Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-31-2013, 05:00 PM   #1
CamaroDIYking

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Help with buying headers

What do the different sizes mean and does it matter which brand? I know I need stainless so it wont rust but why do some cost twice more than others when it's all metal and does the same job?

Lighting- LED footwell, grille, trunk, and engine lights done via DIY. LED dome, DRL, and tag lights.
Paint- Painted engine cover, steering wheel bezel, speedometer bezel, front bowtie, tail light bezels, wheel center caps.
Exterior lights- tinted tail lights and sidemarker lights.
Wheels- powdercoated stock RS 20' wheels black
Exhaust- Cat-back Dynomax Bullet Exhaust system with bullet muffler delete.
Misc- rear blackout kit from Big Worm Graphix, black side Camaro lettering from Emblem Pros, and rear Camaro lettering from Emblem Pros.
CamaroDIYking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:12 PM   #2
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
This is in the wrong section....

You want the highest quality headers that you can buy. The more expensive ones (Kooks, SW, ARH) are hand welded exclusively in the US, with the highest grade of stainless. The also have features such as integrated merge spikes etc. They also fit better and have a lifetime warranty.

Last edited by mikeyg36; 05-31-2013 at 06:43 PM.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:55 PM   #3
Birm

Drives: Florida Speed & Power
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDIYking View Post
What do the different sizes mean and does it matter which brand? I know I need stainless so it wont rust but why do some cost twice more than others when it's all metal and does the same job?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
This is in the wrong section....

You want the highest quality headers that you can buy. The more expensive ones (Kooks, SW, ARH) are hand welded exclusively in the US, with the highest grade of stainless. The also have features such as integrated merge spikes etc. They also fit better and have a lifetime warranty.
That about sums it up. When it comes to headers typically you get what you pay for. The quality of American Racing Headers or StainlessWorks or kooks are second to none and are all on PAR with each other for the most part.

Different sizes are exactly that...1 3/4" 1 7/8" 2" etc. Different diameters typically for different purposes... The normal header for most is the 1 7/8, better flow then 3/4 and not overkill since you don't have a ton of air to move like the 2" would be. It is the one that best suits most.

FSP has some of the best prices around on American Racing Headers, pm me if you are interested.
Birm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:58 PM   #4
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
Also, stainless will hold heat in much better then cheaper metal. +1 for ARH...top notch.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:19 PM   #5
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDIYking View Post
Give the thread below a look. If you have any questions afterwards feel free to hit me up.

Choosing The Right Long Tube Headers
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:12 PM   #6
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Do a lot of research, there are plenty of quality headers out there at a reasonable price. If you are dead set on paying extra for a nameplate, then you are spending money foolishly. Don't get me wrong, the 3 named above are quality products........but don't play follow the leader. One thing I like about Stainless works, is they have got with the program and offer a super quality lower priced header (Stainless Power), which in my opinion, puts them miles ahead of the others. TSP offers some great products at good prices. And yes, I'm man enough to throw it out there, OBX makes some really good budget headers (just be sure to buy from an OBX dealer, NOT Ebay). 99% of the long tube headers will offer the same hp/tq gains. 99% of stainless long tubes will outlast you automobile. 1 3/4" is usually good enough, but recently 1 7/8" have become the norm. 2" are useless unless you are pushing ubergobs of hp.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:33 AM   #7
RJT-SS

Drives: '11 2SS/RS A6
I am as penny-pinching as they come but, some of us buy the "nameplate" to support the "Made in the USA" philosophy.

All of the headers mentioned though are good products. The thread from Apex Chase is a great read to get you started.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:50 AM   #8
Mchlgrrsn
Stroked and blown

Drives: 2010 LS3 2SS
Buy what you can afford. Quickly. Times a wasting. Sizes depend on ow much your going to add later, 2" are for big builds. 1 7/8 is usually the size to get for moderate builds. Enjoy
LME 416 LS3 shortblock/Callies Compstar 4340 4"crank/Callies 6.125 H beams rods/Wiesco 4.07 forged pistons/Cam Motion custom LS1/LME ported heads /maggie TVS2300/I West 8rib 10%OD /3.2 pulley/OD cog drive/JRE tensioner/ID850 /ADM dual fuel/Kooks LT 1 7/8/magna flow2.5 /cat delete/Roto Fab CAI /MGW short throw /SPEC super twin clutch/G Force built trans,carbon syncro rear shaft upgrade /DSS 9"single CF DS /Strange 3.70/31 spline trutrac/MT DR's/earls oil cooler /tuned KHC
Mchlgrrsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:59 AM   #9
IDEALG
Chevy's "Rumble" Best!

Drives: 2015 ZL1 6 speed
Send a message via AIM to IDEALG
1 7/8 is what you want unless your building a highly modded supercharged engine then you want to go bigger.

although the brands listed above are well known, i'd take a look at the Dynatech Longtube headers that Jannetty Racing sells. I've installed a few sets of these headers and they are really nice , fit perfect, and have the right price.

Ted has done the dyno testing on these as well to show that they perform right on.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:05 PM   #10
thjr59

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS IOM
I just installed a set of stainless power headers. They fit nice and for the amount of money I saved compared to others I can put that money towards a tune.
thjr59 is offline   Reply With Quote