Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-30-2019, 08:47 AM   #1
Cambo

Drives: 2010 V6 RS
MRT v2 cold start and idle

Good morning!

I know that there are a lot of threads about exhaust and I'm sure plenty about the MRT v2. But I have a question I haven't been able to find an answer to.

How loud is the MRT v2 cold start and idle? I leave for work at 3:00am and I live in a quiet neighborhood with a lot of older retired people. Sometimes during the colder weather I'll have to idle while my windows defrost. I don't really want a super loud idle that will rattle my neighbour's bedrooms. I just want to get out of my neighborhood before making a ton of noise! Based on the YouTube videos I've watch it doesn't seem that much louder but it's really hard to tell much from videos. I'm just about to pull the trigger on it I just don't want to regret buying it!

Can I get some opinions on this? I wanted the v1 but I know it's got a much louder idle so that one's out. I'll also be adding an x-pipe as well.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Cambo; 08-30-2019 at 09:03 AM.
Cambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 10:39 PM   #2
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
My wife has a 2014 camaro rs convertible, LFX v6, with Solo HFC’s with resonators to straight pipes then to MRT v2. It’s got a good tone. On cold starts it sounds a touch quieter than say a v8 with HFC’s . It quickly settles down then has a tone idle a touch above the stock system. Her car seems to come alive with sound when she starts driving it or jumping on the gas. Honestly the mufflers are not the restriction of the sound on the v6 models, it’s the cats pretty much on any car that are the biggest restriction of sound. I did run her car with just the solo HFC’s on it and I personally thought it sounded the best. We added the MRT v2’s on after and it tamed the sound. She is happy with it . I don’t think you’ll get much out of it by changing the mufflers other than some weight reduction. You are better off getting some HFC’s first. The sound will be similar to stock until you jump on it . You’ll also gain some horsepower to from going to HFC’s. Or for more sound and horsepower go no cats and get a tune. Start at the cats first. Then go to the h pipe section and go to x pipe. Do mufflers last that way you can adjust the tone to your wishes since there is nothing gained from mufflers other than tone.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:44 PM   #3
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
You neighbors would hate you if you had my 1LE with full naked 3” exhaust...lol. Lucky my neighbors are all pretty cool and all stop over to see what more car work I got going on , including some of the seniors.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:30 AM   #4
Cambo

Thank you for the response! I'll look in to doing cats for now if I can't afford to do both.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:26 AM   #5
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
I have the MRT 2.0 (going on 9+ years now), along with headers, and Magnaflow X pipe. At start up, it is a little loud, I hear it once a week as I walk the trash cans down to the curb after start up and the garage is open, and I do this at 3:30 AM. Not loud enough in my opinion to bother anyone. Once it idles down, (less than 1 minute), it sounds as stock as anything else in the sub division.

That said, my wife has heard me leave the sub when I get out on the main road approx. 1/2 mile away, and she mentioned she can hear when I get on it pretty good.

So I think of it as having the best of both worlds.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:07 AM   #6
Cambo

Glad to hear that. Thanks!
Old 09-04-2019, 08:10 AM   #7
Cambo

Follow up hypothetical question: Would straight piping my secondary cats make it much louder? I wouldn't do it since it's illegal, but was just curious how it affects sound.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:07 PM   #8
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
yes it will be slightly louder, and without the magna flow X pipe it will for sure be more raspy.