Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: What Octane do you use?
87 V6 34 11.93%
89 V6 8 2.81%
92/93 V6 28 9.82%
87 V8 6 2.11%
89 V8 1 0.35%
92/93 V8 172 60.35%
Other 36 12.63%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-13-2014, 05:47 PM   #57
FryZ

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS Synergy Green
We have 93 here, but it's 10% ethanol...I ran that in my H/C/I GTO for years. Last year 2 stations started selling 91 ethanol-free so I use that in the Camaro. These stations sell alot of that 91, all of the classic car guys, boaters, 2-stroke users go there to avoid the ethanol issues.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:27 PM   #58
Rob3D

Drives: Car
Can we please get back to the 103 octane fuel? I really wanna hear more about that!
Rob3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:36 PM   #59
DagoCountyGee

Drives: '15 SS
89 in my v6. I don't care if you guys say it's a waste of money. It's only 10 cents more for a whooping total of $1.20 more over 87. Last time I put 87 I got horrible gas mileage.
DagoCountyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:38 PM   #60
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
this Guy/Girl gets it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowyCamaro View Post

I'm a little confused by this statement above. I'm just reading this whole thread and just wanted to point out that I think you are both right. But what they are saying makes sense, calm down and think about it... if the motor can modify timing to prevent knocking. Why wouldn't GM also add in the ability to advance timing for the people that want to use higher octane? If the car can retard timing then it could most likely advance it, right? Then the car can handle running the cheap stuff for the people that want to save a buck and generate a little bit more power for the people who want to shell out a few extra. Best of both worlds right? Seems like a perfectly plausible argument to me.

Again I don't have extensive research on the subject. But just from reading through this thread I think I understand pretty well. And like you I have lots of experience with motorcycle motors but I learned when it comes to automotive motors it seems like they are capable of a lot more advanced things when it comes to timing since the motorcycle industry isn't exactly as concerned with mileage as the automotive. Just my opinion though

Yes
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:40 PM   #61
SnowyCamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1, 2006 Chevy Equinox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob3D View Post
Can we please get back to the 103 octane fuel? I really wanna hear more about that!

http://www.vpracingfuels.com/

I don't know about cars, but when I run av gas in my dirtbikes the exhaust seems to smell pretty cool
Old 02-13-2014, 09:27 PM   #62
Bagsby

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
I try to run ethanol free 93. But never run under 93.
Bagsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:47 PM   #63
chain777

Drives: Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowyCamaro View Post

I'm a little confused by this statement above. I'm just reading this whole thread and just wanted to point out that I think you are both right. But what they are saying makes sense, calm down and think about it... if the motor can modify timing to prevent knocking. Why wouldn't GM also add in the ability to advance timing for the people that want to use higher octane? If the car can retard timing then it could most likely advance it, right? Then the car can handle running the cheap stuff for the people that want to save a buck and generate a little bit more power for the people who want to shell out a few extra. Best of both worlds right? Seems like a perfectly plausible argument to me.

Again I don't have extensive research on the subject. But just from reading through this thread I think I understand pretty well. And like you I have lots of experience with motorcycle motors but I learned when it comes to automotive motors it seems like they are capable of a lot more advanced things when it comes to timing since the motorcycle industry isn't exactly as concerned with mileage as the automotive. Just my opinion though
On the engines designed to run on high octane (the V8's), they definitely retard the timing and reduce the power when using lower octane fuel than GM recommends. But I've never seen anything in the GM manuals stating the V6's gain any power by using higher octane fuel.

Has anyone ever put a V6 on the dyno and done back to back pulls showing a power increase by switching from the recommended 87 octane to something higher?
chain777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:05 PM   #64
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by chain777 View Post
On the engines designed to run on high octane (the V8's), they definitely retard the timing and reduce the power when using lower octane fuel than GM recommends. But I've never seen anything in the GM manuals stating the V6's gain any power by using higher octane fuel.

Has anyone ever put a V6 on the dyno and done back to back pulls showing a power increase by switching from the recommended 87 octane to something higher?
I've never seen a dyno pull as you mention it, but some relief may be found in the variable quality of gasoline's found at different locations...

Not all fuels are blended equally... A car may ping with 91 octane from one station, and not from another...

Power may be felt or perceived if some of the fuel used was sketchy and the car was pulling a degree or two of timing... without the driver realizing it... thinking all is well... Then change stations or octane ratings and for some reason and over a couple of days or weeks the car feels more responsive... The car may have just gone back to a condition of not pulling any timing to prevent detonation... It will pull timing instantly.. but it will not necessarily give it back that quickly...

The software is written so that over a period of time, if no knock is detected it will slowly revert back to the higher octane spark tables...

This is the advantage of a fuse pull on the V-8 Camaros... I'll have to defer to others as to whether or not there is a similar procedure on the V-6 Camaros... GGG would know...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:19 PM   #65
phntmss

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
V8- 91 or better
Old 02-14-2014, 02:36 AM   #66
ChevyShark10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT "Desi" (CGM/black)
I always use 93 octane from Shell for my V6. I've tried all fuel grades and 93 is definitely the best although not a crazy huge difference. I've just noticed the exhaust pops a little more when idling and 91/93 seems to last me an extra day or two. Plus I think it burns a little cleaner. I'm content spending an extra couple of bucks for premium... it's not much more expensive anyway.
ChevyShark10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:15 AM   #67
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
That was a good debate - but it was getting off topic for the thread
Voted other 91 no E
Old 02-14-2014, 06:45 AM   #68
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
I switched to 93 Oct. within 4 months of having bought my 'vert. It certainly gives my V6 much better get-up-and-go performance than the 87 Oct. ever did.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote