Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 07-15-2008, 07:39 PM   #1
lafountain

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 2SS/RS
4th Gen Audio Question (Bose)

I have been told that when replacing the factory Bose unit that just about everything needs to be replaced (Wires, head unit, speakers). How true is this and is there a head unit that can just go in and replace the factory Bose unit?

At Crutchfield when I look up head units for the Camaro, this is listed in the installation section.

Your vehicle is equipped with an upgraded sound system. We recommend that you purchase an adapter to eliminate extensive rewiring when you install your new stereo. Without this adapter, you might have to replace your entire factory sound system, including the speakers.

I bought a car, turned out to be an alien robot. Who knew?
lafountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:14 PM   #2
Bumble Bee '77
AutoBot Scout

Drives: 2002 ZRS Camaro
I think thats just a marketing ploy to get you to buy more stuff. i swapped out the factory speakers and head unit with an alpine setup and it sounds awsome. ask IrocZlover she heard it at the Titus Will show.
Bumble Bee '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:59 PM   #3
BitchinCamaro

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
I know with the later Monsoon systems you can't just replace things at random. The speakers run at a different ohm than normal speakers, if you don't put in the right thing you can blow things out or it will sound like crap. You can use the stock wiring and rig something up to bypass the amp (since the amp is what determines the ohms. The head unit can be replaced easy, but you will lose SCV and steering wheel controls unless you get an adapter.

Of course, thats for Monsoon, could be completely different for Bose.
BitchinCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:58 AM   #4
Zhawk
Iroc's Love Slave

Drives: 3 Camaros, 1 Vette, a Buick, & a 57
I know on my 95, which had the Bose setup, we changed out the head unit and speakers.
You can get an adapter to be able to easily plug the new head unit into the stock harness, so that isn't a problem. As for the speakers, you will be MUCH happier if you replace the original Bose speakers will quality aftermarket speakers. Some good 2 or 3 way speakers will sound a lot better.
The other thing to watch out for is the sub in the back. If you have one then plugging it into an aftermarket head unit will make it pop very loudly each time you turn the stereo on. It has to do with how it is set up and wired. I replaced my with a Formed sub.
Zhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:59 AM   #5
Zhawk
Iroc's Love Slave

Drives: 3 Camaros, 1 Vette, a Buick, & a 57
Oh, and Bumblebee, your system did sound good.
Zhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:09 PM   #6
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I heard the same thing about the BOSE system on the LT1 cars. I had one in mine and was looking to add speakers in the areas there were none, but and audio guy told me the ohms were a PITA to deal with because they were like 6ohm speakers, or some 'ish, and that the head unit wouldn't play well with aftermarket speakers. I just left it alone because I didn't want to get speakers with too low ohm ratings and cook the head unit.

I don't really have much of a problem with my Monsoon in my LS1 car, but I do like the way my brother added a powered sub and box with and he just turned the bass off at the head unit, cranked up the upper end and used the sub for all the bass. It balanced out pretty good for OEM speakers, although some two or three-ways would definately have improved.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:43 AM   #7
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Check the other audio threads about the adapter also sold by Crutchfield. I think Alpine made one, JL makes one, Kicker, and a few others.

But why would you want to go and get rid of a BOSE unit??!!??
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:11 AM   #8
lafountain

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 2SS/RS
Well obviously this may not happen due to problems addressed in another thread, but the reason I was looking to replace the head unit is that my CD player doesn't work that well when it gets too hot or too cold. It basically has a specific temperature that it likes. Problem is here in Idaho in the summer it is over 100 and in the winter it is below freezing so there are plenty of times that the CD player doesn't want to work. Tried a CD cleaner but it hasn't helped at all.

I bought a car, turned out to be an alien robot. Who knew?
lafountain is offline   Reply With Quote