Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 07-23-2015, 02:15 PM   #29
rfopt

Drives: 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSpeeder View Post
I'd bet money that GM has and can detect a tune, but could you please provide a link to a thread where someone flashed their car back to stock and then had their warranty denied due to the flash counter not matching up? These cars have been out for a long time, it seems like it would have happened more than once by now.
Here is a link to a thread discussing a C7 corvette owner that claimed to have had their engine replaced under warranty later on after uninstalling a Diablosport tune. Granted this is not a LS3, however, FWIW.

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...post1590037089
rfopt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 04:07 PM   #30
Vroom_vroom
The gritos pollo!!!

Drives: Like a idiot
Why is it that no one buys a second computer and swaps the computer out when you go in?
o; Slp loud mouth I|maganflow x-pipe|Injen long ram intake
|brembo brake upgrade| russell s.s. lines|2LT polished 19's|billet 5mm spacers|tinted tail lights&markers|pdmi|billet c. can|
'13 Avenger R/T
'77 T/A 6.6;, draining my wallet.
Vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 04:43 PM   #31
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom_vroom View Post
Why is it that no one buys a second computer and swaps the computer out when you go in?
Other networked modules on the car count the ECM flashes also.

Bottom line is this age-old argument is unwinnable. If the dealer suspects wrongdoing in a powertrain warranty scenario, they will turn the car inside-out and will find what they need to suggest warranty denial to the corporate offices, and corporate will support it. I used to be a dealer service manager and we did it all the time.

Never mod anything you can't afford to push over a cliff. /End argument.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:00 AM   #32
yescats

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS L99 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSpeeder View Post
That doesn't really answer the question, I've personally met people who have been denied warranty work due to their car "being abused."

A lot of guys keep bringing up the flash count as being an issue, but I've yet to read about a single case of someone having an issue with their flash count not matching up, as though the dealers keep a running record of the amount of times that your car has been hooked up to their computer. Does anyone have a link to a single case where that happened, or are people just being paranoid about something that has never actually happened?

Link?
I can't find anyone denied based on flash count either. How about making that a sticky challenge.

I challenge anyone to prove they were denied warranty service based on flash count!
yescats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:43 AM   #33
VTSummit
Consistently inconsistent

Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
I absolutely know it's been done on another brand- but so far not on a GM yet.
2015 2LT Ported TB, Ported intake, JACFAB intake spacer, Borla exhaust, IPF 91 tune, Complete 1/LE suspension, Brembo brakes, Goodridge lines, Elite catch can, CAI with Thermo-wrap, 275/40-20 x 10's all around, Z/28 spoiler, GM splitter, Alpine/Polk stereo with AudiControl interface.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:40 AM   #34
1Canuck

Drives: 2014 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post

Bottom line is this age-old argument is unwinnable. If the dealer suspects wrongdoing in a powertrain warranty scenario, they will turn the car inside-out and will find what they need to suggest warranty denial to the corporate offices, and corporate will support it. I used to be a dealer service manager and we did it all the time.

Unless a mod actually caused an issue I think it would be bad business to deny a warranty claim.
There has to be a limit before a tune could/would create a situation that would create damage. Most vehicles have left something on the table due to EPA & mpg concerns.
Those wanting a stealth tune or a way to flash back to stock, are you admitting you are crossing the line with that flashed tune that may cause damage and want to avoid taking responsibility. They are after all providing a warranty that should their stock product fail they will fix it at their cost.
1Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:08 PM   #35
yescats

Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess A View Post
Nobody has ever "proved" stealth tunes are untraceable. You can claim it all you want, but I challenge anyone to send their stealth tuned info to GM and dare them to check it.

If you prove you tuned it, and GM verifies it's still "stock", then let the evidence speak for itself. If they don't look for it, then maybe. But if you dare them to look for it, I'd be interested in the outcome.

Until then, I don't care what ANYONE says that they can't detect an aftermarket tune. It's pure BS.

Unless, of course, the Diablo doesn't actually tune the car...
What really counts is nobody has been denied a warranty based on flash count. If you can prove someone has, "I'd be interested in the outcome."
Old 08-06-2015, 03:15 PM   #36
yescats

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Canuck View Post
Those wanting a stealth tune or a way to flash back to stock, are you admitting you are crossing the line with that flashed tune that may cause damage and want to avoid taking responsibility. They are after all providing a warranty that should their stock product fail they will fix it at their cost.
It's obvious who are teacher's pets and who are the bad boys and girls. It's like grammar school all over again.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:42 PM   #37
VTSummit

If I get a car with a smoked engine because it was run lean and the flash count reveals a tune, you will have a problem. Luckily, most people aren't idiots when it comes to driving the car with an issue. Personally, I wouldn't try to get someone else to pay for something *I* broke, but this world has become a place where people are always wanting something for nothing.
2015 2LT Ported TB, Ported intake, JACFAB intake spacer, Borla exhaust, IPF 91 tune, Complete 1/LE suspension, Brembo brakes, Goodridge lines, Elite catch can, CAI with Thermo-wrap, 275/40-20 x 10's all around, Z/28 spoiler, GM splitter, Alpine/Polk stereo with AudiControl interface.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:46 PM   #38
yescats

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSummit View Post
If I get a car with a smoked engine because it was run lean and the flash count reveals a tune, you will have a problem. Luckily, most people aren't idiots when it comes to driving the car with an issue. Personally, I wouldn't try to get someone else to pay for something *I* broke, but this world has become a place where people are always wanting something for nothing.
Yes many have been conditioned to think a corporation like GM is a person and they live in a world where everyone is looking for a handout. And there's even a news network that reinforces those beliefs. But that's a good thing. Helps the middle class feel self-righteous while they're being bent over.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:48 PM   #39
yescats

Quote:
I absolutely know it's been done on another brand- but so far not on a GM yet.
Know what's done? Please quote what you're commenting on.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:55 PM   #40
yescats

Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post

The dealer is an independent business. They've told me that many times. Why would they want to deny a warranty claim? Isn't it Chevy/GM who would send out an inspector or at least have to authorize the repair be the one who would dig ask they dig deeper? Why would the dealer want to initiate something that would surely cause them to lose a customer and possibly result in a lawsuit?
Old 08-06-2015, 07:48 PM   #41
VTSummit

How can a dealer end up in a lawsuit over a car with a tune and warranty being denied? Won't happen. GM provides warranty, not a dealer. If there's ANY doubt warranty will pay, YOU will. If a tune (which we will see) provides doubt, we can send the car out the door. Not saying I would, but I can, and you'd have to take it somewhere else. I've taken in cars that other dealers did this to.
Nearly everyone IS looking to blame someone else when they break their car- I deal with those people every day. I'm supposed to believe that the center console latch broke in 3 pieces due to a defect, or that the seat side trim is broken off entirely by itself and has nothing to do with the 430lb driver. Don't forget the bent wheel with curb rash at 20K miles that is "obviously defective." Every. Damn. Day.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:11 PM   #42
yescats

Quote:
How can a dealer end up in a lawsuit over a car with a tune and warranty being denied? Won't happen. GM provides warranty, not a dealer. If there's ANY doubt warranty will pay, YOU will. If a tune (which we will see) provides doubt, we can send the car out the door. Not saying I would, but I can, and you'd have to take it somewhere else. I've taken in cars that other dealers did this to.
Nearly everyone IS looking to blame someone else when they break their car- I deal with those people every day. I'm supposed to believe that the center console latch broke in 3 pieces due to a defect, or that the seat side trim is broken off entirely by itself and has nothing to do with the 430lb driver. Don't forget the bent wheel with curb rash at 20K miles that is "obviously defective." Every. Damn. Day.
I can see how you've become jaded dealing with that every day. But tuning a chip to stop it from switching a hundred times a day to 4 cylinders is something else entirely. It's most likely prolonging the life of the engine. If GM is denying warranties based on that they're using it as an excuse to rip off their customers.