Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-30-2018, 02:41 PM   #15
go_go_gadget88

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS ABM 6M
Here is a picture of the brace I used. It goes around to both sides, and seemed to help me keep the tube flange perpendicular to the pump while working it up into place. Would tighten each side a little and keep moving the pump (with gears out), and when it got close, it made a nice little "pop" into place. Then I just ran them up to almost snug, and did the 4 pump bolts before tightening down the tube. I don't "think" it pinched or rolled the o ring..but I guess there's gonna only be one way to find out

10mm flex ratchet wrench was a savior getting these bolts in/out. Even with pan lowered, there isn't much room to work!
2010 ABM 2SS/RS LS3 6 Speed -- Rotofab CAI | Speed Engineering 1 7/8" Longtubes w/ cat Delete | Magnaflow competition catback | TSP 231/246 cam| TSP/PAC .660" Spring Kit | TSP CNC Ported Heads | Bo White PTB | GPI Ported/RM Intake | 3.91's | BC Catch Can | MGW Shifter | BMR 1" Drop Springs | BMR Trailing arms/Toe Rods/Rear UCA Bushings | Pegasus Subframe Mounts
go_go_gadget88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 03:02 PM   #16
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_go_gadget88 View Post
Here is a picture of the brace I used. It goes around to both sides, and seemed to help me keep the tube flange perpendicular to the pump while working it up into place. Would tighten each side a little and keep moving the pump (with gears out), and when it got close, it made a nice little "pop" into place. Then I just ran them up to almost snug, and did the 4 pump bolts before tightening down the tube. I don't "think" it pinched or rolled the o ring..but I guess there's gonna only be one way to find out

10mm flex ratchet wrench was a savior getting these bolts in/out. Even with pan lowered, there isn't much room to work!
Which brace is that? Did you try at all to install the pump without removing the gears ?
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 03:22 PM   #17
go_go_gadget88

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Which brace is that? Did you try at all to install the pump without removing the gears ?

No. With how hard the old one was coming out, I knew I was gonna need all the play I could get to get this one on. Plus I wanted to lube and shim the gears anyhow, and inspect the pump for any manufacturing debris instead of just sticking it on as-is.

Plus, it makes it easier to see the pickup tube going into the pump with gears out of the way. I was actually prying with a little prybar from inside the tube while bolting in and rocking the pump around. Didn't just want to pull the tube up into pump with bolt alone and pinch the o-ring. Seemed to work well, I just went slow and tried to watch everything carefully as this was a first for me.

Here's a link to the one I bought. There are quite a few on ebay and elsewhere. I'm sure they are all pretty much the same.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LS-Billet-O...53.m2749.l2649
2010 ABM 2SS/RS LS3 6 Speed -- Rotofab CAI | Speed Engineering 1 7/8" Longtubes w/ cat Delete | Magnaflow competition catback | TSP 231/246 cam| TSP/PAC .660" Spring Kit | TSP CNC Ported Heads | Bo White PTB | GPI Ported/RM Intake | 3.91's | BC Catch Can | MGW Shifter | BMR 1" Drop Springs | BMR Trailing arms/Toe Rods/Rear UCA Bushings | Pegasus Subframe Mounts
Old 01-30-2018, 03:25 PM   #18
mmaattppllaayy

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS
Really just best to remove the pump gears and pop the tube on by hand. Pulling the tube closer with the bolts is a 50-50 shot that you’ll pinch the oring.
mmaattppllaayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 03:55 PM   #19
go_go_gadget88

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaattppllaayy View Post
Really just best to remove the pump gears and pop the tube on by hand. Pulling the tube closer with the bolts is a 50-50 shot that you’ll pinch the oring.
I had heard that too. That's why I wasn't really using the bolts to pull it so much as to keep the tube from backing out any. I had heard using the bolt alone to bring them together was a surefire way to tear the o ring. But, I couldn't get it by hand alone either. Must have bent the tube down a bit getting old off. Pump kept hitting crank in middle before it was close to tube. The little prybar help keep the tube centered in the pump as I inched it closer with bolts and some wiggling. It made a pretty satisfying little pop when it finally went into place (and put slack in the bolts again, so it slid the rest of the way on it's own), so hopeful it worked! Really though, this was a much bigger pain than I'd have guessed going into it
Old 01-30-2018, 08:36 PM   #20
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_go_gadget88 View Post
No. With how hard the old one was coming out, I knew I was gonna need all the play I could get to get this one on. Plus I wanted to lube and shim the gears anyhow, and inspect the pump for any manufacturing debris instead of just sticking it on as-is.

Plus, it makes it easier to see the pickup tube going into the pump with gears out of the way. I was actually prying with a little prybar from inside the tube while bolting in and rocking the pump around. Didn't just want to pull the tube up into pump with bolt alone and pinch the o-ring. Seemed to work well, I just went slow and tried to watch everything carefully as this was a first for me.

Here's a link to the one I bought. There are quite a few on ebay and elsewhere. I'm sure they are all pretty much the same.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LS-Billet-O...53.m2749.l2649
Nice job! I think you're going to be pretty secure. When you're finished let us know what your pressure is when warm and idling.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 08:53 PM   #21
go_go_gadget88

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Nice job! I think you're going to be pretty secure. When you're finished let us know what your pressure is when warm and idling.
Oh trust me, imma be watching that gauge like a hawk. First sign of trouble I'm shutting her down!!
Old 04-22-2021, 07:25 PM   #22
Kbell99

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaattppllaayy View Post
Sometimes you have to put quite a bit of pressure on the pump to get the tube lined up properly. Sometimes the tube needs to be bent slightly to get it to line up properly, but taking the pump guts out is the best starting point.
I got my pickup tube in and its mounted correctly now, i can’t get the oil pump to its designated bolt holes, how do i go about bending the pickup tube. A little heat do the trick ?
Kbell99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
melling, oil, pickup, pump, tube