Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-02-2021, 10:33 AM   #1
102SSRSLS3

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Smile LS3 Borla S-Type

First post here (I've lurked for quite a while):

This summer I bought a relatively low-mileage 2010 2SS LS3 bone stock with the exception of no mufflers (straight pipes from the axle back - all other factory exhaust components in place). It sounded great, but with a slight drone at around 1,600 RPM. It's a daily driver on a four-lane commute, so this is where I live most of the time (6th gear, 68-ish mph).

To rid myself of the slight drone, I had Borla S-Type mufflers installed (again, axle back). Sounded great when I picked it up and drove through town. When I got on the highway, however, the drone at speed was actually worse!

I called the shop to make sure he didn't remove the resonators (he's fond of doing that, after all) - nope, just installed the S-Types.

I've ordered a set of Borla Touring (axle-back) from RPI. Any thoughts / opinions on whether this will thin the drone? The wife and I'd love to vacation in this car, but that drone!

One other comment on the S-Types: they sound fantastic at any RPM other than the 1,500 - 1,750 range. The entire exhaust note dropped an octave or two over the no-muffler setup and they're ever so slightly quieter (except as noted). And those tips!

Last edited by 102SSRSLS3; 12-20-2021 at 12:50 PM.
102SSRSLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 02:02 PM   #2
Ponchonutty

Drives: 2012 SS L99 Converible
I had my car straight piped with x pipe, shorty headers, and solo cats. Sounded great with little drone with flowmaster axel backs. Then came the cam upgrade and the drone would make your ears bleed. Installed Solo performance j-pipe axel backs. It’s louder on the outside but zero drone inside
Old 12-02-2021, 02:58 PM   #3
102SSRSLS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponchonutty View Post
I had my car straight piped with x pipe, shorty headers, and solo cats. Sounded great with little drone with flowmaster axel backs. Then came the cam upgrade and the drone would make your ears bleed. Installed Solo performance j-pipe axel backs. It’s louder on the outside but zero drone inside
Hadn't seen those. Looks like a great (acoustic) approach. Am I correct in understanding these run without (in place of) mufflers?
Old 12-02-2021, 07:26 PM   #4
SSJ2

Drives: 2010 2SS CAMARO
Long tube headers , hi flo cats straight pipe all the way back. Tons of drone that was almost unbearable for long periods. Had a local exhaust shop put on adjustable jpipes and have zero drone now. They really work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BBK Long tube headers, Hi flo cats, straight pipe muffler delete with j-pipes. K+N CAI, Soler Performance Ported Throttle Body, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Phantom Grill, MGW flatstick shifter. 3.91 Gears, Ported Rod Mod Intake, ZTA Spoiler, Rohana RC22 20x10 20x11.
SSJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 11:36 AM   #5
102SSRSLS3

I ordered my S-Types in September and finally got them in November. RPI tried to cancel the Touring axle-back I had ordered but Borla had already shipped on the second day! We're trying to get all of that reversed...

I have contacted Solo about the possibility of buying J-pipes separately. I really like the difference the S-Types made in the exhaust tone (much lower and deeper). If I can add the J-pipes and get rid of the drone, it seems the best scenario.
Old 12-03-2021, 02:16 PM   #6
SSkat

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I had a S type catback before my Atak catback and the s type drones a lot more. S types have a great sound though.
SSkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 10:00 AM   #7
Ponchonutty

Drives: 2012 SS L99 Converible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 102SSRSLS3 View Post
Hadn't seen those. Looks like a great (acoustic) approach. Am I correct in understanding these run without (in place of) mufflers?
You are correct. https://youtube.com/shorts/H-jJdiHzNOI?feature=share
Old 12-20-2021, 12:49 PM   #8
102SSRSLS3

Just back from the muffler shop where I had him install the Solo J-Pipes. I took a spin out of town to test the J-Pipes at speed - amazing! They really seem to work. The shop owner wanted a report after I'd driven it a week or so as he's really interested in the results. He had installed them one other time (on a thoroughly tuned Tahoe!).

I really appreciate the forum suggestions and help. I'll try to report back in after more testing.
Old 12-22-2021, 12:39 PM   #9
102SSRSLS3

Yep, a couple of days commuting and I'm calling this confirmed. Still has the Borla tone, but the drone is absolutely and markedly better. A worthwhile investment for a daily driver. Thank you, everyone!
Old 12-29-2021, 01:23 PM   #10
SS_Dave

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 102SSRSLS3 View Post
Yep, a couple of days commuting and I'm calling this confirmed. Still has the Borla tone, but the drone is absolutely and markedly better. A worthwhile investment for a daily driver. Thank you, everyone!
So what does your final/full setup look like front to back?
SS_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 11:27 PM   #11
Dusk_2SS

Drives: 2013 Dusk Special Edition 2SS/RS
Can't blame drone on S-types. I have Texas Speed LT headers, High Flo cats, Magnaflo X-pipe and Borla S-Type axel back and I have no drone.
Old 12-30-2021, 11:15 AM   #12
Modernmusclecar

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Drone come from mufflers....Never heard of anyone saying a Borlā had drone.
EPS CUSTOM GRIND CAM....K@N CAI....VMAX PTB.....FRANKENSTEIN STAGE 2 HEADS ...1 7/8 STAINLESS POWER CATTED LONGTUBE HEADERS...CORSA XTREME 3 INCH CATBACK.....CIRCLE D 3800 Pro Series stall...391 gears.....Ported/modded GPI intake .Forgestar drag pack with Mickey Thompson ET street drag radials AGP PERFORMANCE DYNO TUNED. 463 WHP 428 FTLBS TORQUE.
Modernmusclecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 10:17 PM   #13
bkscott

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Borlas definitely do drone. And it will get worse with a cam. I put the J pipes on mine and it took care of that. Before that highway trips were terrible, had to kep it in 5th to kill the drone.

ADM CAI, Borla Type S Cat Back, VMAX Ported TB, LG Short Throw Shifter, 1LE Shocks, Hotchkis Sway Bars, Whiteline Cradle Bushing Inserts, Custom Powdercoated ZL1's ,Michelin Pilot Supersports, Stainless Power Headers, Solo J Pipes, AAC LED Sidemarkers, ZL1 Rockers, SLP Splitter, ADM Stage II Cam,ZL1 Diffuser,Vitesse Throttle Controller.

bkscott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
borla, drone