Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-16-2011, 01:16 AM   #1
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Modding does not kill motors.

If a motor has a bad lifter, oil pump or other defect it will fail if your grandma owns it and only drives it on Sundays or if you own it and mod the hell out of it. Obviously if you mod it it will put more stress on the part and it may fail quicker but it will still fail in a stock car none the less. I would say that the majority of catastrophic engine failures in these relatively low mile motors are due to defective factory parts. Obviously I am not talking about cars that are extremely modified with power adders and such. I'm talking about moderate mods like intakes, ported heads, a nice cam, exhaust and a GOOD tune. I know that when you open up the motor you can do something that willl adversely affect it but as long as you know what you are doing or have a competent shop do your work you will be fine.

It really seems to me that a large population of 5th gen owners on this site are new to modding cars and so they are easily frightened. They see a few "my engine blew up" threads and they think it's because it was modded. The truth is this is a Camaro enthusiast site and most of the cars on here will be modded. It's all a numbers game, if there is three times as many modded Camaros as stock Camaros on here then just by statistics alone there will be three times as many failures in modded Camaros. That does not in any way mean that you are three times more likely to have a failure if you mod your car. Also, everyone flocks to a "My engine blew up thread" like a bad car wreck. Sure you probably passed by a few thousand cars that weren't wrecked on your way to work today, but you are only going to think about and talk about the two you saw in that wreck. I'm sure there are hundreds of completely stock Camaros out there that have had similar failures, they just don't frequent this site.

I have worked on a lot of cars and people that don't know much about cars always ask the same questions. "Why did my xxxx go out? It only has xx,xxx miles?" Cause it was a defective xxxx. "What's the next thing that is going to go out on my car?" If I could see the future I wouldn't be working on your car, I'd be out buying lottery tickets.

It does suck that GM is not honoring warranties if you have certain mods or a tune, but it's not like none of us weren't warned when we bought the car. If you start to tinker with something you can't expect GM to fix it if it goes bad.

Not really sure what the point of this post is, I'm just ranting and I'm not sleepy yet.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:19 AM   #2
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
thank you. there are A LOT more camaros modded over how many of the modded had problems. what would you say the low mile range is ?
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:25 AM   #3
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
thank you. there are A LOT more camaros modded over how many of the modded had problems. what would you say the low mile range is ?
To me a low mileage motor is under 25k or so, but that's like asking someone how fat is too fat.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:34 AM   #4
Camaro_hx
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS CGM
Send a message via MSN to Camaro_hx
Failures even happen to cars that just come out from Pre-Delivery Inspection! (seen it).

But seriously, keeping your motor stock is "healthier" in the sence reducing its chancing to break-down on you, and increase its life span and condition.
Camaro_hx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:50 AM   #5
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_h View Post
Failures even happen to cars that just come out from Pre-Delivery Inspection! (seen it).

But seriously, keeping your motor stock is "healthier" in the sence reducing its chancing to break-down on you, and increase its life span and condition.
Healthier just like never eating a big juicy burger is healthier. Me personally, I'm going to have the most fun while I'm still kicking!
Old 06-16-2011, 01:55 AM   #6
mikeSS

Quote:

ya but its fun to mod. i have great memories of modding my car.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:57 AM   #7
Camaro_hx
Account Suspended

ofcourse its fun and im down with that!
I'm just pleading against the subject, thats all.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:58 AM   #8
Jason7
NorCalCamaros.com

Drives: 2010 2SS White
Mod the Shit out of it....its a sport, hobby, interest or just a commuter.... If its a commuter great but anything other than that, GO FOR IT.... I bought this car to have fun, I bought this car to grow and learn... This car isn't my everything its my hobby therefore broken parts will be replaced. If your going to bitch about failures or catastrophs then stick with a Honda civic and an aem intake....PERIOD!

NOW, who has the best intake?, lmfao!!!! Continue the modding fellas..

Jason
Jason7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:00 AM   #9
mikeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason7 View Post
Mod the Shit out of it....its a sport, hobby, interest or just a commuter.... If its a commuter great but anything other than that, GO FOR IT.... I bought this car to have fun, I bought this car to grow and learn... This car isn't my everything its my hobby therefore broken parts will be replaced. If your going to bitch about failures or catastrophs then stick with a Honda civic and an aem intake....PERIOD!

NOW, who has the best intake?, lmfao!!!! Continue the modding fellas..

Jason
Old 06-16-2011, 02:01 AM   #10
Jason7
NorCalCamaros.com

Lol, well mike I've taken a few things from you, what can I say..? Lol

Jason
Old 06-16-2011, 02:04 AM   #11
mikeSS

Quote:
ofcourse its fun and im down with that!
I'm just pleading against the subject, thats all.
i will say one thing, i do stress over my car more than before when it was stock. just the thought it breaking down on the road and having to take it into the dealership. when it was stock i beat the hell of it, even had to fight the dealership to fix my car one time. i was pretty much stock, they said i was doing to many burnouts. i am not going to comment on if i was or not.
but it was fun to take it out everyday and just floor it all the time. hahah good times.

now i have more feelings for the car, and like to treat her nice.

sometimes i do regret modding.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:06 AM   #12
Camaro_hx
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
i will say one thing, i do stress over my car more than before when it was stock. just the thought it breaking down on the road and having to take it into the dealership. when it was stock i beat the hell of it, even had to fight the dealership to fix my car one time. i was pretty much stock, they said i was doing to many burnouts. i am not going to comment on if i was or not.
but it was fun to take it out everyday and just floor it all the time. hahah good times.

now i have more feelings for the car, and like to treat her nice.

sometimes i do regret modding.
i hear you.. and cus my intention to have it as a DD, im holding myself back in going crazy with mods... the only mod i have is the Flowmaster full exhaust system.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:12 AM   #13
Jason7
NorCalCamaros.com

I'm not saying beat the help out of it I'm only saying make sure you remember why you bought it...
TO HAVE FUN, and look great doing it....

Jason
Old 06-16-2011, 07:05 AM   #14
S-eatin-grin

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS AGM
My only regret thus far with modding is that I'm going to end up with a $65,000 dollar Camaro that no one will buy for more than $40,000 if I'm lucky....looks like I'm keeping her for a LONG time!
S-eatin-grin is offline   Reply With Quote