Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-15-2017, 11:24 AM   #29
BlackMambaZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
I will be doing cam and spings/rods this summer but for the time being this is what I will be running. Driven once a week, maybe. And will track it once or twice a year once I get a cam in.

Id1300's
DSX FF Sensor
DMS FF Kit with 255 Warlboro
ARH LTH 1 7/8" w/ cats. Complete system to MF out back
Ported SC snout
Ported polished TB
2.55 upper
9.5 lower
Idler relocation
100MM idler
Gates belt
Fuel labs filter
AFCO HX with fans
RotoFab tank
160* Tstat
Lingenfleter CAI
Moroso catch can
BlackMambaZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:23 PM   #30
Hellfighter

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1
So im getting my car done AFCO Heat exchanger, 160 Tstat, Micro V belt, D3 reservoir, Water Wetter + Water to replace coolant, with a full flush, off road mid pipes instead of cats, 2.4 Pulley with 8.6 Lower , but my guy is telling me i need to get a 2.5 because this is too much boost chart said it was ok but let me know what you guys think, and reinforced cooler insider the SC upgrade, + Re-Tune.

Should i change it to a 2.5? Everywhere i look everyone is selling a whole 2.5 not just the pulley for the Metco hub so it's PITA to try and get it in within 1 - 2 days for the install if i should swap it out.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:37 PM   #31
crazydave

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfighter View Post
So im getting my car done AFCO Heat exchanger, 160 Tstat, Micro V belt, D3 reservoir, Water Wetter + Water to replace coolant, with a full flush, off road mid pipes instead of cats, 2.4 Pulley with 8.6 Lower , but my guy is telling me i need to get a 2.5 because this is too much boost chart said it was ok but let me know what you guys think, and reinforced cooler insider the SC upgrade, + Re-Tune.

Should i change it to a 2.5? Everywhere i look everyone is selling a whole 2.5 not just the pulley for the Metco hub so it's PITA to try and get it in within 1 - 2 days for the install if i should swap it out.
I would agree with your guy. If you don't have a cam to relieve some of the boost pressure or E85 or race gas to add octane you will generate so much heat under boost that your tuner will have to pull a bunch of timing and you will make less power than a smaller pulley combo. I think your blower will survive with the stock RPM range with that combo, lots of guys are running the 2.5 9.1/9.55 combos, but that's also with Heads/cam and/or E85. Remember the brick in the SC is the weakest cooling link, not the HX in front of the radiator. Your AFCO will help with recovery when not under boost, but it will not be enough to keep up with the heat generated from the amount of boost that you will generate. I just think you will make too much heat and less power than a smaller combo.
Current Mods: Rotofab CAI, Big Gulp, and Res. ATI Superdamper and 10" Lower, DSX FF Sensor, DSX Aux Fuel Pump, ID850s, Kooks 1 7/8" Headers, Forced Induction Interchiller, McLeod RTX Twin disk. DSX Tuned. Running on 20" MT ET Street SS on stock wheels for the strip.

Best 1/4 mile to date:10.81 @130.43 mph w/ 1.61 60'

Just added: Jokerz Stage II blower port and FI Interchillers blower lid spacer.
crazydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:19 PM   #32
Hellfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydave View Post
I would agree with your guy. If you don't have a cam to relieve some of the boost pressure or E85 or race gas to add octane you will generate so much heat under boost that your tuner will have to pull a bunch of timing and you will make less power than a smaller pulley combo. I think your blower will survive with the stock RPM range with that combo, lots of guys are running the 2.5 9.1/9.55 combos, but that's also with Heads/cam and/or E85. Remember the brick in the SC is the weakest cooling link, not the HX in front of the radiator. Your AFCO will help with recovery when not under boost, but it will not be enough to keep up with the heat generated from the amount of boost that you will generate. I just think you will make too much heat and less power than a smaller combo.

Well im running a 8.6 not a 9.1, so i guess ill try tomorrow to see if i can just find a pulley that can be expedite shipped here thats a 2.5" to go with my 8.6, i run headers and 3" stainless works all the way as is, 850 ID upgraded plugs and wires as well. Yeah he was telling me he pretty much would have to put a rev limiter on my car..

as far as gas goes, im not on corn juice nor do i want to right now, can barely find stations here so not convenient at all, and he was saying meth kits but im trying to stick to just regular 91 octane , and cam in future, just haven't really figured out type of cam i would want that's good for DD and can give it more power, but not as aggressive to where its dying in traffic.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:19 AM   #33
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Well im running a 8.6 not a 9.1, so i guess ill try tomorrow to see if i can just find a pulley that can be expedite shipped here thats a 2.5" to go with my 8.6, i run headers and 3" stainless works all the way as is, 850 ID upgraded plugs and wires as well. Yeah he was telling me he pretty much would have to put a rev limiter on my car..

as far as gas goes, im not on corn juice nor do i want to right now, can barely find stations here so not convenient at all, and he was saying meth kits but im trying to stick to just regular 91 octane , and cam in future, just haven't really figured out type of cam i would want that's good for DD and can give it more power, but not as aggressive to where its dying in traffic.
I would strongly recommend against this pulley combo on 91 octane.

This pulley combo is 31%, we don't recommend more than 18% on pump gas stock cam.

Also your stock fuel pump can't keep up even with a boost a pump.

At 28% we see fuel pressure drop with a JMS fuel pump voltage booster putting 17.5 volts in the FPCM.

If I were you I would just replace my 8,66 with an 9.1 or 18% crank pulley with your off road pipes, add a FPVB and retune.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:48 AM   #34
Hellfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
I would strongly recommend against this pulley combo on 91 octane.

This pulley combo is 31%, we don't recommend more than 18% on pump gas stock cam.

Also your stock fuel pump can't keep up even with a boost a pump.

At 28% we see fuel pressure drop with a JMS fuel pump voltage booster putting 17.5 volts in the FPCM.

If I were you I would just replace my 8,66 with an 9.1 or 18% crank pulley with your off road pipes, add a FPVB and retune.

Ted.
Not sure what FPVB is, but I got a 2.5 coming in on Friday and stalled will this 8.6 lower and that's what I'll be riding on until my guess would be next install a meth kit that they recommended down the road with fuel pump upgrade.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:03 PM   #35
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Not sure what FPVB is, but I got a 2.5 coming in on Friday and stalled will this 8.6 lower and that's what I'll be riding on until my guess would be next install a meth kit that they recommended down the road with fuel pump upgrade.
JMS fuel pump voltage booster
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:55 PM   #36
Hellfighter

Thanks Ted, but i think ill be going with the meth kit , J-Rods shop recommends, he ran the same combo thought his was a 9.1 lower, but the Alky + tank meth kit, for higher octane, and anything else required for it like the IAT sensors etc.