Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-07-2022, 04:10 PM   #225
PaulsSS

Drives: 15SS Camaro
Maybe you're right, I just stayed on the safe side. Changing head gaskets on LS engines makes me want to jump off a bridge! Now that I'm thinking about I believe I used all hose and got rid of the tubing. I know my Subaru will overheat in a min without a bypass if you block it off. My old LS1 Camaro ran hot and you could hear the coolant boiling in the engine after you shut it off without a baypass. Maybe these newer Camaros are made differently?
PaulsSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 04:22 PM   #226
PaulsSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT A 45 View Post
You guys are wayyyyyy overcomplicating the simplest of things! Your killing me!!!!! That heater core circuit has absolutely no bearing on the performance of the rest of the cooling system...period! If you don't believe me get yourself a pair of hose pinch off pliers and pick either hose and close it off.....tell me what happens. Nothing other than no heat! Anyone ever seen a COPO Camaro? What's one of the things they delete from the car???? The heater core maybe? Hell thinking about it, you don't have to cut anything....just get a pair of those pliers I'm talking about and job done! Seeing all this elaborate stuff does make me smile though.....lol And for the record, I had a field engineer here the other day and it was a supplier issue that was causing the doors to break.....not heat.
I tried a ty wrap once....didn't work lol.
Old 02-08-2022, 01:14 PM   #227
PaulsSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
As much as I'd like to do this mod I just don't think it can be done on a 2012-2015 camaro V8. Those were the years when GM switched the heater hoses assembly design. The assembly (see pic) just doesn't seem to allow anywhere to splice in the bypass valve given the use of rubber & metal, the hose spacing and bends. Perhaps when you have a chance you can send a pic of where you did it as I see in your signature you have a 2015.
The plastic valves are much smaller and will fit easily into the space. Just remove the entire hose-line assembly and replace it with hoses and the valve. The metal valve will work in there too, just need to think it out you'll be surprised what you can do if you put your mind to it.
Old 02-08-2022, 02:29 PM   #228
MSgt O

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Vert LS3/M6
back in the "old" days, we used a brass or bronze plug and threaded it directly into the waterpump and manifold...on these cars, you can just use a brass or plastic U shaped pipe...ez pz...
MSgt O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 02:58 PM   #229
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgt O View Post
back in the "old" days, we used a brass or bronze plug and threaded it directly into the waterpump and manifold...on these cars, you can just use a brass or plastic U shaped pipe...ez pz...
Been there, done that back then!! And it always worked!!
Old 02-08-2022, 03:25 PM   #230
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulsSS View Post
The plastic valves are much smaller and will fit easily into the space. Just remove the entire hose-line assembly and replace it with hoses and the valve. The metal valve will work in there too, just need to think it out you'll be surprised what you can do if you put your mind to it.
I’ve been thinking about doing just that, especially because before GM changed the heater hose design in 2012 there’s after market hose relocation kits that are all rubber that moved the hoses from running on top of the IM to where they are now. Even if it doesn’t help the blend door problem I like the idea of colder a/c
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 03:58 PM   #231
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
So, do we need a bypass valve or can we simply use a shutoff valve? Seems to be bouncing back and forth on what's what.
Old 02-08-2022, 03:58 PM   #232
Tony-8

Drives: 2014 Camaro RRM 2SS RS, M6 LS3 Vert
I apologize, as I'm sure this has been asked and answered, but I haven't been able to find an answer that makes sense: Why isn't this something GM has to fix? Does anyone know what percentage of our cars will eventually have this problem? It's obviously an expensive disaster waiting to happen. We shouldn't have to go through all this to have the reasonable use of a $50,000 vehicle (in 2014 dollars!)

And anyone who says that leaving the temp selector knob a couple of notches above the blue "cold" dot doesn't affect how cold the A/C is, hasn't driven my car.

I've never sued anyone for anything, but this seems like a GM blunder that requires a GM solution. Just sayin'
Old 02-08-2022, 06:33 PM   #233
MSgt O

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Vert LS3/M6
So, either a bypass or shut off would work. Which ever you want. As far as "its a known defect" GM has NOT issued a recall on it, it doesnt affect Driving or safety, so the NTSB doesnt care, its just one of those things that was a poor design, and apparently according to 45 who works on GM products, it was a material issue, but GM isnt going to publically acknowledge that, so were stuck to foot the bill. There are a MILLION things design wise that were poorly thought out and never recalled and the consumer is stuck with it. Lemon laws wont apply unless it happens within the warranty, so, here we are. Figuring out ways to DIY it or pay to have it done when/if it happens. Hasnt happened to me, knock on wood, so im not ACTUALLY sure how many cars this has affected.
MSgt O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 08:06 PM   #234
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
I had mine fixed for like $200 and no problems since. Knocks on wood. Lol
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 04:13 AM   #235
Whoomba

Drives: 2024Camaro 2SS CE Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
I had mine fixed for like $200 and no problems since. Knocks on wood. Lol
More info. What did they do for $200?
Whoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 05:19 AM   #236
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoomba View Post
More info. What did they do for $200?
I take my car to the same shop and have a good relationship with them. The A/C wouldn’t work so they were able to find out about the door breaking issue. They cut the box, removed the door and replaced it with a new one then sealed the box again. I’ve had ice cold A/C ever since. I do keep it 2 clicks back from full cold just to be safe.

When I say “$200” I don’t recall the exact amount but I’m remembering it was under $300 I think. It might have been under $400. It’s been a few years but I know they didn’t charge me for the full labor. I’ve also had them take a tire off a wheel, patch it, and reinstall it and then not charge me anything so I just tip the mechanic extra.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 04:42 PM   #237
Tony-8

Drives: 2014 Camaro RRM 2SS RS, M6 LS3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgt O View Post
So, either a bypass or shut off would work. Which ever you want. As far as "its a known defect" GM has NOT issued a recall on it, it doesnt affect Driving or safety, so the NTSB doesnt care, its just one of those things that was a poor design, and apparently according to 45 who works on GM products, it was a material issue, but GM isnt going to publically acknowledge that, so were stuck to foot the bill. There are a MILLION things design wise that were poorly thought out and never recalled and the consumer is stuck with it. Lemon laws wont apply unless it happens within the warranty, so, here we are. Figuring out ways to DIY it or pay to have it done when/if it happens. Hasnt happened to me, knock on wood, so im not ACTUALLY sure how many cars this has affected.

I appreciate the thoughtful response. I guess we don't have enough info to evaluate how pervasive this is. I don't even know whether when the blend door fails, it always gets stuck blowing hot air. I assume it does, because although lacking A/C may not a safety issue, lacking heat certainly is, at least in northern climates.

Then there's the question of whether repairing this design (or material) flaw should be borne solely by car owners, while providing an additional source of profit to GM and its dealers?

Anyway, I hate to be that guy b*tching, but this is the one thing that drives me crazy, as it seems like it can never be permanently fixed. And there may come a day when we can't even get a replacement part.

Okay, end rant.