Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 08-05-2017, 10:34 PM   #1
Mark_Z28

Drives: Black 2015 Z28 #457
Harrop ITB intake

Is anyone here running the harrop ITB intake? I'm unfamiliar with this conversion. Does the conversion require transition to stand alone engine management?
Mark_Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:34 AM   #2
POINTBY

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Sorry. But what an ugly setup. It pales in comparison to the BMW S65 ITB.
POINTBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:59 AM   #3
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Z28 View Post
Is anyone here running the harrop ITB intake? I'm unfamiliar with this conversion. Does the conversion require transition to stand alone engine management?
If you look on there site 1 of them is for the LS7, so don't see why it will not work in your car.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 10:30 AM   #4
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
Here you go.....

Name:  IMG_8398.jpg
Views: 3393
Size:  236.8 KB
Moreno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 11:25 AM   #5
mb13

Drives: 2015 Z28 #980
What kind of power gains?
mb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 12:57 PM   #6
Mark_Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreno Motorsports View Post
Here you go.....

Attachment 889511
Thanks for the pic. Any details of the setup? What sort of fuel management? Aggressive cam? Biggest challenges?

My understanding is that you can run a much more aggressive cam without affecting driveability with the ITB setup... is this true?
Old 08-08-2017, 10:18 AM   #7
The_Raging_Bull
Raging Bull Reborn

Drives: '09 CGM Z063LZ '15 RH Z/28 #0631
The ITB Hurricane setup is not a good way to go. Brian Thompson, of Thompson Racing and I had a long talk. Thompson Racing is now part of the Lingenfelter Empire. I was really hot on this for my C6Z06- but after listening to real world issues..I said too bad so sad - not the way to go.

Brian was offering the ITB Hurricane at one point, for like $5,000 as part of a package. The folks at Osmo Engineering do a dual throttle body setup; where they use a second slaved throttle body; slaved to the first throttle body setup. Interesting that Moreno Motorsports posted..why dont you guys post the specs (and more pictures) of the intake setup you posted. Those specifications are worth a thousand pictures.

Anyway long story short.. the ITB was developed in the Down Under. Brian told me that after installing it in several cars he was really disappointed since those cars spent more time in limp home mode than they did running the dyno tune (the tune he installed).

He did say that cammed cars seemed to run better with the extra intake, and had much less to zero bucking with an ITB intake in those cars he presumed due to their ability to have higher CFM air input from those 8 x 59MM throttle bodies on th eITB. I've got to say it reminded me of the old 8 0ne barrel weber intakes for V8's in th e70's. Brian thought ability that might extend to a car with two intakes like the teaser from Moreno. He was talking about very little to no bucking in cam setups like the torquer 116 or the K501 from Katech..only the Ligenfelter versions.

Again teaser shots are cheap; if you guys at Moreno are serious..post the setup of your setup with twin throttle bodies. I'm particularly interested in how you solved the issues of synchronizing the 8 throttle bodies as Ligenfelter Engineering had issues. If that's the case how many times has the ITB setup you show gone into limp home mode. Personally after hearing that bad press from the guy that was their main distributor in the US (at that time)..it makes me leery of ever using that setup.

Short of that the guys at Osmo Engineering are doing the same thing, with twin (larger) slaved throttle bodies, which seems a safer bet to me.

BTW the Mercury Racing SB4 which is a twin throttle body LS7 setup delivers 775 hp, so I'd think a purpose built LS7 with multiple throttle bodies would be able to match that.

Toy 1 '15 RH Z/28 w/AC & Radio S/N 0631
Toy 2 '09 CGM Z06 3LZ
My DD: '17 Ford Mustang GT
Her DD: '14 F150 Ecoboost 3.5
The_Raging_Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:33 PM   #8
Aesthetic Gains
I won the internet once

Drives: 1999 Honda CR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Z28 View Post
Thanks for the pic. Any details of the setup? What sort of fuel management? Aggressive cam? Biggest challenges?

My understanding is that you can run a much more aggressive cam without affecting driveability with the ITB setup... is this true?

ITB's are a massive pain to drive on the street. I would always run into vacuum reservoir issues for my brake booster on a puny Honda Civic I used to have.

I would lean towards a Jenvey unit and have a competent tuner that's familiar with alpha-n, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

You also have to keep runner length in mind. What is your ultimate goal with them? More mid-range? Top end? Throttle response?
Old 08-11-2017, 12:00 PM   #9
Mark_Z28

Guys thanks for the info. Raging you are one step ahead so thanks for letting me in on all that you've researched. It does seem like a cool concept. I'm just used to the power now and wanted a significant boost and wanted to do it without adding weight over the front axles.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:05 AM   #10
FluiX

Drives: Corvette c6 z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Raging_Bull View Post
The ITB Hurricane setup is not a good way to go. Brian Thompson, of Thompson Racing and I had a long talk. Thompson Racing is now part of the Lingenfelter Empire. I was really hot on this for my C6Z06- but after listening to real world issues..I said too bad so sad - not the way to go.
I know this is an old post, but I just stumbled upon it. So I set up my c6 z06 with the Harrop and have no issues. Made the airbox assembly for it to have filtered air and that fits under the low Corvette hood. The new version (this is my 2nd one) has a MAF adapter as well, so I can actually run it with the MAF with perfect signal.

I did synchronize my 8 butterflies with a cheap vacuum gage that used to be used on Weber cars. I stuck into each trumpet at idle to make sure they pull the same vacuum.

To the limp mode, I think that was an issue with the two versions of the throttle servo. So if you had a pre 2009 LS7 ECU then it would not take the Hurricanes that had a post 2009 TPS on it. So Harrop then also started selling the pre 2009 TPS versions. Mine does not go into limp mode.

Here are some pictures and results. I make about 30-40hp everywhere in the RPM range. Also the latest results with the filter box were dyno'd on a 102 Fahrenheit day, so the results would be a little bit better actually.
Attached Images

FluiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:51 AM   #11
hjdca

Drives: 2015 Z/28 Black
Wow, that is impressive ! Congrats ! Fantastic Vette !
hjdca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:04 AM   #12
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
That is a gorgeous setup wow!

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 12:58 PM   #13
aris

Drives: Z/28
Fluix - do you make and sell that intake setup??Lets see some more pics of the car!
aris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 02:07 PM   #14
FluiX

Drives: Corvette c6 z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by aris View Post
Fluix - do you make and sell that intake setup??Lets see some more pics of the car!
Yes indeed, but I probably can't give any more information about that, as I am not a supporting vendor here. Here are some more pictures though. Some of the car and some of the parts in glossy finish.
Attached Images

FluiX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
harrop, itb