Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 02-08-2010, 12:19 PM   #1
vamoose

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Fog Light Switch???

OK - I am pretty self sufficient so it is tough for me to post this, but I cannot find the fog light switch. I just took delivery of my 2SS w/ the RS package over the weekend and hauled ass home to avoid the snow - so I didn't get a tour of the thing at the dealership. I have read other posts about fog lights, but none tell me how to turn the things on or where the switch is. According to the manual, the DRL's take the place of the fog lights - what the hell does that mean??!! I have fog lights on this thing and they aren't wired??!! My switch has four options from left to right: OFF (to the far left), AUTO, Running Lights, Head Lights. No fog light option anywhere and they don't come on with the running lights or head lights. Is it possible that the factory put the wrong switch in this thing???
vamoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:22 PM   #2
nyycamarogirl
Camaro Girl

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS, SIM M6, 315hp
Send a message via AIM to nyycamarogirl
It means the fog lights are just used as DRLs, you don't have control of when they are on or off. I know you can buy a kit that corrects it though, bfxenon.com
nyycamarogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:24 PM   #3
TommyTSquared

Drives: RSSS
You can turn the switch to the left and it will snap back turing the auto on and off. If the auto is on your DRL will be on. DRL ARE your foglights. From the factory, these lights will not turn on while your headlights are on at night. See the lighting forum where there is a plug and play for that here.

TommyTSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:28 PM   #4
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
also, if you drive an SS, you will never experience FOG. The 2SS camaros can control weather

except for freakin SNOW!!
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:34 PM   #5
Switchin2Chevy

Drives: Currently 2015 Mustang GT manual.
The RS package is equipped with DRL's (Day Running Lights) which will run during the day when your headlights and or halo's are not active. You do not have the option of having them run as fog lights unless there is an aftermarket harness wired in. So technically...there are no foglights. BUT...it is possible to make them be foglights which is fairly easy. AACStyle, has P13W bulbs for the DRLs that are better looking than stock and you can purchase the additional harness for $9.00! hope this helps...
Switchin2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:35 PM   #6
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTSquared View Post
You can turn the switch to the left and it will snap back turing the auto on and off. If the auto is on your DRL will be on. DRL ARE your foglights. From the factory, these lights will not turn on while your headlights are on at night. See the lighting forum where there is a plug and play for that here.

misleading... you DRLs are NOT your fog lights. RS cars do not have fog lights, they have DRLs.

And yes, it can be modified, but becareful not to backfeed your PCM. I am betting 99% of the people who did this mod are backfeeding power to the PCM when the power is running to the "fog lights" jumped off the parking lights (halos). I posted in the DRLs on all the time thread about how to avoid this.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:53 PM   #7
Switchin2Chevy

Drives: Currently 2015 Mustang GT manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post
And yes, it can be modified, but becareful not to backfeed your PCM. I am betting 99% of the people who did this mod are backfeeding power to the PCM when the power is running to the "fog lights" jumped off the parking lights (halos). I posted in the DRLs on all the time thread about how to avoid this.
How do you avoid that..?
Switchin2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:05 PM   #8
zen

Drives: 2011 CTS CPE & 2010 2LT/RS CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchin2Chevy View Post
How do you avoid that..?
Install a "diode" in the line to each DRL.

Here is a link on how to do it the right way:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...&highlight=fog

Make sure the diode is installed in the correct direction.

Last edited by zen; 02-08-2010 at 01:21 PM. Reason: added link
zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:07 PM   #9
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen View Post
Install a "diode" in the line to each DRL.
correct. there is a wiring diagram on the other thread. the inline diode had the be before the jump to the park lamp wires. Its very easy.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:34 PM   #10
vamoose

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Thanks for the quick replies - ok, so I did read the other posts correctly and cannot believe that Chevy would be so stupid. Why would they make it impossible for you to control when and how your fog lights are running?! I will look into one of the available rig jobs out there...
vamoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:53 PM   #11
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamoose View Post
Thanks for the quick replies - ok, so I did read the other posts correctly and cannot believe that Chevy would be so stupid. Why would they make it impossible for you to control when and how your fog lights are running?! I will look into one of the available rig jobs out there...
I think someone mentioned that with HID lights you don't need fog lights so that's why GM made them DRLs.

Anyone know if that is that correct?
Old 02-08-2010, 02:04 PM   #12
zen

Drives: 2011 CTS CPE & 2010 2LT/RS CGM
When headlights are used as DRL's, they operate at a reduced voltage. That is not practical with HID's. Therefore GM used what would normally be fogs as DRL's. Seems like a good alternative since DRL's are required in many States and normally result in a lowere Insurance premium.
zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:31 PM   #13
blaSSt

Drives: 98 SS, 15 COPO, 09 ZR1
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen View Post
Seems like a good alternative since DRL's are required in many States and normally result in a lowere Insurance premium.
No US states mandates DRL's. http://www.iihs.org/research/qanda/drl.html

Quote:
Where are DRLs required? Laws in Canada, Denmark, Finland, Hungary, Iceland, Norway, and Sweden require vehicles to operate with lights on during the daytime. There are two types of laws. Canada's requires vehicles to be equipped with DRLs. The other type of law in effect in Denmark, Finland, Hungary, Iceland, Norway, and Sweden requires motorists to turn on their headlights if their vehicles do not have automatic DRLs. This kind of law applies to drivers only, and vehicles do not have to be specially equipped. In 1972, Finland mandated daytime running lights in winter on rural roads and a decade later made DRLs mandatory year-round. Sweden's law took effect in 1977, Norway's in 1986, Iceland's in 1988, and Denmark's in 1990. Hungary has required drivers on rural roads to operate with vehicle lights on since 1993. Canada requires DRLs for vehicles made after December 1, 1989. No U.S. state mandates DRLs, although some require drivers to operate vehicles with lights on in bad weather.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:37 PM   #14
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
You will never need " fog lights '' again if you have HID.

Relax and enjoy the car.

The life you save may be your own.