Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 06-29-2021, 09:49 PM   #1
Att3mpt

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2015 2SS RS
Experiences with GPI SS1 Blower Cam?

Hi, just like the title said, I would like to get some feedback on the GPI SS1 Blower Cam. I know most people are doing the SS3 Blower Cam, but since my car is still my DD I prefer to idle more like stock (gf doesnt like it too choppy and rough idle)...

I am unable to find any vids with the SS1 blower cam, so anybody with experience please share.

I will be doing l99 to ls3 conversion with this cam, the same time I install the Magnuson heartbeat.

Car has kooks Long tube with cats and also a borla atak catback... hopefully it wont be much louder than it already is lmao.

thanks
Att3mpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 07:19 AM   #2
WEISHAAR37

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
shoot an email to Ben@Gwayneyperformance.com and we can talk over exactly what you are looking for and what you can expect out of the parts you choose.

Ben
WEISHAAR37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 12:40 PM   #3
SSkat

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Att3mpt View Post
Hi, just like the title said, I would like to get some feedback on the GPI SS1 Blower Cam. I know most people are doing the SS3 Blower Cam, but since my car is still my DD I prefer to idle more like stock (gf doesnt like it too choppy and rough idle)...

I am unable to find any vids with the SS1 blower cam, so anybody with experience please share.

I will be doing l99 to ls3 conversion with this cam, the same time I install the Magnuson heartbeat.

Car has kooks Long tube with cats and also a borla atak catback... hopefully it wont be much louder than it already is lmao.

thanks
Its gonna be a good bit louder with the cam. I have the same exhaust setup you have with tsp stage 2 cam and it would be a little obnoxious as a daily.
SSkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 12:48 PM   #4
Att3mpt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSkat View Post
Its gonna be a good bit louder with the cam. I have the same exhaust setup you have with tsp stage 2 cam and it would be a little obnoxious as a daily.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Is your tsp stage 2 cam a NA or blower cam?
I think the blower cams are slightly different than the NA cam and that normally from what I see, the NA cams are generally louder with more lope? correct me if im wrong.

Thanks
Old 07-01-2021, 08:08 PM   #5
Ashen 6.2

Drives: 2014 Camaro Z/SS
Might try calling or emailing Ben from above and see if they can do a custom camshaft that has a smooth idle and the power your looking for.

Mods - GPI 416 w/Custom Grind Cam, Ported Heads & Tuned by Ben, Mag Heartbeat, ZL1 Fuel Pump & DSX Aux Pump, NW 103 TB, FIC 1650's, Alky Meth, Circle D 3600 Triple Disc, RPM 5” CAI, Kooks Headers, Solo Cat Back, Viking Coil Overs & all the BMR Goodies in the rear, Zl1 3.23 Diff, DSS Axles, Gulfcoast Driveshaft, Hendrix Offset Diff Bushings, AFE Solid Subframe Bushings, 875HP/843TQ 5FDP
Ashen 6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 04:17 AM   #6
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashen 6.2 View Post
Might try calling or emailing Ben from above and see if they can do a custom camshaft that has a smooth idle and the power your looking for.
I would agree. Because I have the SS1 cam not the blower though so I don't know what the difference in specs are but I would say it you don't like a nice chop and a bit of bucking in gear I would give them a call and see what their options are. Some say a torque converter will help with the cam but I'm not sure.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 08:21 AM   #7
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
If I'm not mistaking, the lope and idle quality is all determined by the LSA (lobe separation angle) of the cam. Also yes the cam will make your sound a lot louder with the higher lifts in the exhaust events of the cam, mine got about twice as loud as before the cam. If you are concerned about the bucking and idle driving characteristics of the cam, a converter setup right will eliminate all that. I am running a TSP stage 3 cam and a big intake manifold and a 4200-4500 stall and all is fine. Good luck and have fun. I would do as stated above if you are going with the GPI cam, call Ben and chat about what it is you are looking for and want to do with your build. Lots of guys on here are running GPI and they offer god knowledge and info on the VVT cams.
Old 07-03-2021, 03:18 PM   #8
Att3mpt

Thanks for all the replies! I was hoping if someone could share direct experience with the blower ss1 cam but this is good too
Old 08-08-2023, 10:27 AM   #9
phoenix78

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS (A6 Ashen Gray)
Quote:
Thanks for all the replies! I was hoping if someone could share direct experience with the blower ss1 cam but this is good too

Hey, I've been considering the exact same cam+supercharger combination. If you did it since then, how do you like it? Did you get a certain torque converter as well?
Mod list: GPI SS3 camshaft (VVT delete), ZL1 Fuel Pump, FIC 60 lb injectors, Tru-Cool 40k tranny cooler, Circle D 3600 triple disc (billet flexplate), GPI Rod Mod, Bo White ported TB, Variant Helium wheels, Continental ECS 02 tires, CAI cold air intake, Kooks 1 7/8" LTH w/ high flow cats, Ridetech HQ coilovers, BMR sway bars, BMR delrin subframe bushings, Hendrix offset poly diff bushings, Borla S-Type axle-back exhaust, Holley EFI Fuel Rails, Elite Engineering E2 catch can, Umbra LED Taillights, Kenwood DMX9707S head unit, some minor interior/exterior appearance mods.

phoenix78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 06:10 PM   #10
ss camaro-monte

Drives: 2015 camaro 2ss, 87 monte ss
Late to this thread but I have seen a ss1 blower in a cts v. It has some lope, more than my custom spec cam from gpi. I have a custom grind from gpi 216 228 118 and it has a baby cam idle. Not really a lope but anyone who has been around 5th gens will be able to tell it's cammed.
If you don't want any lope you are going to need a cam with overlap similar to mine. Basically -12 overlap or more.
ss camaro-monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 08:36 AM   #11
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
Here is my $.02....

First off, decide if 'GF' is a permanent modification

Secondly, choose your car modifications based on what YOU want....unless this is the only car AND your gf drives it, too. If that's the case, reference the first step again.

Lastly, if a factory smooth idle and drivability is your goal, the LS9 camshaft is a great economical cam upgrade that will give a factory smooth idle, great driving manners, and allow for a nice power bump as well. The LS9 camshaft doesn't require aftermarket valve springs, hardened pushrods, etc.

-Scott

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 11:06 AM   #12
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:

thanks
JRE is one of the few shops that offers a great/powerful smooth Idle blower cam that drives like stock, Idles barely over stock and does not require a torque converter, so super driver friendly.

We have made over 800 RWHP with this cam so it is not limited by any means.

Our Rough Idle blower cam has extremely good Driver manners as well but we do recommend a converter with this one.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blower cam, cam, gpi, heartbeat, supercharger