Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-26-2020, 03:48 PM   #1
StuntmanMike74

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS
Doing a muffler delete on a 2010 V6, do I need a resonated x-pipe for back pressure?

I am doing a muffler delete and I am wondering if I can just run a regular x-pipe or do I need a resonated version for back pressure? It's my 18 yr old sons car so drone is a non issue, but low rumble is preferable. Should those resonators be removed?
StuntmanMike74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 03:58 PM   #2
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
You wont get a rumble from a V6 because they are too small of a motor displacement and usually end up sounding like a Honda with a fart pipe. GM worked miracles to get to sound as mellow as it is and its actually a good flowing exhaust which is surprising.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:03 PM   #3
RupertPupkin

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1Le
If you want some rumble, get an H pipe, and add some flowmaster 40 or 44 or Bullet mufflers. The X pipe will change the resonance, and if you have no mufflers then it’ll sound like an import.

I would suggest keep the stock catback and change the mufflers to what I mentioned.
LS7 Lifters|BTR Springs|Speed Engineering LTs|Muffler Mod|ECS 1500|DSX Aux Pump|DSX Flex Fuel Sensor|FIC 127#|ATI Balancer|DashLogic| McLeod RXT|BMR 1.4 Springs|MightyMouse Wild|AEM WideBand|AEM BoostGauge|ZL1Addons Splitter|VA Sideskirts|POWER : 737whp/635trq
RupertPupkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:48 AM   #4
StuntmanMike74

But what about about the back pressure? If we do a muffler delete does it need a resonated X-pipe or will a regular x-pipe be ok?
Old 05-27-2020, 10:23 AM   #5
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertPupkin View Post
If you want some rumble, get an H pipe, and add some flowmaster 40 or 44 or Bullet mufflers. The X pipe will change the resonance, and if you have no mufflers then it’ll sound like an import.

I would suggest keep the stock catback and change the mufflers to what I mentioned.
it comes with a stock H pipe already, but definitely will sound better with magnaflows or flowmasters (or something similar) than it would with the mufflers chopped off.

and you're never going to notice a difference exhaust backpressure on these cars by changing from an H to X pipe, you'll just notice the resonance change.
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:30 AM   #6
StuntmanMike74

So if I swap the H-PIPE to a regular X-pipe and then delete the mufflers there will be no issue with back pressure? Just looking for a straight answer on that scenario. Does it need to be a resonated x-pipe or is a regular one just fine with the mufflers cut off?
Old 05-27-2020, 10:37 AM   #7
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuntmanMike74 View Post
So if I swap the H-PIPE to a regular X-pipe and then delete the mufflers there will be no issue with back pressure? Just looking for a straight answer on that scenario. Does it need to be a resonated x-pipe or is a regular one just fine with the mufflers cut off?
there's no issue with backpressure regardless of what you do. you don't need a resonated x-pipe or a regular one, it's all just up to your preference. resonated would sound better if you're not going to have mufflers, but don't expect a rumble because you won't get it
Old 05-29-2020, 01:54 AM   #8
'10CamaroDude

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
Dual flowmasters are going to be your best bet. Nothing is going to give you that muscle
car sound except for a muscle car.

This is the best you're gonna get.
https://youtu.be/mSVH46L9Hag

Corsa Performance offers a cat-back, cross-pipe system for the V-6 Camaro that
offers improved performance, sound, and a reduction in weight over the factory
system.

The muffler is what shapes the sound. MRT 2.0 (9.5 lbs each):

The MRT ver2.0 is deep and loud and at wot it sounds like a Ferrari, so they say.

Long tube headers will also help shape your deeper sound.
'10CamaroDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 08:28 AM   #9
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
I am doing a muffler delete and I am wondering if I can just run a regular x-pipe or do I need a resonated version for back pressure? It's my 18 yr old sons car so drone is a non issue, but low rumble is preferable. Should those resonators be removed?
It's going to sound like crap no matter what you do imo.
Old 05-29-2020, 09:19 AM   #10
CamaroBarb
Banned

Drives: cheby Camaro
I pulled into a mini market for coffee and next to me was a v6 Camaro with the factory option loud exhaust that you can turn off and on. We started talking for a min and of course the guy had to bring that up like it was a super charger. Well he started the car to leave with the loud exhaust turn on. It was stick and he revved it pretty good then drove up the highway. It was absolutely one of the WORST sounding cars I ever heard. I felt sorry for the guy driving around with such a horrendous sound in his 40's thinkin he was cool (i guess?) I actually chuckled to myself I'm glad it wasn't me.

That car is going to sound terrible without mufflers.
CamaroBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 10:51 AM   #11
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
Quote:
No concern with back-pressure as mentioned. If you remove the mufflers and use a regular x-pipe it will probably sound not so good. On my last Camaro I removed my mufflers and added the "resonated" x-pipe by Magnaflow (11386 I believe is the part number) and I thought it sounded pretty good, although there was still a good amount of drone at cruising RPM and I ended up adding j-pipes.

Right now I have the Solo Performance cat-back which is similar to what I did before except that it includes resonators where the mufflers would be. It sounds pretty similar - not quite as loud and nasty - but wouldn't say it rumbles - definitely no "fart can Honda" though.

I also like the sound of the MRT and Flow Master axle-backs based on videos I've watched. If you do want a rumble you can get a pretty good sound with long tube headers, but then the price starts going up...
K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake, Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 10:57 AM   #12
ariZona28

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
It's going to sound like crap no matter what you do imo.
+1. Leave it stock.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:54 PM   #13
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
+1. Leave it stock.
to me stock sounds like a moped. i put magnaflows on mine so it's not too loud, no drone, not too quiet. doesn't rumble but it sounds much better than flowmasters on a v6 IMO. and i think no mufflers on almost any car is obnoxious, i did a muffler delete for someone's 5.0 and that shit sounds horrible
Old 05-29-2020, 02:37 PM   #14
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
+1. Leave it stock.
I've read a lotta V6 posts with guys wishing they'd left it alone and not wasted thousands.