic Scorched Pads; Incl. Hardware Click Info for full list of components.
Front And Rear

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...nid=510&jpid=5

Any input would be welcome. I guess I need to know if the "roller skates" are needed on the from or not.
iosigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:37 PM   #2
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Most people switch to the non roller skate pads to fit 17" wheels.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:36 PM   #3
Vroom_vroom
The gritos pollo!!!

Drives: Like a idiot
Front Brake pad "Roller skates?"

That's the pads that came with my kit from brakemotive.they don't say it in the listing on eBay but they are the pads that they ship with. (280 for all)Awesome set up for the price. I took the grinder to my skates so I could fit em under my wheels. No issues with them after brake, had to drive em for a week then they smoothed out.
o; Slp loud mouth I|maganflow x-pipe|Injen long ram intake
|brembo brake upgrade| russell s.s. lines|2LT polished 19's|billet 5mm spacers|tinted tail lights&markers|pdmi|billet c. can|
'13 Avenger R/T
'77 T/A 6.6;, draining my wallet.
Vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:48 PM   #4
backeddy
Banned

Drives: 2011 Boxster Spyder (best car ever)
LOL, well these roller skates make sure there is NO WAY the pads could come out with the wheels mounted on the car.....
backeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 01:04 AM   #5
Vroom_vroom
The gritos pollo!!!

That's a crock, many of the aftermarket pads don't come with them along with the brembo pads. They where not designed this way from the beginning nor are they on any other car that uses the same set up. They where added for noise reduction. If you can deal with the occasional brake squeal possibility, cut em.
|brembo brake upgrade| russell s.s. lines|2LT polished 19's|billet 5mm spacers|tinted tail lights&markers|pdmi|billet c. can|
'13 Avenger R/T
Old 06-04-2015, 05:23 PM   #6
BLACK67

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
Send a message via MSN to BLACK67
Early cars came from the factory with the weights.
Dynatech LT headers, Hi flow Cats
MBRP 3" 304 stainless X-pipe exhaust
Fastlane true CAI.
Barton shifter
BLACK67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:48 PM   #7
Eli

Drives: 2011 Convertible SS/RS M6
Roller skates were GMs failed attempt to reduce squeal (vibration) in the pad. High Performance brakes squeal especially if you track the car.

Follow this link and it goes into detail about lubing the brake system which would work with or without roller skates on your pads.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189890
Eli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:29 PM   #8
backeddy
Banned

Drives: 2011 Boxster Spyder (best car ever)
I know, I was being funny....they are an attempt at resonant frequency control...FAIL!
backeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:39 AM   #9
Vroom_vroom
The gritos pollo!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by backeddy View Post
I know, I was being funny....they are an attempt at resonant frequency control...FAIL!

Doh! Lack of sleep.....
'13 Avenger R/T
Old 06-26-2019, 12:57 PM   #10
Marty Z

Drives: 2015 Bright Yellow 2LS
I know this is an old thread but I want to resurrect it to ask a question. I have been looking into upgrading my brakes to either the CTS-V calipers or the SS calipers. I can get SS calipers used on ebay for around $400. But I have been hesitant since I would have to upgrade my wheels to 20" first.

So here is my question, I know that the CTS-V calipers will work with 19" wheels but the SS calipers will only work with 20" or bigger because of the "roller skates".

The SS calipers being 4 piston in front instead of 6 piston like the CTS-V, whould they work with the standard 18" wheels WITHOUT the "roller skates"? Has anyone tried this?
Marty Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 11:26 PM   #11
VTSummit
Consistently inconsistent

Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Z View Post
I know this is an old thread but I want to resurrect it to ask a question. I have been looking into upgrading my brakes to either the CTS-V calipers or the SS calipers. I can get SS calipers used on ebay for around $400. But I have been hesitant since I would have to upgrade my wheels to 20" first.

So here is my question, I know that the CTS-V calipers will work with 19" wheels but the SS calipers will only work with 20" or bigger because of the "roller skates".

The SS calipers being 4 piston in front instead of 6 piston like the CTS-V, whould they work with the standard 18" wheels WITHOUT the "roller skates"? Has anyone tried this?
The pads have the roller skates- not the caliper. You can get pads with or without them. The CTS-V 6 pots are bigger than the SS or early CTS 4 pots- none of them are going to fit most 18" wheels, but I hear of some people who had some luck finding something that worked. Usually the back of the wheel spokes hit the side of the caliper more than any other fitment issue. I think Tire Rack has a few 18's they claim fit the SS. I run 19" wheels in the winter from a V6 5th gen and they clear the caliper by 2mm when running a 3mm spacer.

The skates were Brembo's development and wasn't a failure at all. They work. Early SS's had adhesive wheel weights stuck to the caliper to try to stop squeal. Low tech, and didn't work well enough. Brembo designed the skates and they found they not only reduced/eliminated squeal (I've used them for years- not one squeal) but they had a few other unintended benefits. If you don't want skates- don't get 'em. I use them and prefer them.
2015 2LT Ported TB, Ported intake, JACFAB intake spacer, Borla exhaust, IPF 91 tune, Complete 1/LE suspension, Brembo brakes, Goodridge lines, Elite catch can, CAI with Thermo-wrap, 275/40-20 x 10's all around, Z/28 spoiler, GM splitter, Alpine/Polk stereo with AudiControl interface.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:39 AM   #12
ZEN357

Drives: 1991 Z/28 Convertible
I would go with the Power Stop Z26 instead of the Z23. Just my preference.

https://www.jegs.com/c/Brakes-Drivet...29592&sbv=true
ZEN357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:51 PM   #13
lemontwist

Drives: 12 2SS/RS L99,11 2SS/RS LS3totaled
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEN357 View Post
I would go with the Power Stop Z26 instead of the Z23. Just my preference.

https://www.jegs.com/c/Brakes-Drivet...29592&sbv=true
lemontwist is offline   Reply With Quote