Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-01-2018, 08:10 PM   #1
faninc

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS in SIM
Make your V6 Feel Like the L99 V8!

Hi All,

I have had (3) Gen 5 Camaro's dating back to my 2LT RS from 2010, ordered right after the NY Car show- when it was displayed in SIM.

I sold for a 2013 2SS and added a CAI. Loved the car and it pulled strong and could tell the V8 differential, at about 80 HP from 3.6L!

I sold in 2017. I just purchased a 2014 2LT RS convertible, from the original owner. I put in a CAI and did not notice much-added power. I recently installed a Vitesse Throttle Controller and WOW! The instant response and feel are simply amazing! The car feels like a totally different car. It reminded me closely of my L99 V8 2SS. I know some will challenge me, but trust me on this - if you have the V6 this is a MUST MOD and best one for under $180!
Forget the headers and whole new full exhaust- this unit will provide far more change in "feeling" of power. While your 0-60MPH is unlikely to change, you will feel an amazing increase in instant throttle, pull and all new fun in driveability!

The V6 has a fair amount of lag built into the gas pedal and throttle body. This device totally eliminates it!

I have no relation to the company and am just a Camaro enthusiast sharing a great product experience after being skeptical.

Good Luck!
faninc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 09:40 PM   #2
0-120

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS LS3
All it does is change how much throttle is being engaged based on pedal position. I would save the money for actual performance mods. It is neat to wake up the accelerator though.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:36 PM   #3
faninc

Yes, it wakes up the car very very significantly- more so to the feel than CAI mod or headers or new exhaust. While they add about 10-20 HP across all three of those mods (perhaps) you can spend overt $1000 or more ! Still wont get the improved throttle that $180 buys you.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:32 AM   #4
alice

Drives: 2010 camaro limited edition turbo
Absolutely agree! Makes the car fun to drive. Best low budget mod you can make.
alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:35 AM   #5
ramil13

Drives: 2015 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT RS
If you plan on modding your car more to the point it will be tuned again then this tune isnt worth it unfortunately.
K&N intake, Custom Tune, Billet Catch Can, K.C's Ported 72mm TB & IM, Jacfab IM Spacer, Primary/Secondary Cat & Muffler Delete, Magnaflow Xpipe, 2.5" Straightpiped, GM Strut Tower Brace, Mace Engineering Cams, Solo Performance J pipes, Magnaflow Resonators x 2

340rwhp Dyno

ramil13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:40 AM   #6
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
I mean, the throttle controller isn't necessary if you get the car tuned. It does the same thing, plus the actual power and efficiency increases. The stock throttle map is awful, yes, but the throttle controller isn't worth it.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:50 AM   #7
rozarioorlan

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LS
I’m gonna be the different one here and admit I have always used a throttle controller with my tunes the last 3 years. When I had Trifecta I used the Vitesse and now with Overkill I am using the Stealth 3.0. Of course out of the two the tune is the far better option, however the throttle controller itself is an awesome little device despite some negativity in the community. To be fair though, I can’t run the controller sensitivity too high with the tune or else it’s undriveable at low speeds but cruising and stop light to stop light it’s nice to have a little boost of that sensitivity with the controller!
2013 2LS - K&N CAI, Overkill Ported 80mm Throttle Body, Overkill E85 Kit and Overkill Tune, Jacfab Ported Intake Manifold and Spacer, Stealth 3.0 TC, ARH Catted Downpipes, Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe, Resonator Delete, Jones Full Boar Racing Mufflers, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Seperator
rozarioorlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 02:33 PM   #8
faninc

Good Luck All- great inexpensive tool to not void warranty and make the awful stock mapping into a really fun car to drive! Provides the car an entirely better pull and response!
Old 12-02-2018, 02:41 PM   #9
VickyLyn

Drives: perfectly pink
Great to learn about this rather cost-effective option.
VickyLyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:39 AM   #10
12blkgrayRS

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS 2LT 6spd man
I have to turn mine down at the track on my old car (RS V6), it would kill my top end for some reason.
12blkgrayRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:03 PM   #11
Roader

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
I mean, the throttle controller isn't necessary if you get the car tuned. It does the same thing, plus the actual power and efficiency increases. The stock throttle map is awful, yes, but the throttle controller isn't worth it.
Power increases?
Roader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:22 PM   #12
krisprz2010camaross

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss/Rs Transformers
Quote:

Facts^
Vararam intake(tune model)
Kooks LT headers & cats delete
Corsa ZL1 3" exhaust
RedBarn Racing Tune
CMS Stage 3 Cam
AFR CNC ported heads
MSD Spark plug wires
LNC-2000 Launch controller
NGK TR6 Spark Plugs
1le strut tower brace-TPIS spacers
Nick Williams 102mm throttle body
Fast lsxr 102 intake manifold
Slp 25% UDP
Katech Tensioner Pulley
Circle D 3600-3700 multi disk Stall
GM 3.91 gears
DDS carbon fiber driveshaft
ZL1 fuel pump & injectors
Flex fuel sensor(91/E85)
https://wheelwell.com/kris-perez
krisprz2010camaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:26 PM   #13
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
Why wouldn't it be worth it? Not everyone wants to throw away their powertrain warranty for a tune.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:51 PM   #14
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
I mean, it goes one of two ways. If you aren't gonna keep the car, why mod it, as any mods done to the car could be money saved for a larger payment on a new one. If you are gonna keep the car, at this point all 2013s and some 2014s will be out of warranty as it's coming up on that 5 year mark, also assuming one isn't over the 100k mile mark, like I am for example. So what, one model year of Camaros is included in that statement? And the OP drives a 2010? At this point the car deserves to be tuned. Lol. And if you do get a tune, what do you do with the throttle controller? Leave it on even though now it does nothing so that you can justify spending the money? It's just not worth it. Spend it elsewhere.

@Roader yeah... a tune gives you a power increase. Lol
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote