Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-30-2010, 04:20 PM   #1
JProberts

Drives: 2SS RJT RS/Sunroof
Looking for 30-50 more RWHP!!

I have been infatuated with adding a SC to my car but it's not going to happen anytime soon as the SC costs to much for me at this point and I want to add on HP as I go to see what the differences are adding HP in smaller doses instead of completely changing the car by adding 125HP....may be that the extra 40 or 50 RWHP is enough for me.

So with this said I have about $2000 I can spend and would like to include install in that amount so wondering if you guys have ideas on what my options are?

I assumed the most effective and engine safe way would be to add a CAI, headers and a custom tune but not sure if i can get this type of package installed at 2K. Was looking at the JRE street package that sells for 2K before install, any idead what the install cost would be for this type of set-up?

Was thinking if I got the Roto-Fab instead of the CAI Inc cai I could save some $$$ there along with getting a local tune would get my parts and tune down to about $1200 and thinking I can get install for under $800, does this sound reasonable?

Waiting to hear back from TandT and Jannetty about some possibilities but if you guys could give me some input and ideas that would be great.

Thanks
JProberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:39 PM   #2
CamaroCowboy

Drives: 2013 Chevy Truck
Well one thing is Headers and a CAI are easy to install yourself. You can save some cash there. A custom tune is gonna be a couple hundred no matter where you go. If you do decide to install headers yourself get a buddy to help. It makes it 150 times easier with an extra set of hands. I would say get a roto-fab cai and some nice LT headers with High Flow Cats and a custom tune. you will not be disapointed.
Texas speed LT Headers and High Flow Cats, Magnaflow 3 inch cat-back Exhaust, SNL V2 Comp CAM, Texas Speed Underdrive Pully, G5CR CAI, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, JetFlo Mass Air Sensor, Custom Grill, Amber AAC Headlight and Fog Light Halo, Amber footwell Lighting, Amber under hood lighting, RK Sport Ram Air /Heat Extractor Hood and ADM Racing Scoop. 447.9 RWHP 428 TQ
My car is exactly that, No one has to like it but me!
CamaroCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:41 PM   #3
Camaro54

Drives: Camaro SS2/RS orange/black stripes
Is your car a manual? Are your sure you will be adding the SC later on? If so you'll want to make sure all your mods will work with the SC or you'll be replacing whatever you do now. The ported throttle body is 6 to 10 hp for only about $150. Great deal for the bucks but I believe there is a difference in the bodies if you have a SC. Make sure you let them know what you intend to do later. You may want to talk to a good speed shop and come up with a plan for your final goal. How much hp do you want to end up with? Then start at the beginning and slowly start adding mods working towards your goal. You'll lose some $$ this way cause ever time you add something you'll need a new tune. You'll save $$ if you do it all at once but I was like you. I wanted hp right now so I did it in 3 stages. I have the auto with 550rwhp that is very streetable and a lot of fun. I've decided I don't want anymore hp for the street since I want to keep the drivetrain stock. Hope this helps. PM me if you have questions. I've used Jannetty and they did a very nice job.
Camaro54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:01 PM   #4
JProberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCowboy View Post
Well one thing is Headers and a CAI are easy to install yourself. You can save some cash there. A custom tune is gonna be a couple hundred no matter where you go. If you do decide to install headers yourself get a buddy to help. It makes it 150 times easier with an extra set of hands. I would say get a roto-fab cai and some nice LT headers with High Flow Cats and a custom tune. you will not be disapointed.
No mechanical skills here, no time either, yeah thought I could save money on a local tune as I would not have to purchase the hand help tuner.

Leaning heavily towards the Roto-Fab as I hear good things about it and see a sale on them now thats pretty good, may place an order tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro54 View Post
Is your car a manual? Are your sure you will be adding the SC later on? If so you'll want to make sure all your mods will work with the SC or you'll be replacing whatever you do now. The ported throttle body is 6 to 10 hp for only about $150. Great deal for the bucks but I believe there is a difference in the bodies if you have a SC. Make sure you let them know what you intend to do later. You may want to talk to a good speed shop and come up with a plan for your final goal. How much hp do you want to end up with? Then start at the beginning and slowly start adding mods working towards your goal. You'll lose some $$ this way cause ever time you add something you'll need a new tune. You'll save $$ if you do it all at once but I was like you. I wanted hp right now so I did it in 3 stages. I have the auto with 550rwhp that is very streetable and a lot of fun. I've decided I don't want anymore hp for the street since I want to keep the drivetrain stock. Hope this helps. PM me if you have questions. I've used Jannetty and they did a very nice job.
I have an auto and may go the SC route one day and will keep that in mind when adding parts now.

Will PM you with more questons.

Thanks guys
Old 12-30-2010, 05:24 PM   #5
Sack Rat 2SS

Drives: Silver SS/RS, Man 6
JProberts - Just a plug for the ADM Perf CAI. It also fits the Edelbrock, Whipple, and Magnacharger blowers. IMHO the Roto fab is OK but I do not like looking at the filter element with hood up. My 2 cents. With a CAI, headers, exhaust, and tune you will reach your goal. Also part of the tune, especially with the auto tranny, is to tweek the torque management somewhat to improve throttle response etc.

Last edited by Sack Rat 2SS; 12-30-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Sack Rat 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:32 PM   #6
JProberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sack Rat 2SS View Post
Just a plug for the ADM Perf CAI. It also fits the Edelbrock, Whipple, and Magnacharger blowers. With a CAI, headers, exhaust, and tune you will reach your goal.
Yeah considered the ADM CAI after looking at JRE spreedsheet but they have about the most expensive unit out there and thought the Roto-Fab with headers and tune would still get me there......hopefully. Plus I'm trying to do this with install at 2K! Don't know if I can get there at this price.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:47 PM   #7
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
well JRE does provide a free tune, but the question is does he charge you for the handle held?
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:02 PM   #8
JProberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
well JRE does provide a free tune, but the question is does he charge you for the handle held?
Yeah I see that he offers that but I'm sure you have to purchase the hand held. Problem is I won't have much use for the handheld after I load my tune. Not a mechanic and don't plan on swapping tunes if possible. Guess I could just sell the hand held afterwards.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:13 PM   #9
S-eatin-grin

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS AGM
As much as it may kill you to wait..you should wait until you can afford the mods you really want, don't skimp on cheap headers, exhaust. I think the rotofab is fine and it is adaptable to the edelbrock SC. Go with Kooks, ARH, Borla or SLP headers. Kooks and ARH offer complete sets to include mufflers.
S-eatin-grin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:27 PM   #10
JProberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-eatin-grin View Post
As much as it may kill you to wait..you should wait until you can afford the mods you really want, don't skimp on cheap headers, exhaust. I think the rotofab is fine and it is adaptable to the edelbrock SC. Go with Kooks, ARH, Borla or SLP headers. Kooks and ARH offer complete sets to include mufflers.
Already have a Borla axle back so I guess I could go with some Borla headers and the Roto-Fab add a tune and hope that get me the extra HP I want.

Its true I really wanted the SC but no way to afford it now and want to take my power increases in small steps to get used to it and see really what the additional HP bring to the car. Like I said I may find the added 40RWHP does it for me. Thanks
Old 12-30-2010, 06:30 PM   #11
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Quote:
Originally Posted by JProberts View Post
No mechanical skills here, no time either, yeah thought I could save money on a local tune as I would not have to purchase the hand help tuner.

Leaning heavily towards the Roto-Fab as I hear good things about it and see a sale on them now thats pretty good, may place an order tonight.

I have an auto and may go the SC route one day and will keep that in mind when adding parts now.

Will PM you with more questons.

Thanks guys
Get your stuff from Ted. He has a awesome tune for the auto which has proven by itself to totally change the car to a beast.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:32 PM   #12
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Quote:
Yeah I see that he offers that but I'm sure you have to purchase the hand held. Problem is I won't have much use for the handheld after I load my tune. Not a mechanic and don't plan on swapping tunes if possible. Guess I could just sell the hand held afterwards.
But if you keep the tuner as you keep buying stuff from Ted he will keep giving you free tunes as you grow.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:35 PM   #13
JProberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
Get your stuff from Ted. He has a awesome tune for the auto which has proven by itself to totally change the car to a beast.
Can you elaborate on this statement? I would like to know exacly what his tune alone could do for my 2SS. What type of HP or performance increase will I get with his tune alone. Have heard this from others but have been trying to get a solid numbers answer forthis question but no luck yet. Can you tell me about this beast please.

Thanks
Old 12-30-2010, 08:38 PM   #14
S-eatin-grin

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS AGM
Haha...yes please elaborate. Jannetty racing does have a great rep. I' looking into having them do a shortblock build for me or least use their packages for the build. I live in the surrounding DC area too so CT is a bit of a drive to talk my dissapproving wife into. I had my SC installed by Tony's Corvette in Gaithersburg, MD...first class place with tons of GM performance experience. I would advise you to build from the botom up with the SC being last if you find your thirst for raw power is insatiable once you taste it...lord help your bank account if that happens becuase you will also need to start looking at suspension, rear end, fuel supply, torque converter for your auto...etc, etc. I know we arn't suppose to talk about street racing...and I won't/don't line up with people on the street but the first time a mustang comes up on your bumper on the highway and you can't pull away quick enough or at all...you'll probably want more.

Quote:
Can you elaborate on this statement? I would like to know exacly what his tune alone could do for my 2SS. What type of HP or performance increase will I get with his tune alone. Have heard this from others but have been trying to get a solid numbers answer forthis question but no luck yet. Can you tell me about this beast please.

Thanks
S-eatin-grin is offline   Reply With Quote