Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Past Camaro Fests > 2017 Camaro Fest (VII)

Old 02-02-2017, 01:10 PM   #169
Highjumper

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
I've gone through the 12 pages and have a question I don't think has been asked. If so I apologize.
If it's raining do they give you a refund? What if the track is wet?
Thanks, thinking of pulling the trigger
Old 02-02-2017, 01:17 PM   #170
detltu

Drives: 1992 Z28 1LE; 2015 Zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highjumper View Post
I've gone through the 12 pages and have a question I don't think has been asked. If so I apologize.
It rained last time and they still ran. Don't know about if the weather is really bad. Most of the time rain won't stop people from running.
1991 Camaro Z28 1LE-
1992 Camaro Z28 1LE- 25th anniversary
2015 Camaro ZL1
detltu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 01:49 PM   #171
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Beech Bend is pretty good at getting the track dried off pretty quickly once the rain stops. NCM ran last time even in the pouring rain.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:04 PM   #172
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
NCM runs in the rain as long as it's not flooded in the low areas... would be a track judgement call. I ran there for a HPDI after the rains hit. Track was safety checked first to make sure.

BTW, with windows down also even if there is rain. Lighting/thunderstorms would be a different call altogether... JOHNSONROD would know for sure...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 02:06 PM   #173
Char1ieone
Fear the Red Bow Tie

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Last time it rained/drizzled from 7am all the way to noon where we had only about an hour of dry track. We still ran through the laps with the track wet. So i would think no refund.
Char1ieone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 02:23 PM   #174
JOHNSONROD

Drives: 62 Chevy & 2021 1SS/1LE manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdo View Post
NCM runs in the rain as long as it's not flooded in the low areas... would be a track judgement call. I ran there for a HPDI after the rains hit. Track was safety checked first to make sure.

BTW, with windows down also even if there is rain. Lighting/thunderstorms would be a different call altogether... JOHNSONROD would know for sure...

-Don
you nailed it Don. ive never seen it rain out an entire day in the summer. we lost most of a day when i was working for extreme experience, but that was in the spring, and they were concerned about letting me drive 1/3 millon dollar cars in standing water. in ky in july it could pop up a thunder banger at any time, but its usually hot n dry. they usually run in damp and even wet track condition but not in standing water. if it pops up a storm, jimmy will go out and blow the water and turtles off the track. then we will go back out. the pros claim you learn more in the wet than the dry. i prefer the dry. i guess that means im an amateur.
i got the brick back together and went over tuesday for a shake down on street tires. car is tight. nice.
JOHNSONROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 02:39 PM   #175
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highjumper View Post
As everyone has said - no refunds for rain. It's part of the risk with these things...and anyways, it doesn't take much to dry the track off.

Plus, it changes the landscape of the track dramatically...new driving lines become useful for good laps.

Believe it or not, rain helps teach drivers a similar, but different set of performance driving skills compared to what they'd learn during a "perfect day". They get to learn them at much lower speeds.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:47 PM   #176
Highjumper

Thanks, everyone for the responses. I did some autoX but it's been 15 years ago. A wet track can be fun.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:06 PM   #177
Dragonman

Drives: 2015 1LT OBE
I would argue a wet skid pad can be fun. A wet track, not so much. While I won't shy away if it does rain, gotta get my money's worth, I'm hopin' fer hot and what JOHNSONROD calls dry.

Having lived out west what's called hot and dry here is....Not dry.

Along those lines, if it is "hot and dry" folks might want to remember to hydrate sufficiently the night before and the morning of.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:13 PM   #178
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonman View Post
Along those lines, if it is "hot and dry" folks might want to remember to hydrate sufficiently the night before and the morning of.
And all day....bring water, water, water!
Old 02-02-2017, 04:36 PM   #179
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
I get it for serious racers, rain might be fun. But I only got in a lap or two last time. With a cloth interior & very little experience I won't be driving in rain like I did not last time, partly because I don't want the added risk of wrecking and secondly because I don't want all that wet sand in my interior. I agree that last time's almost full day rain is a rarity for a summer day & odds are if we get a shower it will pass & track will dry. I will be there with fingers crossed for dry & not oppressively hot weather.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:50 PM   #180
Char1ieone
Fear the Red Bow Tie

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
As everyone has said - no refunds for rain. It's part of the risk with these things...and anyways, it doesn't take much to dry the track off.

Plus, it changes the landscape of the track dramatically...new driving lines become useful for good laps.

Believe it or not, rain helps teach drivers a similar, but different set of performance driving skills compared to what they'd learn during a "perfect day". They get to learn them at much lower speeds.
It sure does. The last CamaroFest was the first time I had driven on a wet/damp track and I will admit, I was very nervous which made, not only myself, but everyone else in my group very cautious of our surroundings and how we were driving. It didn't take long for dry tracks from the cars in front of being created and helped me in my driving techniques by following the majorities path. Almost like shadowing and really did make me feel like I was learning something that I don't think many would get the opportunity to while driving on the track. Once the drizzle ceased and the track dried up a bit then everyone including myself became familiar on how to handle and hug the corners that it made it that much more enjoyable.

As much of a drag that it was the last time that it rained, I will admit that it did teach me better so take it for was it is.
Char1ieone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 06:03 PM   #181
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
It's July it doesn't rain in Kentucky in July if it does it doesn't last long and dries off quickly.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:40 AM   #182
Highjumper

OK. Paid for the NCM Road Course. Put me on the list. Questions:
What clubs you have run track days with? None
What tracks you have ran at? None
Total number of track days... None only AutoCross experience
Previous experience at this track and how many times. None
Have you been previously solo approved, and if so where and by who? (Only required for "advanced" group) No

Can't wait, glad to be a part.
Scott