Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 10-12-2018, 10:20 AM   #1
SSShark

Drives: '23 1SS Sharkskin A10
Mods to-do list

I am very new to the forum and need some advice. I do not plan on doing a tune anytime soon, but I plan on some immediate modding. I don't want a CAI because I don't like the hissing sound. Would I see any worthwhile gains from a bigger throttle body, catted downpipe, and intercooler pipes? I also have the Flowmaster axle-back. Or would any of those those mods require a tune? Or would any of those mods cause damage without a tune?
SSShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:24 AM   #2
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
If you are planning on doing those mods and not tuning the car your gonna miss out on a lot of HP and your gonna have a check engine light come on. As far as not wanting a CAI because of the hissing sound the Roto-Fab system does offer the sound tube delete option for you !

Cheers,

Kayla L.
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:33 AM   #3
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
Roto Fab does not make anything for the 2.0 Camaro. A "catted" Downpipe will NOT set off a CEL. It has minimal gains without a tune. It does help the car sound better. A CAI has minimal performance gains without a tune. A larger 67mm throttle body and charge pipes smooths out the power band a bit and adds a little more pull to the top end on a stock tune. JacFab just came out with better recirculation valve that aids in a stronger powerband but sets off a CEL. Depending on where you live or if you plan on taking the car to the track, an aftermarket intercooler is highly recommended. A tune is the only way to take full advantage of the potential of this engine. The stock ECU will shut down any gains beyond the pre programmed factory tune. However, you can get slight improvements in between the stock ECU parameters.
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance

Last edited by Start The Machine; 10-12-2018 at 12:24 PM.
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:41 AM   #4
SSShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Sales View Post
If you are planning on doing those mods and not tuning the car your gonna miss out on a lot of HP and your gonna have a check engine light come on. As far as not wanting a CAI because of the hissing sound the Roto-Fab system does offer the sound tube delete option for you !

Cheers,

Kayla L.
Thanks Kayla. I just bought the car and don't want to void the warranty just yet. Also, which one of those mods will cause a CEL?
Old 10-12-2018, 11:42 AM   #5
JDP Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start The Machine View Post
Roto Fab does not make anything for the 2.0 Camaro.
Your right they do not. I apologize for that. Sure wish they did though, they are one heck of a system!

Cheers,

Kayla L.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:02 PM   #6
JDP Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyfl2004 View Post
Thanks Kayla. I just bought the car and don't want to void the warranty just yet. Also, which one of those mods will cause a CEL?
The down-pipe would be the culprit of the CEL. You clear the code but sooner or later it will pop up again. Totally understand not wanting to void the warranty. Instead of going a bigger throttle body I would look into porting your stock one instead. Pete over at VMAX does an amazing job and it's already a stock GM part so the tech wont know the difference .

Cheers,

Kayla L.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:26 PM   #7
SSShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Sales View Post
The down-pipe would be the culprit of the CEL. You clear the code but sooner or later it will pop up again. Totally understand not wanting to void the warranty. Instead of going a bigger throttle body I would look into porting your stock one instead. Pete over at VMAX does an amazing job and it's already a stock GM part so the tech wont know the difference .

Cheers,

Kayla L.
So even a catted downpipe would cause a CEL? I was hoping it wouldn't.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:31 PM   #8
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
Kayla... please stop. You are in the 2.0 section. Nothing you are saying is correct. A catted Downpipe does not set off a CEL. VMAX does not port our tiny 57mm stock throttle bodies. GM makes a 67mm throttle body that fits this engine.
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 01:18 PM   #9
SSShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start The Machine View Post
Kayla... please stop. You are in the 2.0 section. Nothing you are saying is correct. A catted Downpipe does not set off a CEL. VMAX does not port our tiny 57mm stock throttle bodies. GM makes a 67mm throttle body that fits this engine.
Deleted

Last edited by SSShark; 10-21-2018 at 07:14 PM.