Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 02-08-2010, 09:45 PM   #15
MyIBMssRS

Drives: 10 IBM SS RS/14 1500 Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUR72GTO View Post
You will never need " fog lights '' again if you have HID.

Relax and enjoy the car.

The life you save may be your own.
I was upset when I first found out that I couldn't turn the 'fogs' on when the HIDs were on............... Then I drove the car at night and realized how much better life was with HIDs! Especially when you flick on the high beams! Fogs? What fogs?!
MyIBMssRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:40 AM   #16
Big Brunsy

Drives: 2010 supercharged LS3
The only reason I didn't go for an RS is because of the fact that the fog lights wouldn't come on at night....I now wish I would have gotten one since there is an adapter to correct that problem....grrrr
Big Brunsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:45 AM   #17
zen

Drives: 2011 CTS CPE & 2010 2LT/RS CGM
The reason fog lights are down low is because generally there is no fog at lower levels above the road and the fogs are in clear air. When head lights are used in a fog situation they generally do not provide good visibility because of the distortion caused by the fog. Doesn't matter what kind of headlight you have.
zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:57 AM   #18
MacTruck

Drives: Camaro RS
I drove home in a blizzard when I got my camaro. The lack of fogs was evident as I could not see the lines on the road, or the road for that matter. All I could see was the light shining on the snow falling. I think fogs would have helped me there.
MacTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:05 PM   #19
hpenk

Drives: Black 2LT
Fog lights are ... fog lights.

Fog lights are always mounted low because by mounting them low you are changing the angle of the light that is reflected from the particles in the air (snow flakes, fog particles, etc). Regular lights are so close to the line of sight of the driver that the light comes back at a very acute angle. This causes the light from reflected sources (i.e. the particles in the air) to overwhelm the human eye's ability to filter high sources from low sources (i.e. you can't see sh$t ).

Sorry, but it has nothing to do with "less fog near the surface of the road" () or how things are wired. The HID's apparently aren't used as fogs because they (1) are too bright for this application and (2) disperse the light too much from the reflector housing - in other words, they look cool but are less functional than regular old lights (something the HID community will never admit). Imagine that - they actually got the light intensity, angle, and color right 75 years ago and we (and the rest of the planet) still use the same old fillament light bulb to illuminate our roads.

Another type of "fog light" would mount at a very high location, again at a wider angle away from the sight-line of the driver (like those off-road lights on trucks).

I don't know much about cars, but I know optics. Simple physics ... gets you every time guys. I know optics aren't as sexy as electricity and kinematics, but hey, it's a few important chapters in the middle of Halliday and Resnick's Physics book....
hpenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:37 PM   #20
zen

Drives: 2011 CTS CPE & 2010 2LT/RS CGM
Not disagreeing with your analysis other than headlights are in fact wired at a lower voltage when used as DRL's and there is less fog near the surface of the road due to the dew point being affected because of the temperature of the road.
zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:44 PM   #21
Mr Smith
Born again Hot Rodder

Drives: Black 1SS/RS LS3 M6
Whatever the science is, one thing is evident to me..I like having those lights on down low..Can see the road better. I always make it a point to turn on the fogs on my GMC DM when driving at night..Its annoying not to have them on my Camaro.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:25 PM   #22
Ian

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Inferno Orange
Fog/DRL Wiring Harness

Check out Advanced Automotive Concepts, they also have kits and cool Camaro lighting accessories.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:00 PM   #23
WCoolBreeze
2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS, Red Garnet Tint
Go to the "Exterior Parts & Accessories" tread and look for the "New DRL Harness." Member "Fieldgoal00" makes two different DRL Harnesses, one is hard wired (and you can also add a On/Off switch) and the other one is "Remote" there is a price difference between the two. DO NOT get the wiring harness made or sould by "Adaptive," the one made by Fieldgoal00 are much better and he uses a relay instead of diodes. The harness with the diodes have a habit of burning out and causing possible problems for you car. I have one of Fieldgoal00's wireless DRL Harnesses and it is Great.

Walt B.

Gen6, 2016 Camaro 2SS, Red Garnet Tint (with Silver Rally Stripes)

Ordered: 2-12-2016
TPW: 3-7-2016
Built: 3-7-2016
VIN 1G1FH78G0157626
Delivered: 4-26-2016
WCoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:03 PM   #24
thespymaster

Drives: C7 / ZL1 / SS / trucsk
Definately check with AAC.......................
2015 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4
2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD 4x4
thespymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:07 PM   #25
GM's SS
GM got a GM

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
I wish I read this before I spent 30 minutes in the driveway trying to turn on a switch that doesn't exist.
GM
GM's SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:12 PM   #26
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
Join the club............your not alone. Did you find out how to open the gas tank cover lid?
Old 08-04-2011, 08:43 PM   #27
WifesGroceryGetter

Drives: 2011 RS2SS
2011 Different?

I just got the wife a new 2SS and couldn't find the switch either. According to manual, it is the center of the auto light switch. Tried to push the button, but nothing, just to the left and right. Thought I was crazy, and too embarrassed to ask (guy thing) so at the dealership today...I played with one on the sales floor...there is a switch that you push in and out in the middle of the auto control....mine is frozen / broke...button doesn't "push". If the key is "on", and you push the button, it turns on the lower fogs. Wonder how many people have bad switches and spend a lot of time talking about DRL, etc? Maybe the 2011 is different than 2010...not sure...been 25 years since I had a camaro, and this is the first forum I have ever joined. Any 2011 owners let me know how their switch works, would greatly appreciate it.
WifesGroceryGetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:48 PM   #28
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by WifesGroceryGetter View Post
I just got the wife a new 2SS and couldn't find the switch either. According to manual, it is the center of the auto light switch. Tried to push the button, but nothing, just to the left and right. Thought I was crazy, and too embarrassed to ask (guy thing) so at the dealership today...I played with one on the sales floor...there is a switch that you push in and out in the middle of the auto control....mine is frozen / broke...button doesn't "push". If the key is "on", and you push the button, it turns on the lower fogs. Wonder how many people have bad switches and spend a lot of time talking about DRL, etc? Maybe the 2011 is different than 2010...not sure...been 25 years since I had a camaro, and this is the first forum I have ever joined. Any 2011 owners let me know how their switch works, would greatly appreciate it.
2011 is NOT different.

If you have the RS package, you DO NOT have fog lights... sorry, there is no pushing any button and turning on anything. When you turn the car "on" the lower lights come on automatically, they are your daytime running lights. The non-RS cars have them built into the headlamps and they do have fog lights. I just rewired mine. I have total control over them. DRLs are for the birds!

If you do not have the RS package, the button is in the center of the switch.

Easy way to tell... do you have RED SS badges or WHITE. If they are RED, you have the RS... if they are WHITE, you dont... of course there are other ways to tell but this is the simple way... and the headlights will be halo head lights if you have the RS.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote