Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 02-02-2012, 09:32 AM   #1
SSAINT

Drives: "11 2SS/RS VR vert BG/BG SW stripes
New top problem after "repair"???

Although I follow the top problem threads here daily to see if the "permanant" GM fixed has been released, I don't post much regarding the issue. I feel like its kinda beating an almost dead horse. Yeah I paid over $40k for the car. No, i'm not rich but it's not my only vehicle. Yeah, I would have expected more from the newly resurrected G.M. and yes, I think they should have done more testing on the tops before release. Finally, I really don't think that these problems could possibly be limited to the "few" of us here who constantly bitch about it.
Back in December I brought the car in to the closest dealer to me due to the 5th bow breaking. They decided that while they were replacing the 5th bow, they might as well do the whole top replacement because I had mentioned the rub marks previously and they had smoothed down the pointy bracket that we all thought was the problem early on. My intention was to wait until the mythic and legendary permanant solution was released before I got a new top. Fast forward to this week when it was pushing 60 degrees. I got some top down time in, I guess about 30 or 40 miles, and noticed when I closed the top there was a new issue. The top behind the rear passenger window was loose. There is a plastic ridge at the edge of the top that gets tucked into into the rubber weather stripping behind the rear passenger window and it came out of the stripping. The driver's side was nice and tight but on the passenger side behind the rear window, I could push the roof in about 6 inches.
Brought it in today and in about an hour it was "fixed". When I tried cycling the rear windows they were both sticky. When using the express up on the rear passenger window, as soon as it got to the top, it cycled back down on it's own....over and over again. The rear driver's window strains to open and close. Both windows had no problems before this current repair. Soooo, the tech and advisor came out so I can show them the problem and they screw around with the stripping for awhile and can't fix it. The advisor says they will order new weather stripping. The tech says he doesn't think thats what the problem is. I suggested they contact G.M. for their recommendation. The answer is, insert imagined drumroll here, new weather stripping on order! He did say that they would contact G.M. for guidance. The good news is, drumroll again, NO RUB MARKS!!! yet.
SSAINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:16 AM   #2
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
This has happened to a few people on here, you need a new top.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
SSAINT

No doubt...I hadn't heard of anyone with this problem. Would be nice to hear a definative answer from The General.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:10 AM   #4
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
I have the same thing on both sides on my new top. The plastic piece is supposed to slide in not clip. It broke so now you and I need a new top. In case anyone doesn't know what it looks like I have put 2 pictures up of both sides for reference. This is not normal. Don't let the dealer or anyone tell you so.
Attached Images

"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:45 AM   #5
SSAINT

Yup, that's it
Old 02-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #6
95birdible

Sorry to hear but you now need another top.
"Green Flash"
Old 02-02-2012, 01:36 PM   #7
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
Ugh! More good news!

New tops breaking, replacement tops breaking, bows, weather stripping, wear marks, window regulators... the list goes on and on...

And this is all within the first 12 months of production... wonder what these cars are going to be like in another 24 months after the warranty's gone... will a "healthy" car finally break after 3 yrs...

Taking my wife's Rogue in for routine service this weekend... gonna put the "Z" bug in her ear...jumping ship in a yr or 2!
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #8
95birdible

What is funny is the Chevy Field rep and the dealer service manager say this is normal wear and tear. No it isn't. Chevrolet is telling the dealers false info and my Chevy rep is saying that the dealerships are saying it is normal wear and tear. It is like a vicious revolving circle. Nobody know's what the hell is going on except us owners. We know it isn't normal. The only way I hate to say to get this problem resolved is to start Lemon Law on the cars. If they have many sitting cause they now have a Lemon title, cannot sell, and are only good for parts they may finally wake up. Parts and warranty issues are a write off. The only thing they really have to pay is the labor at the dealerships.
"Green Flash"
Old 02-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #9
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
This whole topic is intriguing.

Edit: I feel bad that this happened and I am hoping that the modifications will be pursued to fix all of the cars.

I'm sure they are working on a good solid fix to the problem.

Last edited by 2001ragtop; 02-03-2012 at 04:12 PM.
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:34 PM   #10
95birdible

Time to stop over here.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/226942550693692/
"Green Flash"
Old 02-04-2012, 09:00 AM   #11
Lightrider

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 Hurst Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago77 View Post
.. gonna put the "Z" bug in her ear...jumping ship in a yr or 2!
Z as in Zl-1, Z-06, Nissan Z? Just curious.

Sorry to hear that after all the mods you've done...
Lightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:21 AM   #12
SSAINT

I guess maybe I have more patience than some folks here or am not as hot as some because its winter and not top down weather. So far I have not gotten any B.S. about my problem being normal wear or even worse, somehow my fault. I honestly believe G.M. will figure out all these top problems and will warranty all claims. I have not even thought about lemon laws and wont go on face book as I feel its an enormous waste of time and causes far more trouble than its worth, (facebook that is, not our top problems) sorry, just my opinion. Maybe I'm just jealous of Zuckerberg who's going to be one of the richest bastards in the world when it goes public.
Anyway, I think we all have to take a breath and try to be patient. I P.M.ed FBODFATHER and although he did not give me any specifics, he assured me that the problems will be fixed and G.M. will stand behind their product and warranty the problems. I dont know where that leaves the folks whos dealers and field reps are saying that the problems are caused by the owner or normal wear. I almost forgot, Scott also recommended NOT getting a top replacement until they figure out a true fix...which was my original intention before my dealer "helped me out" by replacing the top.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:22 AM   #13
Big Kid

Drives: 2011 Camaro convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSAINT View Post
Although I follow the top problem threads here daily to see if the "permanant" GM fixed has been released, I don't post much regarding the issue. I feel like its kinda beating an almost dead horse. Yeah I paid over $40k for the car. No, i'm not rich but it's not my only vehicle. Yeah, I would have expected more from the newly resurrected G.M. and yes, I think they should have done more testing on the tops before release. Finally, I really don't think that these problems could possibly be limited to the "few" of us here who constantly bitch about it.
Back in December I brought the car in to the closest dealer to me due to the 5th bow breaking. They decided that while they were replacing the 5th bow, they might as well do the whole top replacement because I had mentioned the rub marks previously and they had smoothed down the pointy bracket that we all thought was the problem early on. My intention was to wait until the mythic and legendary permanant solution was released before I got a new top. Fast forward to this week when it was pushing 60 degrees. I got some top down time in, I guess about 30 or 40 miles, and noticed when I closed the top there was a new issue. The top behind the rear passenger window was loose. There is a plastic ridge at the edge of the top that gets tucked into into the rubber weather stripping behind the rear passenger window and it came out of the stripping. The driver's side was nice and tight but on the passenger side behind the rear window, I could push the roof in about 6 inches.
Brought it in today and in about an hour it was "fixed". When I tried cycling the rear windows they were both sticky. When using the express up on the rear passenger window, as soon as it got to the top, it cycled back down on it's own....over and over again. The rear driver's window strains to open and close. Both windows had no problems before this current repair. Soooo, the tech and advisor came out so I can show them the problem and they screw around with the stripping for awhile and can't fix it. The advisor says they will order new weather stripping. The tech says he doesn't think thats what the problem is. I suggested they contact G.M. for their recommendation. The answer is, insert imagined drumroll here, new weather stripping on order! He did say that they would contact G.M. for guidance. The good news is, drumroll again, NO RUB MARKS!!! yet.
I'm kind of waiting in the wings also. Right now just have the smashed threads that look like cigarette burns.( Dealer put some die on but you can still notice) Had TBS 8/15 done with no further damage.
I'm curious about time and availability to get the beige top? I would think it would be tougher then a black top.