Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 02-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #771
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangeruss View Post
If the pricing for your builder was more aggressive on the DSS that makes sense...I just knew their retails weren't that far off.
Yeah, but I just know what I had to pay would have been considerably different by the time the gears, driveshaft, and axles were paid for too.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:20 AM   #772
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

Drives: 427 LSX- with TWINS
Location: Back in Michigan!! Do miss ATX and my Tejas friends
Send a message via AIM to Kyle.Gilmour
Quote:
I don't know that much about differentials, but I thought they weren't that far off in price.
yea.. no one at lingenfelter wanted to give me a free one... couldnt believe it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
Out of curiosity, how does a 9" or 12bolt stop the vehicle from squatting down, with lowered springs installed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
It doesn't. The differential in an IRS remains in the same position while the half shafts move in relation to control arm articulation. There is some motion in the differential to the extent the bushings allow, but theoretically the differential doesn't move.

Spring and damping rate control squat in an IRS.
Quote:
So, if I'm understanding the response correctly. The problem may still be apparent with a 9" system unless the vehicle is put back to the original stock stance?
Quote:
If we are talking about half-shaft angle and heat OE ride height or high temp lube are the solutions. With increased RWHP, better brakes and better tires compared to OE I would still opt for repacking OEM shafts with high temp lube even at OE ride height. With aftermarket shafts I would contact the MFG and verify what lube is in my shafts and repack if necessary.
right... from what I understood from Frank... the issue would still be there, but there parts are more tolerant to the issue because of the beefiness of all the part... I think.

i just dont know why some of have this and others not. I only have a 1 inch drop... what about those with a 1.5- 2 inch drop... i would think that would almost instantaneously rip the boots.

or maybe the hp level has something to do with it too. haha.
But Russ had no issues when he was on the stock rear end with high HP... so I am still all

I know when I do get a new rear end.. from whoever... i will ask them to pre-pack it with a synthetic grease.

Also I think Frank mentioned that they now do a more secure banding than when they first started... i may have an earlier set.

Quote:

Completely disagree with most everything in this post...I'll just leave it at that.
which part do you disagree with? Mix-matching vendors?
Old 02-17-2012, 09:26 AM   #773
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

played around on the plane last night re-making this.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:15 AM   #774
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle.Gilmour View Post

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #775
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
yea.. no one at lingenfelter wanted to give me a free one... couldnt believe it!

right... from what I understood from Frank... the issue would still be there, but there parts are more tolerant to the issue because of the beefiness of all the part... I think.

i just dont know why some of have this and others not. I only have a 1 inch drop... what about those with a 1.5- 2 inch drop... i would think that would almost instantaneously rip the boots.

But Russ had no issues when he was on the stock rear end with high HP... so I am still all

I know when I do get a new rear end.. from whoever... i will ask them to pre-pack it with a synthetic grease.

Also I think Frank mentioned that they now do a more secure banding than when they first started... i may have an earlier set.

which part do you disagree with? Mix-matching vendors?
Improper or less than perfect installation may be a big part of the equation in relation to your greasy issue.

I don't think Russ truly understands the auto industry or has a point otherwise he would have posted his point of view.

I'm not an expert but there is one thing I realized when I jumped on this mod bandwagon a few years ago. 1. I know nothing. 2. I've learned alot but still know nothing. 3. But, I do know vendors do not make parts, they just put together kits or packages they will support and install those in your vehicle for a markup and an installation fee.

I looked at his 9.5" from LPE not suprising; The DS can be any number of makes or brands to what LPE call their own but I would guess it's a Hendrix 2pc. deal, or a 1pc from DSS, axles from DSS, centre gears from at least 2 manufacturers, housing from American Axle, and other hardware most likely from manufacturers who specialize in those industries.

So, not sure what was un-agreeable in my post, but seems to me anybody can buy an American Axle housing, put whatever centre they want, and get axles from whomever they want, with a driveshaft from whomever they want as long as it fits and will hold your power, DS is the right angle and you're all good. And, if you can save a few thousand and get equal value and quality it's all good. There is no reason why any installer who's worth his weight in salt on a skills level can't do the research and come up with a package just like DSS, LPE, Hendrix, GForce or any of the other vendors have done as most of the time they "don't make the parts". A good example of this is CAM's, everyone claims to have a this name brand CAM and that name brand CAM when in reality the most CAM's are already sitting on the shelf, or is a custom grind from COMP CAM. Making a product, is not the same as packaging a kit and branding it as your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
Yeah, but I just know what I had to pay would have been considerably different by the time the gears, driveshaft, and axles were paid for too.
DE I'm in so much agreement with you it's not funny. I don't see why I should pay 30-50% more for the same parts because someone put their sticker on it.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:13 AM   #776
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

Quote:
Improper or less than perfect installation may be a big part of the equation in relation to your greasy issue.

I don't think Russ truly understands the auto industry or has a point otherwise he would have posted his point of view.

DE I'm in so much agreement with you it's not funny. I don't see why I should pay 30-50% more for the same parts because someone put their sticker on it.
Maybe it was installation... but I had ARD install the first one, then another mechanic install the new ones up in Michigan. but... hmm... we will see i guess... i wil keep an eye on it.

OH... Russ knows the auto industry.. industry in general. Its part of his job.
he is also one of my good friends... I am sure he will post up his point of view when he gets to it.

I also wondered what he disagreed with... but i didnt question what he knows. SOOO Russ... get your ass out of bed and get on here. hehehe

as for the the mark up and piecing together a kit... I agree with you.. its an option... i have done it already on my car in other areas... sometimes it is just worth it to get the whole sha-bang in one spot... have the shop warranty and lean back and crack a beer.

The DSS is no different form LPE... but because of the name LPE... i think they may have a bit larger % mark up.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:29 AM   #777
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Quote:
I don't think the Lingenfelter kit is the same part at all. I think it's beefier and I'm a bit jealous of Russ' choice! I think he did the right thing for his build. Although I do agree there is a bit of mark up because it says "Lingenfelter" on it.

But, I also think the DSS kit will hold up to my power goals and it was within my budget.

We all have to make trade offs between what we would like to have vs what will actually do the job and we can afford.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:43 AM   #778
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
I don't think the Lingenfelter kit is the same part at all. I think it's beefier and I'm a bit jealous of Russ' choice! I think he did the right thing for his build. Although I do agree there is a bit of mark up because it says "Lingenfelter" on it.

But, I also think the DSS kit will hold up to my power goals and it was within my budget.

We all have to make trade offs between what we would like to have vs what will actually do the job and we can afford.
I don't know if the 9.5" is so much better than a 9" kit just because it's a bigger casing. But, the casing is part of the overall kit. That is my point. Pick your case and or pumpin in some cases 9.5 or 9" put what you want in it.

The consensus form most of the "experts" I've spoke to have the opinion that the 9" is the most popular, compatible, interchangeable, rear on the market because it's been around so long. Is the 12 bolt, 10.5 or 9.5 stronger or better, I don't know for sure, but I don't think a lot of people are using them on their SS's so only time will tell once more people start using them. But, so far I have not seen or heard about anyone busting up a 9" and there are a lot of 1000rwhp. SS's floating around with them installed so I'll just base my opinion on that point alone.

I'd actually like to read Russ' point if he'll post it. I don't mind being wrong or learning something if he as feedback I'm not aware of.

Quote:
Maybe it was installation... but I had ARD install the first one, then another mechanic install the new ones up in Michigan. but... hmm... we will see i guess... i wil keep an eye on it.

he is also one of my good friends... I am sure he will post up his point of view when he gets to it.

I also wondered what he disagreed with... but i didnt question what he knows. SOOO Russ... get your ass out of bed and get on here. hehehe

as for the the mark up and piecing together a kit... I agree with you.. its an option... i have done it already on my car in other areas... sometimes it is just worth it to get the whole sha-bang in one spot... have the shop warranty and lean back and crack a beer.

The DSS is no different form LPE... but because of the name LPE... i think they may have a bit larger % mark up.
I don't know Russ personally, so I'd like to know what he's referring to as well and if he's in the auto industry that's all good perhaps I'll swallow prevous assumption and learn something if he'll reply. I questioned what he knows because he didn't post what he knows that I may not. However, I don't think anything I said was not on point for the most part.

Last edited by calbert1999; 02-17-2012 at 11:56 AM.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:25 PM   #779
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Drives: Camaro LSX
Quote:
It's okay you don't have to agree with any of it but at the very least educate me on where I'm incorrect in my assessment of selecting components for a 9" rear. Otherwise, your dis-agreement doesn't matter.
Quote:

I'm not an expert but there is one thing I realized when I jumped on this mod bandwagon a few years ago. 1. I know nothing. 2. I've learned alot but still know nothing. 3. But, I do know vendors do not make parts, they just put together kits or packages they will support and install those in your vehicle for a markup and an installation fee.

I looked at his 9.5" from LPE not suprising; The DS can be any number of makes or brands to what LPE call their own but I would guess it's a Hendrix 2pc. deal, or a 1pc from DSS, axles from DSS, centre gears from at least 2 manufacturers, housing from American Axle, and other hardware most likely from manufacturers who specialize in those industries.

So, not sure what was un-agreeable in my post, but seems to me anybody can buy an American Axle housing, put whatever centre they want, and get axles from whomever they want, with a driveshaft from whomever they want as long as it fits and will hold your power, DS is the right angle and you're all good. And, if you can save a few thousand and get equal value and quality it's all good. There is no reason why any installer who's worth his weight in salt on a skills level can't do the research and come up with a package just like DSS, LPE, Hendrix, GForce or any of the other vendors have done as most of the time they "don't make the parts". A good example of this is CAM's, everyone claims to have a this name brand CAM and that name brand CAM when in reality the most CAM's are already sitting on the shelf, or is a custom grind from COMP CAM. Making a product, is not the same as packaging a kit and branding it as your own.

It might just be the way I'm reading your posts, but you're kind of coming off like an ass. I posted last night before I left my office, and just got back on. I love Kyle's build thread, but can't live in here.

This wasn't a DSS VS Lingenfelter discussion. This is my friend Kyle's build thread. I was simply reminding him of his options.

I've never once claimed to be an expert, but like you I've learned over the last two years of watching my car being built. I research a lot, and purchase what I want. I may get other opinions, but don't let other people make my decisions for me. As Kyle can tell you, I'm also very good at getting deals on everything I buy.

It's very important to me that my disagreement matters to you, so I'll give you my points so we can get back to Kyle's build.

In your original post I disagreed with your assumption that I'd somehow purchased the 9.5" because it had a Lingenfelter sticker on it. I purchased it because I think it's the most solid rear end out there for our car. I have no loyalty to them, and completely understand that they don't build their components.

I also disagreed that just any good installer can go build this kit.

The center section was designed and built by American Axle, and it's my understanding that Lingenfelter has an exclusive with them for this housing, so Pete's Power Performance can't get them. The housing and center section (w/ gears) come as one unit. I liked the fact that this was custom designed for the Camaro, and wasn't a modified Ford piece.

The axles (and I'm sure the driveshaft) come from DSS. They are also custom built for the housing, and don't think they can be purchased directly from DSS.

I will probably end up making about 1000HP, but I also thought I was going to stop at exhaust. I wanted the most solid rear end I could find, and I still think this is it. If that cost me a few hundred more so be it.

Quote:

Quote:

Kyle...you're killing me.

I don't have anything to do with the auto industry, although I think I spend more time at Owen's shop than my house.

Emma's correct...I don't think the kits are the same, which is why I bought the bigger rear end. Of course there will be some costs differences because they're not using the modified Ford housing. American Axle made a completely new custom tool for our car, and obviously Lingenfelter is going to make some money on it.

At retail the DSS comes with axles and driveshaft for $5K, but the Strange center with gears is another $1.5K. I'm assuming there's only one center, and not more money for other upgrades. TOTAL: $6500.00

The Lingenfelter is 5K, but comes pre-loaded with gears, (in my case 3.73s). It doesn't include the axles or driveshaft. The axles are 1.5K, which puts the price the same as the DSS. The piece that's missing at this point is the driveshaft. If you purchase the 1 piece aluminum from Lingenfelter it's an additional 1K. Instead I had a custom aluminum piece built for me, saving me a lot. At the end of the day it was worth a few hundred dollars for me.

These are only retail comparisons. If DSS has some heavier discounts on their kit, then I completely understand and still think it's a great product.
Dangeruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:25 PM   #780
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
I'm not answering for him but I do remember him saying the LPE 9.5" he purchased is the same that LPE is running in their 8.99 second Camaro.

That's pretty strong
Old 02-17-2012, 12:42 PM   #781
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

Quote:
I love Kyle's build thread, but can't live in here.

Kyle...you're killing me.
yessss... you can.

and.... if i bust anyones balls... it will be yours
Old 02-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #782
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:

We'll find the answer in your reply to these questions.

How many miles are on your half shafts?
How many passes do you have at the strip on your half shafts?
How many hard laps do you have on your half-shafts?
What gears are you running?
What wheel and tire package do you run on the street?
What wheel and tire package do you run at the track?
RWHP? Eleventy-billion?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:02 PM   #783
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

[/COLOR]
Quote:
We'll find the answer in your reply to these questions.

How many miles are on your half shafts?
4k on the first set, 1k after the first repair (not sure if new axels or just new boots... probably new boots only

How many passes do you have at the strip on your half shafts?

How many hard laps do you have on your half-shafts?
3 sessions - 10 min each. the 2nd session was with Rob Stout driving at 110%

What gears are you running?
Original gears in a 6m car
What wheel and tire package do you run on the street?
stock wheels, 315 nitto INVO on the rear

What wheel and tire package do you run at the track?
same

RWHP? Eleventy-billion?
700rear.... .for now
Old 02-17-2012, 01:03 PM   #784
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
[/COLOR]
How fast was Rob behind the wheel?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
427, camaro of the week, detroit, gilmour, texigan, the circle, the mother of all twins