Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-05-2017, 11:04 AM   #449
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Black1LESS View Post
V6 vs. V8 threads always end up being a pissing contest.
V6 vs. V8, SS vs ZL1, 5th gen vs 6th gen, 1st gen vs all gens, Camaro vs. Mustang vs. Challenger, Religion, Sports, Politics, etc etc etc.

Any time any topic forces or lures another party into defense of something they're passionate about, it will end in a pissing match.

Here's a better way for EVERYONE to look at this nonsensical debate.

We're in an AMAZING period. Why do I say amazing? Typically, you had to fork out a lot of coin for a top tier car to get any reasonable performance. LS3, LS1, LT1, L98 (and skip anything from the mid-late 70's because, ick.). The V6's from those eras & generations didn't inspire much of anything. They were clearly for the sake of offering a more cost effective, efficient power plant. Let's not even bring up the joke of the Iron Duke.

Fast foward to the 5th gen. The LLT had it's shortcomings but the LFX was solid. Both brought an influx of aftermarket support and suddenly we had an entirely new subsection of the enthusiast group. This helps propel the entire Camaro line forward via increased sales and interest. We have surprising standouts doing some very inspiring things to the platform. Even better. More options, more choices, more sales, more volume. Good good good good good.

Fast forward some more to the 6. The LGX is even more potent and aftermarket support is incoming. Add to this, GM recognizing the demand and bringing a legitimate competition trim to the V6 line instead of just offering suspension and brake upgrade kits after the fact.

Expand even further and now we have a legitimately viable turbo 4. Is it reviewed as lackluster and simply inserted in the market as a shitbox alternative afterthought for the eco/budget conscious crowd? No. It's being touted as impressive.

I don't need to speak on the SS or ZL1. They speak for themselves as the top tier and are geared specifically to do what they do best, and they certainly trump all standards for performance that were set before them.

Seriously... when have we as Camaro owners and enthusiasts ever been in a time like this with so much diversity and options for all levels of buyers and budgets? It's absolutely f'ing brilliant.

We're all brothers and sisters at one giant dysfunctional Thanksgiving. Drive what you want, throw as much money as you can stand to lose at it (because none of us will ever see any monetary return on those investments regardless of trim), and enjoy the hell out of it. These times won't last forever.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:05 AM   #450
14Black1LESS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMadeYouReadThis View Post
So basically your point is the V6 is not good enough to put in the Camaro you're still going on about the turbo 4.

I don't know what to tell you man I gave you links from GM I gave you links from Ward the V6 is quite good I can't change your mind on it that's fine.

I'm glad you liked my comment on your avatar the screaming girl seems perfect for you
Where did you see in any of my comments that I said the V6 is not good enough for the Camaro?!?!? Once again, twisting words. The only reason I ever mentioned the I4 was because you brought it up. I seriously think you have a problem keeping me and Risky Justice apart yet you keep quoting me.

Good for you for posting links. Now if you could only learn how to read what I actually wrote about V6's.

Yea, I like it when a girl screams. I'm sure that will get twisted around too, but oh well.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:07 AM   #451
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
Sometimes when Im alone, I like to curl up on the kitchen counter and pretend Im a potato.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:09 AM   #452
14Black1LESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpskinzhut View Post
V6 vs. V8, SS vs ZL1, 5th gen vs 6th gen, 1st gen vs all gens, Camaro vs. Mustang vs. Challenger, Religion, Sports, Politics, etc etc etc.

Any time any topic forces or lures another party into defense of something they're passionate about, it will end in a pissing match.

We're in an AMAZING period. Why do I say amazing? Typically, you had to fork out a lot of coin for a top tier car to get any reasonable performance. LS3, LS1, LT1, L98 (and skip anything from the mid-late 70's because, ick.). The V6's from those eras & generations didn't inspire much of anything. They were clearly for the sake of offering a more cost effective, efficient power plant. Let's not even bring up the joke of the Iron Duke.

Fast foward to the 5th gen. The LLT had it's shortcomings but the LFX was solid. Both brought an influx of aftermarket support and suddenly we had an entirely new subsection of the enthusiast group. This helps propel the entire Camaro line forward via increased sales and interest. We have surprising standouts doing some very inspiring things to the platform. Even better. More options, more choices, more sales, more volume. Good good good good good.

Fast forward some more to the 6. The LGX is even more potent and aftermarket support is incoming. Add to this, GM recognizing the demand and bringing a legitimate competition trim to the V6 line instead of just offering suspension and brake upgrade kits after the fact.

Expand even further and now we have a legitimately viable turbo 4. Is it reviewed as lackluster and simply inserted in the market as a shitbox alternative afterthought for the eco/budget conscious crowd? No. It's being touted as impressive.

I don't need to speak on the SS or ZL1. They speak for themselves as the top tier and are geared specifically to do what they do best, and they certainly trump all standards for performance that were set before them.

Seriously... when have we as Camaro owners and enthusiasts ever been in a time like this with so much diversity and options for all levels of buyers and budgets? It's absolutely f'ing brilliant.

We're all brothers and sisters at one giant dysfunctional Thanksgiving. Drive what you want, throw as much money as you can stand to lose at it (because none of us will ever see any monetary return on those investments regardless of trim), and enjoy the hell out of it. These times won't last forever.
Well said.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:17 AM   #453
IMadeYouReadThis

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 6M / 11 GMC Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpskinzhut View Post

Nice way of putting it brother.
IMadeYouReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:17 AM   #454
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Norm I don't know what you're driving but your picture looks like it's something fairly slow what's that old Beast doing 0 to 60 in my friend. I don't even know what this conversation has to do with you I bet you I can take that Mustang it with my 6 cylinder and I bet you it handles horribly. But I do stand by what I said if you're spending an extra $10,000 to get the V8 I surely do hope you use it. Because to me and everyone has an opinion Norm even though you like to go and cherry pick what you're trying to post here but it's okay you're backing up your bro. But to me 0 - 60 and 5.1 seconds is enough for the street. I would appreciate it Norm if you're going to continue on this thread can you post up your car specs cuz if you're going to talk you might as well talk about what you drive
Zero to 60 is not what my car or my driving is about, so I really don't know what mine would do in that particular test.

My own "hardest acceleration" normally occurs from about 50 on up, starting in 3rd gear (2nd barely gets me to 60). Supposedly its engine has about 315 HP and 325 ft*lbs at the crank - you've got about 20 more HP up top but I've got over 40 ft*lbs more torque a thousand rpm lower than where your torque peak is . . . so my 'relaxed acceleration with the V8' comment applies even here.

If I was to buy a new 'toy' - regardless of whether it ended up being a Camaro or another Mustang, it would still have a NA V8 for the reasons I gave previously. It would even if I didn't plan on tracking it.

There was no point in me picking up on your V6 vs turbo-4 or other items when it was only the "old guys bragging about simply having the V8" that mattered to me . . . as age 70 fast approaches.

You might be interested to know that in my car's preceding state of (overall) development I have run lap times at my home track that are competitive with 5th gen LS3-powered Camaros (by some pretty good drivers). You of all people ought to see that as a moral victory for the lower-powered car.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 09-05-2017 at 11:29 AM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:18 AM   #455
IMadeYouReadThis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Black1LESS View Post
Well said.

Bro. Me and you are good I do not want to continue on with the Camaro on Camaro crime.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:20 AM   #456
IMadeYouReadThis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Zero to 60 is not what my car or my driving is about, so I really don't know what mine would do in that particular test.

My own "hardest acceleration" normally occurs from about 50 on up, starting in 3rd gear (2nd barely gets me to 60). Supposedly its engine has about 315 HP and 325 ft*lbs at the crank - you've got about 20 more HP up top but I've got over 40 ft*lbs more torque down lower in the rpm range normally used in street driving than where your torque peak is . . . so my 'relaxed acceleration with the V8' comment applies even here.

If I was to buy a new 'toy' - regardless of whether it ended up being a Camaro or another Mustang, it would still have a NA V8 for the reasons I gave previously. It would even if I didn't plan on tracking it.

There was no point in me picking up on the V6 vs turbo-4 or other items when it was only the "old guys bragging about simply having the V8" that mattered to me as age 70 fast approaches.

You might be interested to know that in my car's preceding state of (overall) development I have run lap times at my home track that are competitive with 5th gen LS3-powered Camaros (and some pretty good drivers). You of all people ought to see that as a moral victory for the lower-powered car.

Norm
Norm. I have always liked reading what you post. Your car is nice man. Camaro 5 and now 6 is lucky to have you .
Old 09-05-2017, 11:21 AM   #457
14Black1LESS

Quote:
Bro. Me and you are good I do not want to continue on with the Camaro on Camaro crime.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:33 PM   #458
Ambush
Rawr!

Drives: Giulia Quadrifoglio, C8 Stingray
Having owned a 2014 Camaro V6RS and now a 2018 V8SS, here are some personal comparisons and feedback:

The V6 you can drive HARD, and not worry (too much) about getting yourself into trouble.
It's pure fun to push the car on edge.

The V8 is an absolute beast, and the noise it makes is intoxicating.

Ideally, I'd own two cars. A V6 convertible and a V8 daily driver.

Retired:
2018 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
2014 Crystal Red Camaro RS
Ambush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:25 AM   #459
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambush View Post
Having owned a 2014 Camaro V6RS and now a 2018 V8SS, here are some personal comparisons and feedback:

The V6 you can drive HARD, and not worry (too much) about getting yourself into trouble.
It's pure fun to push the car on edge.

The V8 is an absolute beast, and the noise it makes is intoxicating.

Ideally, I'd own two cars. A V6 convertible and a V8 daily driver.

You must have had the A6. With the manual, you can get into illegal trouble in 2nd gear! No doubt the V8 is a beast, but it's a pity you can't really use all the power on the street.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:27 AM   #460
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
Old 09-06-2017, 10:55 AM   #461
Cameron27

Drives: 2015 2SS

Last edited by Cameron27; 06-06-2019 at 10:31 PM.
Cameron27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:46 AM   #462
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloknight6 View Post
Got my 2016 2SS loaded for 34k OTD with 8k miles on it. Its in your budget. get the 2ss, get it used.
Smart!! Op why lose $5-10K when you drive off the lot.