Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 12-22-2009, 07:25 AM   #29
FirstLSK
Dude, I love my car !!!!

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS white rally
This is awesome. If you can make the finished product have the right afterburner glow then you gain instant hero status.

Subscribed.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:04 AM   #30
2 Yoshi 0 Stergo 1 rs 0
driving since 5/13/09

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS S.I.M.
i want these lights how can i get them if you guys know plz pm or message me
2 Yoshi 0 Stergo 1 rs 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:32 AM   #31
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
This thread was pretty cool too, IMVHO:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49832

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:01 AM   #32
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjopks View Post
http://jalopnik.com/photogallery/2010camrear/1002900652

"The car is pretty wide and the taillights are out at the corners, but they're not as deep as they were on the concept car, a decision driven primarily by sheetmetal and trunk space. On the concept you can make those cans two-feet deep but someone who owns the car doesn't want that."
Don't know who wrote that, but it's wrong. (Typical coming from JAlopyNick)It's an optical illusion, they're not deep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOTZILLA View Post
I likes dat.

But really.

How do I get 6" flames to shoot outta my rear end??
Shove a flame thro..... Nevermind

I think the "Light behind a half-moon" idea is headed in the right direction, but tail light lenses are hundreds of little lenses. The production car lense was changed, so you'll never get it exact unless you do something with it also... Maybe diffuse the outer edge more.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:35 AM   #33
GraphixJunkie
Kneel before Zod

Drives: 1998 Silverado & 2013 Focus ST
Maybe the repeated impact/abuse would have been too great, but why didn't GM just mount the tail lights to the trunk and have the opening below the lights? Yeah you would have to alter the trunk opening line over to the rear fender, but that way you could make them as deep as you want and actually make the rear end of this car look as good as the concept. On top of that, it would actually GREATLY increase the size of the trunk opening which now seems mostly effected by the light housings being in the way. I dunno, just a thought. Keep up the good work though, I had completely forgotten how cool the concept's were. They kinda botched that along with the "oops, we forgot backup lights" debacle.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:46 AM   #34
blaksabb

Drives: 2001 Camaro SS T-Top 6spd, Bla
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOTZILLA View Post
I likes dat.

But really.

How do I get 6" flames to shoot outta my rear end??

Taco Bell.
blaksabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:04 AM   #35
jojolax36

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss/rs
In order to make this happen, you would need some sort of double cone, double light system. the outer cone would be lit when no brakes are on, and the inner cone would light if the brakes were hit.
|\
|\\
| \\
| //
|//
|/

Best I can do with my keyboard, but hopefully you get the idea. The vertical line is the lens, and each angled line is a cone, the light on the outer cone cannot get to the inner cone and only shows up as the "afterburner". The inner cone will light up when the brakes are hit. There is no need for tinting the lens and the light will be fluent throughout the tailamp.

Oh, now someone else go and make it cause I dont have time and my camaro is in storage.
jojolax36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:49 AM   #36
jfclavel

Drives: 2005 Chevrolet Colorado LS
the way the concept model looks like it appears that it has a light within a light, and instead of having a have moon shape it has like a dark half ring, the inner light turn on while the outer light turn off and vice versa maybe??? just a thought...
Old 12-22-2009, 12:29 PM   #37
The Black Stig

Drives: almost
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
This thread was pretty cool too, IMVHO:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49832
Yeah... Also i'm the stig.

Last edited by The Black Stig; 12-22-2009 at 01:06 PM.
The Black Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:18 PM   #38
bolteon593

Drives: 2011 GT500
having a go at it...

well, since i just got let go at my comfy 6-figure+ job yesterday... i've got some time today as i search for my next job.

so i got to thinking, i could totally tear this apart and find a way to make the afterburn effect work. a few jobs ago, i worked with a company that had the cad data to all GM vehicles on hand; so i've spent some time with the rear lenses of the concept...

so here's what i've come up with so far:

- the concept had something similar to what we see in the production car, but the main difference is that there were led's that were being used on a flat board that were the main brake lights. the design was pretty similar on the production version but due to costs the depth of the cans had to change as well as the removal of the led's and replacement by a sing bulb.

- the production version had a lens put in that mimics the look of the led's buy dispersing the single bulb into what looks like a honeycomb effect thus getting 80% of the look without the cost.

- the idea of blacking out a section of the internal lense is a set in the right direction... the issue being that the opposite side of the black out (the one facing the bulb) needs to be chromed out as there's isn't enough light boucing around within the can to get the amount of diffused light around to where it needs to be.

- the best solution would be to take the assembly and remove the upper lens over (the issue being that it's fused to the can so that it's water proof) and overlay a led pcb bored with a chrome back right onto the dimpled lenses; wire the led's into the higher voltage of the main bulb (for brakes lights) and tada.... afterburners.

- as a test i cut up some heavy set black cloth i had to see if i could get the ring mimic'd... seems to work well but again, the back side of it needs to be reflective so as to get more light around the black out; giving the afterburner effect when combined with the core right of light.

- oddly enough, due to the tinting on the lense, a non-RS car will have a better time show casing the darkened out inner lense as the outter lense on RS cars is tinted down and wont show as much of the light spill around the blackout.

- anyone have a spare taillight can? i can open it up and see about getting it reattached once the proper led array's been put in place and linked ito the wiring harness.

----

and now some images:

blacked out light on left, regular tail lights...

same, with the brake lights on...

a close up of the blacked out taillight...

the cloth blackout (really simple)...

and a quick diagram of how the final product could work...

and a quick hd video of the effect as it currently stands...

http://vimeo.com/8336485

----

again, this is some first steps; there's more that needs to be done to achieve the look were all going for but till then i need someone to get me a spare taillight can!
bolteon593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:18 PM   #39
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Stig View Post
Yeah... Also i'm the stig.
LMAO - I'm actually The Stig's Fat American Cousin, but that doesn't fit

I like the posts about future integration; that would be cool. I wonder how much of it is in the lens itself, because C6 taillights kinda' remind me of the afterburners a little. I like the AAC ones the best so far, but I can't see all the pics' from this computer; I'll have to look when I get home

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:32 PM   #40
Johnny Camaro

Drives: 13 ZL1vert,19 ZL1 vert A10 10/24/18
When you guys are finished whit those nice lights.
Start working on those MAGNIFICANT exhausttips too !!!! I need them on my Maro.
Johnny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:08 PM   #41
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Here is a new pic of the after afterburner part not to bright in the day but more than you need at night,
Attached Images

2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:41 PM   #42
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Just my thoughts on the matter. The original bulb is a 3157k bulb. That is a dual filament bulb.

Maybe you could replace it with a 3156k bulb and then wire in the afterburner with white EL wire?

The white El wire could be shaped in the afterburner shape, while the 3156 will light up the housing when the brakes are on.

Another thought is what about chambering off the housing into two parts. Use 3156 for the brake light and a 194 bulb for the bottom portion. If you bent a piece of metal to fit in there and it might actually accomplish this.

Now I guess I'll need to look at the tail light fixtures to see if this can actually be done.

Last edited by skuttduck; 12-22-2009 at 03:01 PM.
skuttduck is offline   Reply With Quote