Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 02-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #1
1LeSS

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS VR 1LE
Motorized Front plate

Anyone running one of these motorized front plate holders? or how about anyone running one and they have a splitter on their car?

I'm kicking the idea around cause we need a front plate here but......

Do they "tuck" under enough or how much clearance do they need? Would I lose an inch?, two inches?
1LeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
stlrammer

Drives: 2017 1SS Blue
I went two years without a plate in Missouri. Then they started cracking down. Motorized plate does work well and has enough clearance. Check youtube for demo video.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:40 PM   #3
tonyko1
Banned

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible, IBM
I have the license plate holder, but without the motorized part, couldn't deal with the cost and another "fob".

It works great, I put mine offset from the middle, to where it is a bit left of me in the driver's seat. I don't think I lose an inch, can't see any scratch marks, as there is another part of the plastic bumper assembly fascia that is even lower than where the license tucks away at. If I scratch my license, I have really bottomed out!

One thing you may want to do is get some adhesive padding to put on the back of the license to keep your bumper scratch free.

Lastly, don't forget to put it back in visible sight when out on the road!
tonyko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #4
fastlane2010

Drives: 2010 camaro with fast lane stage 2
I have one on mine because md has to run a front plate and I am lowered on coilovers and I dont hit it all and I have the electric one

fastlane2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
1LeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlane2010 View Post
I have one on mine because md has to run a front plate and I am lowered on coilovers and I dont hit it all and I have the electric one
Is there a big difference with the different brands out there or they all running the same idea?
Old 02-10-2013, 07:59 PM   #6
Bcarr

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Convertible
Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LeSS View Post
Is there a big difference with the different brands out there or they all running the same idea?
I have the motorized one from RPI. I like it a lot. I haven't had it on for a long time but I would say you lose 1 inch of clearance. No problems here yet.
Bcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:23 PM   #7
redZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Conv.
I have had the show-n-go retractable plate on my SS, and tried it again on my ZL1. The motorized version is a fun concept, but they don't last. Just the slightest scrape against a driveway or similar (which is almost unavoidable on the ZL1) will cause the tiny wire that pulls the sliding mechanism to bind and ball up around the pulley. My latest one lasted one week, then stopped working.

The company will not restring the wire without a charge if there is any sign of a scrape against concrete - I'm not saying this is right or wrong, just their policy.

I would recommend the non-electric version, because at least you won't have any visible holes in your bumper. I wish there was an electric one that was less flimsy.
redZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #8
dorfmac
www.macsautodetail.com

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Does anyone with the Rideskinz bumper use one of these? I need to use a front plate, but obv don't want to put holes in the new bumper.
dorfmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:32 AM   #9
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
I have the show-n-go plate holder electric. Was great until i lost the motor somwhere on my way to vegas. No i just have the plate holder with no motor.
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #10
Joebot8484
ZL1 # 1307

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1, 2008 Hummzilla H3
I run the motorized stow-n-show on my ZL1. Works great and has good clearance but don't run over 120 m.p.h. with it stowed, it will bend the track up.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #11
1LeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joebot8484 View Post
but don't run over 120 m.p.h. with it stowed, it will bend the track up.

Sounds like experience talking!!!
This is exactly the info i was looking for! Thanks
Old 02-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #12
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
I WAS running one of these. However if you're car is lowered you may run into an issue. If you look at the bottom of the Camaro bumper it isn't flat but at an angle. The motor on these (or at least the one I had) sits at the back. So with the position of the motor and the angle of the bumper, the motor would always scrape. Finally it literally broke off.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #13
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
I positioned my stow and go so that the motor would be in one of the two places with a moulded in part of the front underside of the bumper where it goes up from the underside to bolt the bumper up. The motor on it otherwise would have stuck up into the bumper holding it down not able to be mounted flat as the motor would interfere. I like it, have not really hurt it and set the pads on the back so the paint will not be hurt by its constantly being up......I bought it just for show, how ever yes a small part of the track must stick out about 1/2" as it has to clear the front. People like to see it retract also...like bond ....... james bond, LOL And yes the remote works inside the car or out unlike the scanner bar in the mailslot where you have to be in front of the car within like five feet. You can see a pic in my album if you click on my name as I do not have the jive lingo to get the stupid pic on here as people do not tell you how to get the stupid pic in the post, and the http adress thing just does not seem to work from photo bucket...etc
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:46 PM   #14
OVERPAR73
2018 Garnet Red ZL1 conve

Drives: 2013 & 2018 ZL1 vert
Plate holder

I love my non-motorized hide away plate holder!
Attached Images