Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 02-15-2011, 10:29 PM   #1
camaroSS_and_proud

Drives: hot camaro
i can beat a mustang 2011 with my L99 with this tools?

hi guyz i have l99 camaro 2010 with jba short header and volant air intake i have a chance to beat AT MUSTANG 2011?
camaroSS_and_proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:33 PM   #2
TT Sedan

Drives: 335i
Yes drivers race
TT Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:09 PM   #3
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
is it going to be a rolling race, drag race. and what transmission is the stang
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:13 AM   #4
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Drives: S.I.M. SS
Nah you'd still loss; stock the L99's are at least 30 to 40rwhp down from the LS3s, you gonna need a little more. Like "long tube headers, exhaust, CAI, and a tune" to wrap it up. THEN you'd probably beat the 5.0. Drivers race on the strip, but L99 all the way-from a roll.

Been there done that.
*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
**Result**: 465rwhp/ 447rwtq. Satisfied.
Mr CLuTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:42 AM   #5
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Sedan View Post
Yes drivers race

Numbers don't mean sh_t once the rubber meets the road.

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:43 AM   #6
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post

*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
Old 02-16-2011, 03:59 AM   #7
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr CLuTcH View Post
Nah you'd still loss; stock the L99's are at least 30 to 40rwhp down from the LS3s, you gonna need a little more. Like "long tube headers, exhaust, CAI, and a tune" to wrap it up. THEN you'd probably beat the 5.0. Drivers race on the strip, but L99 all the way-from a roll.

Been there done that.
I don't know why you always say that. The L99 is just as quick if not quicker to 60MPH than a LS3 and a LS3 is not much quicker to the quarter mile. A few mods on a L99 and it is just as quick as the LS3.

Drivers race.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:23 AM   #8
SWAT 79

Drives: 2005 Cadillac CTS
Probably not no. You could take a 2010, but not a 2011, auto or stick.
SWAT 79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:24 AM   #9
BlaSSt Off

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom692010 View Post
Tell that to someone who has a LS3 launch down pat. Auto take no talent. You can stop talking now.....
They gotta convince themselves the auto was a good choice some how right?
BlaSSt Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:48 AM   #10
1bad65
Banned

Drives: 2007 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
I disagree. If the guy with the faster car drives as good or better than the guy with the slower car, the faster car always wins. The only way for the slower car to win is if the driver out-drives the guy in the faster car. That's one reason I love racing faster cars than mine, if I win I know I was the better driver.
1bad65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:54 AM   #11
macwest

Drives: 10 Camaro 2SS/RS, 70 Cuda, 71 Cuda
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAT 79 View Post
Probably not no. You could take a 2010, but not a 2011, auto or stick.

I disagree both are evenly matched cars stock for stock. Comes down to driver. However, if the mustang owner bought the track pack 3.73 gears, suspension upgrade... then they would have the advantage.
macwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:32 PM   #12
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
I don't know why you always say that. The L99 is just as quick if not quicker to 60MPH than a LS3 and a LS3 is not much quicker to the quarter mile. A few mods on a L99 and it is just as quick as the LS3.

Drivers race.
Wow, why do L99 owners have to be such wishful-thinkers...

I'm not saying what I said about the L99 because I wanted to hurt your feelings, I own the car and race this thing pretty often, a stock L99 isn't faster than a stock LS3, end of story. I had to find that out the hard way, through experience, many times. Sure it hurt my feelings then because it made me feel like I bought the inferior car, but it was the truth, and accepting that fact has allowed me to gauge my cars performance and take the appropriate steps to make it faster.

The L99 IS faster to 60,....transmission/gearing advantage, but in the 1/4 mile, or anything beyond that, equal drivers, the LS3 wins. It's proven. The LS3 traps higher in the quarter, and the L99 has yet to even see the light of the fastest LS3 time of "12.5" while stock. I love my car,....a L99, but I'm just being realistic about what it can do. Go put a stock L99 against a new Mustang 5.0, drag race or from a roll, it'll get crushed, ....it will be several 10ths slower. Put a LS3 against a 5.0 and expect a drivers race.

And funny you bring up mods,.....my car is pretty well modified for what I want to do-go faster/race, and currently, it's entirely faster than a stock LS3 or some even lightly modified ones, but if you slap on the same modifications to an LS3, it will be putting down waay more power to the wheels.

Have you honestly checked out some of the L99 builds around here? Sometimes it makes me wish I did buy the LS3,.....put headers, exhaust, cai, and a tune on the L99 and you'd be close to 400 rwhp, very close,.....put those same mods on a LS3 and you'd be WELL OVER the 400rwhp mark. I believe the L99's weakness lies in it's cam profile and a few other minor things. If this were not the case, it would be easily be putting down similar power to the LS3, not 30-40 hp below it.

But if you put the right cam in a L99, NOW you can make some big power. It's what I had to do,....although I had to go pretty aggressive, the car makes a ridiculous amount of hp for ME to drive around with, it's loud as hell, very fast, and other people love it. Look I'm not putting down the L99, I love it, but I'm just being a realist.

OP, with your current set of modifications, in all honestly I do not think you would beat a stock 5.0, it's just not enough. Get a long tube header system with exhaust, cai, and a tune, -then your ready.
*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
Old 02-16-2011, 01:14 PM   #13
WadeWilson
How U Doin?

Drives: 2014 CTS-V Coupe
Quote:

I'm not saying what I said about the L99 because I wanted to hurt your feelings, I own the car and race this thing pretty often, a stock L99 isn't faster than a stock LS3, end of story. I had to find that out the hard way, through experience, many times. Sure it hurt my feelings then because it made me feel like I bought the inferior car, but it was the truth, and accepting that fact has allowed me to gauge my cars performance and take the appropriate steps to make it faster.

The L99 IS faster to 60,....transmission/gearing advantage, but in the 1/4 mile, or anything beyond that, equal drivers, the LS3 wins. It's proven. The LS3 traps higher in the quarter, and the L99 has yet to even see the light of the fastest LS3 time of "12.5" while stock. I love my car,....a L99, but I'm just being realistic about what it can do. Go put a stock L99 against a new Mustang 5.0, drag race or from a roll, it'll get crushed, ....it will be several 10ths slower. Put a LS3 against a 5.0 and expect a drivers race.

And funny you bring up mods,.....my car is pretty well modified for what I want to do-go faster/race, and currently, it's entirely faster than a stock LS3 or some even lightly modified ones, but if you slap on the same modifications to an LS3, it will be putting down waay more power to the wheels.

Have you honestly checked out some of the L99 builds around here? Sometimes it makes me wish I did buy the LS3,.....put headers, exhaust, cai, and a tune on the L99 and you'd be close to 400 rwhp, very close,.....put those same mods on a LS3 and you'd be WELL OVER the 400rwhp mark. I believe the L99's weakness lies in it's cam profile and a few other minor things. If this were not the case, it would be easily be putting down similar power to the LS3, not 30-40 hp below it.

But if you put the right cam in a L99, NOW you can make some big power. It's what I had to do,....although I had to go pretty aggressive, the car makes a ridiculous amount of hp for ME to drive around with, it's loud as hell, very fast, and other people love it. Look I'm not putting down the L99, I love it, but I'm just being a realist.

OP, with your current set of modifications, in all honestly I do not think you would beat a stock 5.0, it's just not enough. Get a long tube header system with exhaust, cai, and a tune, -then your ready.
Well said. It wasn't until I ported my heads and swapped cams until I really felt my L99 woke up.
WadeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:48 PM   #14
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:

mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote